Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
It's new, it's cool, and it's now live and ready for download on your iDevice. On Tuesday, Apple formally introduced its new standalone Podcasts app. Billed as "the easiest way...
06-26-2012, 12:55 PM #1
Apple Rolls Out New iOS 'Podcasts' App
It's new, it's cool, and it's now live and ready for download on your iDevice.
On Tuesday, Apple formally introduced its new standalone Podcasts app. Billed as "the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch," Apple says users can readily explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the "Podcasts Catalog."
My first impression confirms that the new app delivers a lot of the aesthetics and features users would otherwise expect and count on from such an app. By all accounts, the app conjures the appearance and general feel of the new iTunes and App Store coming in iOS 6 later this year.
With a wicked cool interface that could definitely be classified as "retro" and highly animated, there's a nifty assortment of features and functions to tinker with, including bookmarking and jumping.
Here's what Apple says:
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
The Podcasts app works with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd gen), iPod touch (4th gen) and iPad. It does, however, require iOS 5.1 or later.
To check it out, click here.
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM #2
Guess they wanted them to be found easier than through iTunes and the Video's App. This is gonna confuse the hell out of my dad... haha
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM #3
And there's still no possible way to see a list of chapters on an m4a/m4b/aac file, which sucks... Nice app though, it makes listening to podcasts kinda enjoyable.
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM #4Finally
It's about time
06-26-2012, 09:58 PM #5
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM #6
Automatically downloading new episodes is a BIG plus for me, as long as I can tell it to only do so on WiFi. I download a new 2-hour Trance Around the World techno mix podcast every week from Above and Beyond, and it kinda sucks having to always check back for the new episode every weekend.
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM #7
The problem is that on a jailbroken iPhone the download doesn't work. You can only stream!!! I tested this on 3 JB iPhones, i.e. 3GS, 4 and 4S.