+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Wows with Windows Phone 8 Unveiling

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default Microsoft Wows with Windows Phone 8 Unveiling

As MMi reported early Wednesday, Microsoft was expected to unveil its new Windows Phone 8 today at the company's Windows Phone Developer Summit. The speculation proved correct just moments ago as the software giant raised the curtain on a dazzling new smartphone that will all but certainly turn heads (even among some iPhone owners).

Launching this fall in conjunction with Microsoft's Windows Surface tablet, Windows Phone 8 is a striking handset with an HD screen that will support multi-core CPUs and deliver mobile payments capabilities through Near Field Communications (NFC) technology.

Support for three new screen resolutions include: WVGA (800x480 pixels), WXVGA (1280x768), and "True 720p" (1280x720). Not surprisingly, the Windows Phone 8 will will draw heavily from its code foundation in Windows 8, a platform that will let developers create new mobile applications capable of running on Microsoft phones, tablets, and computers.

Handsets that use the new Windows Phone 8 operating system will come with built-in mapping technology from Nokia, Microsoft's key partner in the smartphone market, the company said.
    Additionally, Windows Phones will get support for a MicroSD expansion slot - a development that could give the OS a subsequent 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB memory boost. MicroSD cards also makes it pretty seamless to transfer data from the smartphone straight to a PC.

Microsoft, with a nod to an iPhone feature called Siri—also showed off speech recognition software that developers can harness to let users launch and control apps with their voice, "something Siri just now is learning to do," said Kevin Gallo, the head of developer platform for Windows Phone.
    Catering to many of the requests made from avid users, the platform will support in-app purchases, desktop-level security, and development in C, C++. Microsoft even confirmed today that it will, as rumored, integrate VoIP calling apps like Skype so that calls placed and received through these apps and related services will appear just as natural as native phone calls.

"We will have the best device lineup we've ever had before," said Terry Myerson, the head of the Windows Phone group. This fall, however, we'll find out if smartphone buyers agree with that assessment.

Source: WSJ

UiK
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Go Microsoft!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Coming from someone who uses the OS7 Dreamboard Theme on my device, I can say I have no interest in this phone. The phone itself still does not look appealing to the eye.. might as well be a 3Gs. The iPhone 4 Design by itself screamed I'm sexy without even pressing the home button to debut the OS. Not to mention it's absolutely ludicrous to create (3) different models based off resolution.. Microsoft is still 5 steps behind.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm a Mac fan and won't buy this latest M$ product. I will though, admit that I like it a lot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks amazing! Really impressed by it! & I'm loving the new start up screen! I'd trade my 4s for that any day!!! Hehehe

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

Cant wait

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Coming from someone who uses the OS7 Dreamboard Theme on my device, I can say I have no interest in this phone. The phone itself still does not look appealing to the eye.. might as well be a 3Gs. The iPhone 4 Design by itself screamed I'm sexy without even pressing the home button to debut the OS. Not to mention it's absolutely ludicrous to create (3) different models based off resolution.. Microsoft is still 5 steps behind.
    Ok that "sexy" design of the iPhone most people cover it with a case and they have three models of resolution & apple has three models of internal memory

Thanks

Theres still one major hurdle though.
    One thing that they can never fix.
    ( It still runs windows ).

Thanks

Umm, yeah, And if you already bought a Windows phone, you're screwed... (Oh yes, you do get the new
    start screen. Woooopieeee. NOT)

And this thing'll be locked down tighter than a clam's ***.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Microsoft has said MANY times that the phones the demo the OS on are not production models. They are not phones you will be able to buy and this as a software release only. We still need to wait and see what Nokia, HTC and Samsung have interns of hardware.

Thanks

Nokia better pull some gorgeous and duly capable hardware for this new platform out of its behind--and fast.

--

It still baffles me why MSFT is flipping the bird to its WP7 users, what with no direct upgrade path. Perhaps it was an unavoidable hurdle, but it will engender massive amounts of ill will with its users nevertheless. That, and having to start again with zero apps for the WP8 platform (which, although closer to, is still entirely separate from the Windows RT and desktop ecosystems) just seems like a boneheaded maneuver.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am actually excited for this release. The thing that had me take the Lumia 900 back was the relatively low screen resolution (compared to all competition). I like that more can fit in less space with the redone UI. WP8 is definitely something I want to have a look at!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
    Go Microsoft!!!
    Windows 8 phone huh?

I will say that I like what Microsoft is doing by unifying the UI between all their devices.

Fact: Windows 8 in all it's variants hasn't introduced anything "new". Metro is more of a "style", or maybe more bluntly, a theme. They've only introduced a new interface 'arrangement', by placing features in a way that really integrates, quite nicely, communication between social media & phone & txt. Which seems to be the biggest reason to get a windows phone; and i'll definitely be defaulting to the legacy look on Win8 after upgrading my desktop. (Personally, the longest my Facebook acct has been activated was two weeks, & that's only because I forgot to deactivate it a week earlier. I use twitter, maybe 3-4x's a quarter, only to complain to some dev about a bug or request an app feature or something like that. Not really to communicate regularly.) I know I'm in the minority but let's not act like Microsoft is reinventing the wheel or introducing another Kinect with this Metro B.S.

Microsofts UI unification really, really, makes Android look bad! LOL! I would love to see all capable Droid devices updated to the latest version, as it pushes Apple and now MS, by showcasing its latest fts in mass. Competition is so freakn great and I'm liking that MS is making a real effort. Not like, ahem, Google, by blatantly copying iOS.

MS phone: not for me.
    MS tablet: the touchscreen ultra book with a removable keyboard? No thx. Already got a laptop :-P

With all that said, keep it up Microsoft! Ha! I just wish they'd spend some of those billions less on interface change/arrangement/style/theming, and put it towards human interface improvement. Like they did with Kinect & gaming systems. Either MS or Google should buy Nuance and pump big dolla's into it and give us the future! Siri is only an appetizer that's headed in the right direction. I want more dangit!

Thanks

MS started afresh with WP8 - the hardware requirements make supporting WP7 phones impracticable . But then I thought they did that with WP7.

So far there has not been a WP7 phone that grabs the attention - they need a top end phone to show it off.

A third player in the smartphone market has to be good - WP7 didn't cut it, let's hope WP8 will. It could be Nokia's last chance. MS also need to get it right but they have more money to throw at it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuncoastDave View Post
    Umm, yeah, And if you already bought a Windows phone, you're screwed... (Oh yes, you do get the new
    start screen. Woooopieeee. NOT)

And this thing'll be locked down tighter than a clam's ***.
    I guess Apple screwed me since I already bought an iPhone 4 and don't get Siri, turn by turn navigation, no 4G (oh wait! the iPhone still doesn't have 4G), etc.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MaStA819 For This Useful Post:

brodimus (06-20-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 727 Posts

I think I might just pick up a Lumia 900 when wp8 comes out. It really sucks that they let down a lot of wp7 users though. That I don't like.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

brodimus (06-20-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I think I might just pick up a Lumia 900 when wp8 comes out. It really sucks that they let down a lot of wp7 users though. That I don't like.
    That will increase the sales of the Lumia 900 by 33%...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    That will increase the sales of the Lumia 900 by 33%...
    Lol

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

The lumia actually sold really well.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

I find myself strangely hoping for at least modest Microsoft success with their tablet, phone, and Win8. I've detested their software and arrogance for decades but the wireless keyboard and mouse I have from MS are top shelf and Win7 is pretty good--finally. OK, that's not saying much, but add in disappointment with my iPad 3 and I'm ready for some real competition to Apple. I really like my iPhone4 so would be unlikely to depart from that, but the iPad can easily be dethroned IMO.