+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Go Topsy Turvy With 'LabelAbove'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Go Topsy Turvy With 'LabelAbove'

Some people just like pushing the bounds of Apple’s limits, no matter how they do it. A new free jailbreak tweak called LabelAbove by iOS developer q0rtex will let you have your application icon labels up above your application icons, rather than the other way around as Apple has always had it set.

LabelAbove actually does two things. Not only does it move the application icon labels up above the application icons, but it also gives the application icons a small push downward so that they line up correctly on the grid of the home screen. This is a nice little feature that previous jailbreak tweaks trying to accomplish this feature have missed. It helps to make the home screen look less silly with the application icon labels up on the top.

The jailbreak tweak offers no options to configure and its effects will be noticeable as soon as you download and install the tweak from Cydia. You can disable its effects by uninstalling the tweak from Cydia, but there is no way to toggle the tweak on and off without doing so.

LabelAbove is a cosmetic change, so it doesn’t offer anything helpful in functionality. If you prefer this style of the home screen more than the way Apple has it set, then you could take this tweak for a test run since it is free and there is nothing to lose.

Name: LabelAbove
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: q0rtex
    Editor's Rating:  2/5

Sources: q0rtex

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've used this tweak and I actually like it. It makes finding apps a bit easier

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but it would mess me up for a while.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by control635 View Post
    I've used this tweak and I actually like it. It makes finding apps a bit easier
    How exactly?? Is it hard for you to see/read text BELOW a icon, as opposed to text ABOVE a icon?? That somehow makes it easier for u to "find" apps?? Strange, perhaps you are the one of the few people that should be using spotlight.

If anything, it would just be an annoyance. Our brains are programmed to automatically look below the icons, because that's where we have been looking ever since the beggining of iPhone time.
    You might not even be aware that your eyes will always automatically look below the icon for the name.

Sure you could install this tweak, and eventually condition your brain to look above rather than below......but why??
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    How exactly?? Is it hard for you to see/read text BELOW a icon, as opposed to text ABOVE a icon?? That somehow makes it easier for u to "find" apps?? Strange, perhaps you are the one of the few people that should be using spotlight.

If anything, it would just be an annoyance. Our brains are programmed to automatically look below the icons, because that's where we have been looking ever since the beggining of iPhone time.
    You might not even be aware that your eyes will always automatically look below the icon for the name.

Sure you could install this tweak, and eventually condition your brain to look above rather than below......but why??
    It's just something different, no need to rage. :P

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dtpl For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (06-18-2012)

Thanks

That's how I would imagine an iPhone in europe to look like(no offense to europeans).
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone realtimedeath's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think that was too much of a rage reply. just a logical response, maybe a bit cynical. funny though 😁

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realtimedeath View Post
    I don't think that was too much of a rage reply. just a logical response, maybe a bit cynical. funny though 😁
    Thank you! Exactly...well put! A rage reply would have had a lot more (or at least some)....rage.

This seems to be a trend....I have been noticing that many people have been VERY over sensitive on these forums lately. Can't really say anything anymore without someone telling someone else to shut up, calm down, leave, etc.
    El Zurdo

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

agreed. different strokes for different folks. i prefer no icon labels for ios5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How can I get it?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bingchenwww View Post
    How can I get it?
    Download it from Cydia.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

personally, my brain is programmed not to see any labels. when i use aptbackup after a restore, i expect to see only icons. still, i find it ironic that such a lightweight tweak can generate this much discussion. lol
    Last edited by hank197857; 06-19-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: clarify

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be nice if you had the option to just effect the dock, or the pages...

Thanks

I'll add that in the next version ^