+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Insteon Begins Shipping World's First iPhone-Controlled Lightbulb

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Insteon Begins Shipping World's First iPhone-Controlled Lightbulb

Several years ago, a method to remote control a home lamp from an iPhone was discovered. The method involved recording the sound of someone clapping and playing it back when you wanted to switch the light on or off. Recently, a much more innovative way to do the same thing has been discovered – an iPhone-controlled lightbulb from Insteon.

The lightbulb is part of Insteon’s SmartHome range and embeds a radio transceiver in a 60-Watt LED bulb. It costs a reasonable $30 and can be dimmed and switched on and off from a range of Insteon controllers. The things get quite interesting when you add in the SmartLinc controller, which allows you to connect to the bulb’s proprietary network, allowing your iPhone in on the action. By using a companion app, you can fine-tune the lighting all over the house from your iPhone or iPad and even switch between preset “scenes.” The SmartLinc controller will set you back roughly $130, although you’ll only need one per household.

For those of you who are interested in learning more about how it works, you can check out the video below:

It’s definitely a luxury to have everything set up properly but it will provide a crazy amount of wow-factor to impress guests with. There is an elegant and simple convenience behind it all as well that some might see. If you are interested in setting everything up, you can do so as everything is available to purchase!

Source: Insteon

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Should I be excited about this? O.e

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been using Insteon in my home for about 5 years. I manually integrated it into my iPhone along with other software as soon as I got my phone. I love it. I control my lights, thermostat and music server, all from my iPhone....It also has saved me a lot of light bulb changes due to the ability to "soft start" them. It's great stuff. While it won't make a lot of economical sense due to the cost of the controllers etc, it is a great convenience and well worth it IMHO....

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Ive been using x10 to control my lights, appliances and my garage door with my iPhone. Very useful and user friendly. Works awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

another way to keep people doing everyday things with minimal effort. and the fatness continues

yet...i'm getting it

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahem...... It can be done from other phones also. Not limited to the IOS ecosphere.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.