Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sparrow 1.3 Out With Support for POP Accounts

Default Sparrow 1.3 Out With Support for POP Accounts

Sparrow is a really popular e-mail client for iOS. Unfortunately, Sparrow has never supported POP e-mail providers and it was an IMAP-only application. This means no Hotmail users (and other POP e-mail provider users included) could enjoy the application for what it was a work of art with a nice user interface. Today, the application sees an update to version 1.3, which adds support for POP e-mail providers.

Being bottlenecked to IMAP, Gmail users could be perfectly happy with the application how it was before the update. Even those of us at ModMyi could use Sparrow with our own ModMyi e-mail addresses.

The added support for POP in the popular e-mail client should help to make the e-mail application even more POPular. (Hah, any laughs for that one?) Additionally, it shows the development team working hard on their e-mail client to bring users what they want the most out of the e-mail client.

Sparrow unfortunately still does not have push notifications, however if you are jailbroken, you can use Cydia jailbreak tweaks to gain at least partial support for push notifications. Sparrow has announced to us in the past that since Apple refuses to help them with push notifications (probably because Apple knows the client could offer great competition with their own native Mail application), that they will have to offer push notifications as a paid yearly subscription on top of Sparrow's already existing $2.99 price tag.

If you already own Sparrow, you can download the update for free. New users will have to pay $2.99 to download the application from the App Store from this link.

Sources: Cult of Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Love sparrow. But I'd be more excited by iPad support...or even an iPad app (standalone) which I'd easily pay another $2.99 for. Hell, I'd pay $4.99. Sparrow is just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    Love sparrow. But I'd be more excited by iPad support...or even an iPad app (standalone) which I'd easily pay another $2.99 for. Hell, I'd pay $4.99. Sparrow is just that good.
    How fortunate then...

Sparrow - We are preparing something bigger

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Whenever they git the push notifactions working I'll git it again. The Cydia tweak doesnt work that good on mine.

Completely worthless without push...and no way in hell am I paying monthly for something I get out of the box from iOS...smh

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I swear, Apple is so damn stubborn. Why doesn't Apple just do away with their stock app, buy Sparrow and implement it into iOS? Why can't they realize there are better solutions out there to their own products? For Christs sake, this is an Apple app; not Microsoft. Allowing push would crush their own stock app, yes, but that's because Apple knows it sucks.
    Last edited by evolution83; 06-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

Updated. Wish we could rename each of our accounts rather using our email address to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by duceduc View Post
    Updated. Wish we could rename each of our accounts rather using our email address to identify.
    I agree.

Thanks

Unfortunately still no exchange function, so I will not buy it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

its on sale for .99c on Tuesday and Wednesday... price going up to 1.99 on Thursday and back to 2.99 there after... just wanted to let everyone know.

Still.... I just don't know why people are trying so hard to get away from native mail app??? It serves its purpose great and its free!

Also... WTF is so special about this app that it's been denied push??? There are plenty other mail clients on App store with push, whats stooping apple with this one
    Last edited by hadzo; 06-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Would be happy for it if push worked