+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 Maps All About Yelp Check-Ins

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default iOS 6 Maps All About Yelp Check-Ins

Among the laundry list of dazzling new features that will arrive this fall with iOS 6, one of the stand-out attractions is the revamped Maps application. And, as it turns out, the more we delve into the new Maps app, the more impressive attributes we discover.

As highlighted in ample detail Monday by Bloomberg, the iPhone map application will deliver Yelp's “check-in” feature. "The Apple developer kit," the report reads, "which was given to programmers earlier this month and examined by Bloomberg, includes screen shots of Yelp check-ins within Apple Maps."

Making maps more social than ever, iOS 6 will basically help friends notify one another of their current locations in a very simple and straightforward kind of way. Yelp, of course, primarily enables users to rate and review retail establishments spanning multiple industries. But despite being less of a true social network than Facebook, it outwardly appears that Yelp has a more cushy position inside of iOS than Facebook, which is otherwise deeply integrated in the refreshed iOS.

As we've been hearing in recent months, Yelp is aggressively seeking now local advertising opportunities - something that more exposure through iOS will help. Yet even before the integration with iOS was made public, check-ins have already begun to flourish among the mobile masses. The Pew Research Center says that nearly 20% of all smartphone owners have used check-ins.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks

Wow..wonder what this integration cost Yelp? I must admit I actually use Yelp..not bad for restaurant reviews and all that. My question is do we really need yet another social media app? Every time I turn around there is another one popping up. Oh well..guess we shall see how it turns out in the coming months.

Thanks

No thanks, I do not care to let people know where I am all the time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Dare I say that I enjoy the occasional "check-in" on Foursquare, the occasional "specials" that go along with them, and the semi entertaining battle for a mayorship. I used to use Yelp, but got tired of "checking in" on both... I stopped using Yelp some time ago, but perhaps in iOS 6, the Yelp integration may have some additional value? Frequent visitor perks, (virtual punch cards), etc... I need to download Yelp again.....maybe it's changed quite a bit?

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

+1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You almost lost me at "dazzling new features arriving in iOS 6" but I decided to keep reading anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 915 Posts

+2!!!