+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TechCrunch: Manufacturers Confirm Apple Will Adopt Smaller 19-Pin Connector

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Photo leaked earlier this month reportedly showing smaller dock connector featured in the iPhone 5. TechCrunch claims to have independently verified “that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port”
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default TechCrunch: Manufacturers Confirm Apple Will Adopt Smaller 19-Pin Connector

Photo leaked earlier this month reportedly showing smaller dock connector featured in the iPhone 5.

TechCrunch claims to have independently verified “that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port” to the new iPhone.

The new smaller connector would replace the larger 30-pin connector Apple has used for millennia. The new connector, which will presumably save space and possibly be faster, will likely result in a few angry accessory manufacturers. TechCrunch wasn’t able to verify the legitimacy of the recent iPhone enclosure leaks, leaving the final iPhone 5 design a mystery.

The similarity in size to Apple and Intel’s Thunderbolt port technology is merely coincidence according to TechCrunch as the “three independent manufacturers” said “the pin-out will be different.” Using Thunderbolt as the native I/O connector for the iPhone would be a little less than smart considering the cost of Thunderbolt cables and its limited availability especially outside of the Apple world (where 90% of people reside).

The news is still unofficial from Apple, and judging by TechCrunch’s sources, much of the accessory manufacturing world is waiting for Apple to release details on the new standard, leaving many in development limbo. If Apple’s MagSafe 2 is any indication the company is all about saving space or rather creating more space inside of their devices, which will be a necessity if Apple wants to have room to power a larger Retina Display in the iPhone 5.

Source: TechCrunch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 841 Posts

Is that a headphone jack next to the plug??? WTH?

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

So it looks like the old school magnetic MagSafe charger

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Yup....there have been rumors that they r moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
    El Zurdo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Yup....there have been rumors that they r moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
    Hmmm, not sure I'm a fan of that. Guess we couldn't dock it and use headphones at the same time anymore

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm, not sure I'm a fan of that. Guess we couldn't dock it and use headphones at the same time anymore
    COMMON USB 3.0
    How often do u actually dock your iPhone?
    Some docks also have a built in headphone jack plugin in the back

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

one of the rumors (which i hope is true) is that the headphone jack moves to the bottom like the ipod touch. This would be less stress on the headphone jack and less tangle in my pocket!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    COMMON USB 3.0
    How often do u actually dock your iPhone?
    Some docks also have a built in headphone jack plugin in the back
    I used to daily at work until the dock broke and decided not to replace it (replaced it with just a cable). A dock like the one you describe (I think all official Apple docks are that way?) would be required.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonIphone4_help View Post
    one of the rumors (which i hope is true) is that the headphone jack moves to the bottom like the ipod touch. This would be less stress on the headphone jack and less tangle in my pocket!
    I thought that they had the jack on the bottom of the ipod touch so that users could quickly distinguish between the phone and ipod touch.

And just a question but why would it matter if the jack was on the top or bottom if the thing is in your pocket?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

This will just look ridiculous on my dock now :/ plugging it in with the headphone jack rather than the dock connector :/ hope they's a part you can buy that let's you connect it as you would with original iPhones, iPod, etc.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

So now I'll have to have to add one more cable to my iMac, and a third charger to my room that only has two outlets...Not that this is a bad change, just seems unnecessary

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

2 words iPod touch

Thanks

Yeah I don't think the headphone jack for iPod touch was so people could determine iPod touch to iPhones. Anyways there's been word yes it will be on bottom of the phone. Apples dock has/will have a headphone jack on the dock so your not moving far. Also the headphone jack for iPhone 5. Just think if you had headphones in your pocket the cord would be upside down in your pocket. For people who put phones in their pocket right side up they gotta maneuver the phone around when they take it out. Instead this time the cord isn't bending and you can grab your phone as you please

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh great, now I can't use iOS6 on my iPad, now all my expensive docks and alarm clocks will not be compatible.

Green Apple
    Thanks

some of you are saying it won't fit in your current dock with the jack on bottom,,, did you completely miss that the plug will be different?? Your dock won't work anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

if this is a "redesign" it will suck. simply making the phone taller with some modifications to the bottom doesn't sound like a big change to me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14u2nv View Post
    some of you are saying it won't fit in your current dock with the jack on bottom,,, did you completely miss that the plug will be different?? Your dock won't work anyway.
    Well yeah we can only assume that they will bring out another dock lol thats all I meant

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14u2nv View Post
    That's what I was thinking....All existing docks will be useless (without some ugly converter), and I would bet that virtually all future docks will have a headphone jack built in.
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am very thankful that my happiness isn't tied to the size of my phone's plug.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    This will just look ridiculous on my dock now :/ plugging it in with the headphone jack rather than the dock connector :/ hope they's a part you can buy that let's you connect it as you would with original iPhones, iPod, etc.
    Same here because I have many devices that use the 30 pin dock. This will really hold me back from getting the new iPhone