+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NFC on Next-Gen iPhone Will 'Revolutionize' Airline Ticketing

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default NFC on Next-Gen iPhone Will 'Revolutionize' Airline Ticketing

It's one of the centerpieces of speculation surrounding the 6th generation iPhone: will it - or won't it - deliver Near Field Communications technology? Apple’s recently unveiled “Passbook” app, for example, seems indicative of NFC's imminent arrival this fall, when both the next-gen iPhone and iOS 6 finally reach consumers.

According to a new report coming to light on Monday, digital wallet and electronic ticketing services will make the Passbook app among the most popular features delivered by iOS 6. And one of the biggest industries to be impacted by this development will be the airline industry, or so says a prominent executive in the field.

Jim Peters, CTO at SITA, told delegates at this year’s Air Transport IT Summit in Brussels that they need to be prepared for the proliferation of near field communications (NFC) technology, which he predicts will become widespread before the end of the year.
    "Boarding passes are going to be the next step with this technology," Peters asserts. "NFC has had some tough times, because of problems similar to data sharing. This issue is around transaction sharing, where the network operators, Google and Blackberry are all arguing about who is going to get the money from all the NFC transactions. They aren't thinking about the user... Who is thinking of the user? Apple. They don't argue about it with anybody."

Peters believes that from where he stands, it's as clear as the rising sun that Apple will incorporate NFC into Passbook and into the 6th generation iPhone.

"There is a lot of debate that NFC will never take off because of all the arguments," Peters fconcludes. "But you need to get ready, this is coming. This is going to happen. By the end of the year the majority of smartphones that you go and buy will have NFC on them. If in October the next iPhone comes out and it has NFC on it, it's game over."

Source: IDG

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I dont' think it will and if it does, just like the Galaxy Nexus and S3 (I will be getting the S3 very soon), NFC will be a novelty. Something that will be used rarely because businesses won't adopt it. The most it will be used is to share stuff between people that you iOS users will have to wait until the 8th generation for the ability to share stuff between users. Gotta keep features out so new phones will have something new in them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I dont' think it will and if it does, just like the Galaxy Nexus and S3 (I will be getting the S3 very soon), NFC will be a novelty. Something that will be used rarely because businesses won't adopt it. The most it will be used is to share stuff between people that you iOS users will have to wait until the 8th generation for the ability to share stuff between users. Gotta keep features out so new phones will have something new in them.

Thanks

I tend to agree with you @GmAz. Apple and other phone providers are notorious for staggering technology, so that they don't put all of their eggs in one basket. As you stated it leaves them room to always have something up their sleeves for the next phone. How may times have we seen Cydia drop a cool hack, only to have Apple incorporate the same thing a year or two later and call it theirs haha! Guess its the nature of the business(room for growth) Hopefully the new iPhone has more wow factor than the 4S..faster is nice but Siri is still a disappointment to me..i don't even use it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As a corporate traveler, this would be cool.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have NFC on my device and I have never even thought about using once. Apparently though my friend in the UK says his GF uses it all the time. So its probably like you said a novelty item.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The popularity of the iPhone has, and will probably continue to strongly influence companies to adopt certain technologies. This will take time but I think the iPhone utilizing NFC will the biggest push towards it's rise in adoption.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Something like this would be great to take tolls on toll roads....you would barely have to slow down.....at least if it had its own lane. Or take money per ride in amusement parks...or perfect for movie theatres. Only problem is with all of these is they take jobs from people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What DirtyDiddler said. It could be the reason no one is using it is because Apple hasn't told them to yet. Of course, that didn't work for Newsstand but I think Apple's influence here could give NFC a boost.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

American Airlines may well move over to NFC, but as soon as you land outside out of the US, you are back to the good old paper boarding card, and you are hard pushed to find a paper boarding card with a barcode or QR code!

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    I have NFC on my device and I have never even thought about using once. Apparently though my friend in the UK says his GF uses it all the time. So its probably like you said a novelty item.
    She must hunt high and low throught the UK to find somewhere to use it, its very limited in London, easier to use cash or a card which will work in 100% of places

Thanks

Barclaycard contact less is available throughout the UK in just most shops you go in. What do you think that is if not NFC?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Banned
    Thanks

+1

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

I for one would love for NFC to be on my phone....even if I only used it for parking meters; eliminating the need to manually input a 7 or 8 digit number each time I park. Most of the meters I park at in SF support NFC (or you can manually input the meter number if you don't have NFC on your device) ... and the ability to extend your time remotely saves me a lot of $60 tickets.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

This is cool.... That is until the terrorists find a way to use it.... :-(