+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TechCrunch: Manufacturers Confirm Apple Will Adopt Smaller 19-Pin Connector

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by sea.envy i am very thankful that my happiness isn't tied to the size of my phone's plug. +1. I only have just the iPhone and an iPad
    Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sea.envy View Post
    i am very thankful that my happiness isn't tied to the size of my phone's plug.
    +1. I only have just the iPhone and an iPad and I charge them separately

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    COMMON USB 3.0
    How often do u actually dock your iPhone?
    Some docks also have a built in headphone jack plugin in the back
    Everyday!!! my Jetta has a built in adaptor in the glove box that controls my iPhone from my steering wheel I can't do that with a headphone jack conecter

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i would personallynot like it to be smaller. i would rather they use that extra room in the 30pin to make it charge faster

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Do u know that even current 30-pin connector has 3 pins (or 2, if u count out common pin) for audio? that's how most dock speaker work. And both iPhone &iPod touch (with jack on the bottom) does work with those. Same thing when change to 19-pin, they will still have audio pin (maybe dynamic pins, can used for both audio and data).

Anyway, what 14u2nv said is dead correct. With complete new design, why bother about old stuff!?

Thanks

Whatever happened to the brave new world we were seeing a year or two ago, the one with wireless charging pads? And why not use BT for earbuds/headsets and do away with all wires. That would be a worthy step forward.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 06-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tampabuc2004 View Post
    And just a question but why would it matter if the jack was on the top or bottom if the thing is in your pocket?
    I usually put my phone upside-down into my pocket so when i pull it out, it will be upright. Or vice versa, esp. when my other hand is not free.) There goes your apple infamous earpiece cable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Enjoy wasting more money on apple adapters fanboi's, apple is good at one thing, taking your money.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    COMMON USB 3.0
    How often do u actually dock your iPhone?
    Some docks also have a built in headphone jack plugin in the back
    Yep, it sure looks like USB3 is coming...
    But would be happier ir they stick to some industrial standard....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dock my iPhone at work and like to listen to music while docked, so switching the headphone jack to the bottom makes me very unhappy. When the phone is on a desk or in a pocket it really doesn't matter which side has the jack, so I can't see a single reason to change it to the bottom (nor have I seen any put forth in any threads like this one).

The port on the back of docks isn't a solution either, and anybody who's actually taken the time to try it would immediately know why. Whether it's an official Apple dock or just about any third-party dock, the 'headphone' jack on the back is not a headphone jack, it's an auxiliary output (line out) jack meant to connect to a powered stereo system. When docked, the iPhone cannot control the outgoing volume to the dock's line-out jack; it's always at maximum. So unless you want to listen to your music at maximum volume or you have an expensive pair of headphones with its own volume control, you can't really use the dock's line-out jack for headphones.

Unless they specifically change the line-out jack on all new docks to a true headphone jack, docking the new iPhone won't be feasible if you want to listen to music via headphones at the same time. And I really don't see that jack changing from line-out to headphone-out given that current docks all have it the way it is for a reason.

iPod Touch users are already SOL over this with current docks. A co-worker recently bought a universal dock on a great sale for his Touch and was pretty disappointed to learn that he couldn't use it to listen to music the way I use mine. I don't blame him; having the headphone jack on the bottom serves no useful purpose and removes the capability of listening via headphones while docked.

Hopefully the rumor isn't true and all the worry is for nothing.

Thanks

Looks like it could be a micro USB port as well. I personally think it's too thin (port opening) to be a thunderbolt port. Just my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djjessejames's Avatar
    Tha Hills & Valley of the Sticky Icky Icky...ooo wee.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Oh great, now I can't use iOS6 on my iPad, now all my expensive docks and alarm clocks will not be compatible.
    Maybe complainers like you don't deserve an iPhone five. I'm sure you will find a way princess, suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Yeah I don't think the headphone jack for iPod touch was so people could determine iPod touch to iPhones. Anyways there's been word yes it will be on bottom of the phone. Apples dock has/will have a headphone jack on the dock so your not moving far. Also the headphone jack for iPhone 5. Just think if you had headphones in your pocket the cord would be upside down in your pocket. For people who put phones in their pocket right side up they gotta maneuver the phone around when they take it out. Instead this time the cord isn't bending and you can grab your phone as you please
    Agreed. Hundred 10%!
    As a DJ it makes sense finally for them to do this to the iPhone.
    For an observation simply place your phone in your pocket and examine the port placement at the bottom.
    Maybe not for everyone or will take a bit of getting used to fanboys out there, but for someone who spends half of what a new iPhone 4S cost on headphones (Dr. Dre Detox Lim. Edt. DJ BEATS) not only you but your cord and physical jack assembly will appreciate this new feature (less stress on internal components) if it is, in fact true. Time will tell, right?
    Last edited by djjessejames; 06-21-2012 at 01:53 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

Happy that apple will not make a smaller pin dock connector so I can used one cable in all apple idevice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Neat, I'm in favor of this idea. The big connector of my iPod Touch USB cable always used to get snagged everywhere. Hopefully they'll make some improvements to the shielding of the cable, the white skin of it always comes off after a while leaving the internal wiring bare.
    I might consider getting an iPhone 5 to replace my HTC Desire.

Thanks

Assume there will be some sort of adapter like with the new magsafe 2. Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of pissed off consumers.

Thanks

it will be a micro USB, to coincide with the EU law that all phone after 2012 must have one.

Its A LAW! so they cant have something else, unless there going to have two different phone one for American & another for every where else.
    Last edited by rocky5; 06-21-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Hmmm, not sure I'm a fan of that. Guess we couldn't dock it and use headphones at the same time anymore
    You would need a dock with a headphone jack built in. I have one for my 4. Im sure they will make one for the next gen iPhone as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    Same here because I have many devices that use the 30 pin dock. This will really hold me back from getting the new iPhone
    This is hilarious. Thats as thoughtless as saying you are not getting the iPhone 5 because you do not like the number 5 :/

Thanks

i guess the next iphone might end up being just a taller iphone with better camera but same iphone 4/4s design total BS. Why dont they apply the ipad 2/ new ipad design on to the next iphone with the nice curves and style with aluminum back now that would be called a redesign and no need to change dock connector then. I prefer to have the best of both worlds a redesign and better insides not just better insides. Apple redesigns the iphone every 2 years pretty much with the exception of the original iphone to iphone 3g. I guess if the next iphone is just a taller iphone 4/4s then i have to wait 3 years to get a redesign i guess or 4 years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Is that a headphone jack next to the plug??? WTH?
    They could leave the headphone jack out and I wouldn't care. It never gets used now that there's BT headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    i would personallynot like it to be smaller. i would rather they use that extra room in the 30pin to make it charge faster
    Charging faster isn't necessarily a good thing if you want your battery to last 2 years until its time to upgrade to the iPhone 6. Assuming the next one is called iPhone 5, and then theres an iPhone 5s a year later, and so on

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry27 View Post
    I usually put my phone upside-down into my pocket so when i pull it out, it will be upright. Or vice versa, esp. when my other hand is not free.) There goes your apple infamous earpiece cable.
    Tim cook will probably tell everyone that they're just putting it in their pocket wrong!
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 06-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just make the damn thing fatter so you can put a decent battery in it! That's all I care about. It's too thin as it is.