Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ten Handy iPhone Functions You May Not Have Known About

Default Ten Handy iPhone Functions You May Not Have Known About

If you have an iPhone, then chances are you use it for more than just the Phone application. In fact, the iPhone is capable of so much that we as individuals don't even know about every single feature it can do. In this piece, we hope to help spread the word about some not-so-obvious features of iOS and the iPhone. So read on!

1. SMS Character Count

Length of text messages doesn’t matter to everyone, but to some, keeping messages just the right length is important. iOS includes a feature for showing you how many characters are in your text message – each message will hold 160 characters before it is split into multiple messages. It’s not enabled by default and you have to do some scavenging through Settings to find it. You will find it in the Messages preferences pane at the bottom of the list and enabling the switch will enable the feature in the Messages application, but not in third party text messaging platforms.

2. Swipe Left On Banners to Dismiss Them

Although the main point of iOS 5’s banner notification system was to keep you from being disturbed by alerts that would pause your video game or get in the way of finishing your text message, the banners can still cause problems when you’re in the middle of something as they sit there for a good three seconds. In a racing game, a lot can be accomplished in three seconds. If you want to get the banner out of your face while you are busy, you can manually dismiss it by swiping left on the banner when it appears. A nice dismissing animation will appear as the banner goes away.

3. Show Hourly Weather Forecasts

Seeing weather predictions by the day isn’t very accurate. If it says it’s going to rain, you might not even see the showers until far after 10:00 P.M., which means you’re in question of the weather all day long. Introduced in iOS 5, you can pull down on the current day from the Weather application and see an hourly forecast of the weather for the day. With this feature, you will know when the best time to go boating, fishing, or surfing will be. As a bonus, it even shows you the rain chances.

4. Enable the Famous Emoji Keyboard

If you were about to purchase that Emoji application from the App Store, don’t! You can enable the Emoji keyboard right from your keyboard settings in iOS 5. You will find it mixed in with all of the rest of the foreign keyboards. It’s odd that Apple doesn’t enable this keyboard by default, but a lot of App developers seem to take advantage of this in the App Store. To enable the Emoji keyboard, open the Settings application and navigate to General>Keyboard>International Keyboards>Add New Keyboard>Emoji. Now when you open the keyboard, you will find all your Emojis under the international key.

5. Make the Siri Voice Speak A Text Selection

The voice that powers Siri, better known as the Samantha voice, can be used to speak any text that is shown on your display. If you are hard at seeing, or if you just want to lay your iPhone on a table around a ton of people and have the iPhone speak a bunch of hilarious text, then you can use iOS’ built in speak selected text feature. To use it, you have to highlight any text on your screen, and then tap the Speak button that pops up. It can be text that you typed in Notes, or it can be text from the Internet – any text that isn’t an image. You can enable this feature from the Settings application by navigating to General>Accessibility>Speak Selection and turning the feature on with the switch.

6. Force Quit Any Application

Sometimes application don’t cooperate well. If you need to close one but the device ends up frozen because of it, iOS has a built in force-quit feature similar to that of Mac OS X that will run a command and close the application. To run the force quit feature while in a troublesome application, hold down the power button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider appears – once you do this, you can hold the home button down and the application will close. Now you can either try re-running the application or deleting it!

7. Correct A Siri Query

If you have a Siri enabled iOS device and Siri doesn’t always hear you correctly, there is no reason to repeat yourself. You can simply tap on any query that you make and a cursor and keyboard will appear allowing you to edit the query the way you meant it to be understood by that wonderful assistant. This feature is wonderfully helpful when you are in a location where you have to be quiet and repeating yourself probably isn’t a good idea. Siri will then process your edited query.

8. Stop All Music When the Timer Stops

iOS comes with a feature that allows you to stop all music when the timer is up instead of playing an alert. This is particularly helpful for parties or when you are dozing off to music. You can set the timer for 30 minutes or so when you are about to fall asleep and then you can fall asleep with the peace of mind that you won’t have a dead battery by the time you wake up. As far as parties go, you can have timed music for specific events. You will find this feature hidden all the way at the bottom of the timer section in the Clock application.

9. Scroll to Top

Some people have probably figured this feature out by now, but it isn’t too obvious. If you are looking through scrollable content, such as that of a long Web site, you can tap on the status bar to return to the top of the page. This is a particularly handy feature because it can be tiring to fling your finger upwards to get that inertial speed necessary to get to the top of a really long page quickly. This feature doesn't work in applications without scrollable content. It works in third party applications like Facebook too, so if you get too far down into the new Timeline feature, you can easily find your way up.

10. Swipe to Camera Roll

Introduced in iOS 5, you can swipe your finger to the right in the Camera application to display your Camera Roll. The Camera roll will literally swipe right into place and there will be a button that can take you right back to the camera again. This is great for being able to quickly view a photograph that you just took so you can make sure it looks the way you want it to. If it doesn’t you can quickly return to the camera and try again.

If you knew of some of these features, you’re well informed. If you knew about all of them, then you’re an iGenius. Hopefully, if you didn’t know about many of these features, then you will be using them from now on! Enjoy all of the little features of iOS that make the iPhone great.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-21-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Home button calibration was the incorrect function handled by the button combination.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (06-21-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

How long has the banner dismissing been a feature? what was the need for banner dismissal tweaks then?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Hourly weather never knew. I'm a noob

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Dang...9 outta 10. I didn't know about #2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oh cool, the weather, slide for camera roll, and home button calibration are things I didn't know. Just tried the home button calibrate and hope that'll fix my sometimes laggy home button response.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Hourly weather never knew. I'm a noob
    BIGGEST NOOB EVER!!! Lol jk I didn't know that one either.

Thanks

Oh alright it's like that huh that's cool. Just found out about the camera one the other day

#6 on the list you speak of to calibrate the home button is false. All that does is manually kill the app. You cant calibrate the home button. Its just an electrical switch that that creates an open in the circuit. Its either open or closed and thats it. But dont get me wrong, iphones have been known to have home button issues. And especially the iphone 4. I replace them all the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    #6 on the list you speak of to calibrate the home button is false. All that does is manually kill the app. You cant calibrate the home button. Its just an electrical switch that that creates an open in the circuit. Its either open or closed and thats it. But dont get me wrong, iphones have been known to have home button issues. And especially the iphone 4. I replace them all the time.
    For real? Well, at least I learned something new lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Oh alright it's like that huh that's cool. Just found out about the camera one the other day
    Aw stop the sad face lol.

Nice. Did not know about the character count. Also calibrated the home button and I had wondered where that emoji keyboard was. Actually a helpful article thanks
    Luke

Didn't know about dismissing the banners that way. As for tapping the status bar to go to the top of a page, I want a tweak to disable that. It can mess with my activator settings which I like a lot.

differently interesting

the sms count will be very useful for me

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Didn't know about dismissing the banners that way. As for tapping the status bar to go to the top of a page, I want a tweak to disable that. It can mess with my activator settings which I like a lot.
    Under settings/notifications you can set it to use the old popup style alerts instead of the new banners. No tweaks needed for that.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

Good stuff Anthony, learned a few things myself.

i knew about all of those features but i do agree i dont think the home button trick actually works i have tried it before and didnt notice any difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,029 Posts

Didn't know about the Banner Dismissal. That'll be helpful!

I thought the Sleep/Home Button combo was for killing apps, too!?!? That's an old trick from iOS 3.x (I think)...

Great article!

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    How long has the banner dismissing been a feature? what was the need for banner dismissal tweaks then?
    since iOS 5.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    Great article!
    Agree very good read for sure. I bet alot of people will learn something out of this. Wonder if they have more tips and tricks

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Great article. Never knew about the banner dismissal and home button calibration. I thought my
    Home button was getting worn out after 2 years but it's working better now.

Banned
    Thanks

I know just about all in that list except for the Home button reset which I needed to do. Thanks for that.
    I think its better now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast