Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: National Emergency Alerts Will Hit iOS 6 Devices

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default National Emergency Alerts Will Hit iOS 6 Devices

Devices running iOS 6 will receive national emergency alerts from the U.S. government. Regardless of the nature of the national emergency - natural disaster, terror alert, etc. - Wireless Emergency Alerts will now be able to reach iPhones, iPods, and iPads running iOS 6, which was formally unveiled last week and will be launched this fall.

The discovery of the new alert capability came from Emergency Management. As chronicled on their blog, "Government Alerts" is the iOS 6 interface for what's known as Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or Commercial Mobile Alerting System (CMAS).

So, the stage has been set for a consistently growing number of people in the US to have capability to receive alerts from local, state, and federal officials through the initiative led by FEMA's Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) program.
    In addition to the next-generation iDevices that will run iOS 6, the current roster of iOS 6-compatible devices (which will also receive the emergency alerts) includes the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4G, iPad 2, and the third generation iPad.

Source: Emergency Management

Good to know..

this is just what apple needs when they take over the world.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, so how to i turn it off and/or block it?

thank u for pointing that out i will not be updating to iOS 6 unless when they jailbreak it they figure out how to block that invasion of privacy i don't want my device at any point in time for when they deem it an emergency to shut off from whatever i am doing and seeing just for a public service announcement etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
    thank u for pointing that out i will not be updating to iOS 6 unless when they jailbreak it they figure out how to block that invasion of privacy i don't want my device at any point in time for when they deem it an emergency to shut off from whatever i am doing and seeing just for a public service announcement etc..
    Got paranoia?

How many emergency alerts do you normally get from tv or radio? At least for me. Very very rarely and if it's a terrorist attack or something on that emergency? Then yeah who cares. I'm sure it will be a banner notification. It's not as if it should lock up your phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ugh, okay, they are not going to pull you out of an app and start playing the TV emergency alert system thing or start playing the radio alert sounds. I'm sure it will just be a simple push notification that will pop up on your lockscreen and stay in the NC just like every other notification.

And If a safety alerts system is the only thing keeping you from upgrading, you have issues.

Uh oh. The cable company tests this crap all the time, and while they're testing you can't skip it or ignore it - we're forced to sit through the test. If this is anything like that it's going to make a lot of people angry. If its just a mass text message that can be blocked then cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Uh oh. The cable company tests this crap all the time, and while they're testing you can't skip it or ignore it - we're forced to sit through the test. If this is anything like that it's going to make a lot of people angry. If its just a mass text message that can be blocked then cool
    That's because it is broadcast on all channels at the same time. Not much cable does more than watch tv. I would suspect it would be like others are saying, a notification banner and a special sound maybe. Doubt they would kick you out of things to get message to you. Then big problems would come up because what if someone was on a very important phone call when that happened.

Plus the testing that has been going on more frequently is because I beleive they are testing a whole new system. I have only seen the new system once and I am a night owl; which is when they do most of thier testing.

Over dramatic much? If anything this is a good thing, you know, like those emergency alerts on the TV during ACTUAL emergencies. Maybe you've never lived through one, but many others have and understand the worth of it.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    Over dramatic much? If anything this is a good thing, you know, like those emergency alerts on the TV during ACTUAL emergencies. Maybe you've never lived through one, but many others have and understand the worth of it.
    AGREED!!! i live on a fault line and weve been pending an earthquakefor a long time i definitely want a notification! i want to be able to contact my fam etc. its a good thing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    AGREED!!! i live on a fault line and weve been pending an earthquakefor a long time i definitely want a notification! i want to be able to contact my fam etc. its a good thing.
    Ummmm...Maybe I am missing something here....but I'm PRETTYYYY sure there is no advanced warning for a earthquake... Nothing, maybe like 5 seconds...tops.
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks

While I do like this quite a bit and believe it's a smart addition, I believe it's nearly pointless where I live. Northeast Texas is bad about sending out these emergency broadcasts after or during the emergency. They're usually horribly late when it comes to broadcasting the warning. Either way, still a great idea.

I'm pretty sure they have machines on land fault lines that report seismic activity giving the surrounding area sufficient time to react to a catastrophic earthquake.

What's Jailbreak?
    San Pedro de MacorĂ*s, Dominican Republic, Dominican Republic
    Thanks

Default Any Al Qaeda members here?
    What kind of citizens are this folks?
    Al Qaeda members doesn't need alert, I need it!!
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Ummmm...Maybe I am missing something here....but I'm PRETTYYYY sure there is no advanced warning for a earthquake... Nothing, maybe like 5 seconds...tops.

In here, Japan, my iOS 5 iPhone has earthquake alert option in notification setting. But, I already installed yurekuru call, which has the same function and is free. So, I don't use iPhone warning notification. I usually get alerts, about the time and the scale, 5-20 seconds before the earthquake. It's not long, but it's enough to make a quick decision; No time for calling my family, though.

Quote Originally Posted by weeslo View Post
    Ugh, okay, they are not going to pull you out of an app and start playing the TV emergency alert system thing or start playing the radio alert sounds. I'm sure it will just be a simple push notification that will pop up on your lockscreen and stay in the NC just like every other notification.

And If a safety alerts system is the only thing keeping you from upgrading, you have issues.
    He already has his foil hat on and is currently putting foil on the windows!! Lol

Pay attention people... It has on off switches for both amber alerts and emergency alerts... It's just another notification center add-on that nobody is forcing you to use...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Rather than ******** or praising this thing, shouldn't we wait and see how it is actually implemented? People seem to have all but decided whether this is wonderful or terrible without a damn bit of information other than "EBS alerts are coming".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast