Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Russian Developer Gets 3D Maps Working on iPhone 4

Default Russian Developer Gets 3D Maps Working on iPhone 4

As usual Appleís claim that a certain feature will only work with new device (x) but not old device (y) turns out to be a bunch of proprietary hogwash. A Russian developer found a way to get 3D maps running on an iPhone 4, a feature Apple claimed would only work on the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad.

The work around by Anton Titkov dubbed 3Denabler allows iOS 6 beta users with the iPhone 4 to run 3D maps, but still lacks turn-by-turn functionality. The workaround isnít through Cydia because, well, an iOS 6 jailbreak doesnít really exist at this point. Getting 3Denabler running isnít as straightforward as a tradition jailbreak, and the instructions (found here) are in Russian. So proceed with caution, especially if you donít know Russian and rely on Chromeís translate feature....

Still the functionality of Tiktovís Maps work around appears quite good considering the beta-nature of iOS 67 at this point. However, those excited at the prospect of a maps workaround upon iOS 6ís release should temper expectations as Apple will likely block workaround in future beta releases.

Source: Slashgear

It's not that it doesn't work it's that it probably doesn't meet the benchmarks eating up so much memory plus if they make every device backward compatible there's no reason. Didn't you notice every time they come out with something new it's "the best "x" we've ever made ?

Is there a cydia tweak that will allow me to watch the YouTube links that are posted on this site from my phone

Exactly. They want everyone to go with the flow. If it worked on the iPad1. Would people ever buy an iPad 2 or 3? No cause there happy but if you make certain things for certain devices. They want everyone to upgrade with technology.

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    Didn't you notice every time they come out with something new it's "the best "x" we've ever made ?
    Yea, that's just common sense. Who's going to come out and say, "Hey guys, we made our worst product ever! Be proud of us!". Even if it's best by .001%, it's still technically "The Best".
    Same thing with age. If someone shows you a picture of yourself, it's always going to be a picture of yourself when you were younger. You can't take a picture of someone when they're older and show it to them.

interesting ... as if we don't have choices ...

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    interesting ... as if we don't have choices ...
    Alas,
    once upon a time, Apple granted us many choices.

It was then: Steve or Steve.
    And then, for a time they granted us the choice between a single Steve.

And now there is no choice, no Steve, and only a Cook.
    We are bereft.

Can even Google save us?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    Is there a cydia tweak that will allow me to watch the YouTube links that are posted on this site from my phone
    Not that I know of.

What I do is:
    -Click on the article (not the video link)
    -Choose More
    -Choose Open in Safari
    -Now you can click on the Video link and it 'should' play

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Yea, that's just common sense. Who's going to come out and say, "Hey guys, we made our worst product ever! Be proud of us!". Even if it's best by .001%, it's still technically "The Best".
    Same thing with age. If someone shows you a picture of yourself, it's always going to be a picture of yourself when you were younger. You can't take a picture of someone when they're older and show it to them.
    RIP.... Mitch hedburg

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

As usual Apple’s claim that a certain feature will only work with new device (x) but not old device (y) turns out to be a bunch of proprietary hogwash. A Russian developer found a way to get 3D maps running on an iPhone 4, a feature Apple claimed would only work on the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad.

The work around by Anton Titkov dubbed 3Denabler allows iOS 6 beta users with the iPhone 4 to run 3D maps, but still lacks turn-by-turn functionality. The workaround isn’t through Cydia because, well, an iOS 6 jailbreak doesn’t really exist at this point. Getting 3Denabler running isn’t as straightforward as a tradition jailbreak, and the instructions (found here) are in Russian. So proceed with caution, especially if you don’t know Russian and rely on Chrome’s translate feature....

Still the functionality of Tiktov’s Maps work around appears quite good considering the beta-nature of iOS 67 at this point. However, those excited at the prospect of a maps workaround upon iOS 6’s release should temper expectations as Apple will likely block workaround in future beta releases.

Source: Slashgear
    The "instructions" on iguides.ru only describe how to install a .deb package on a jailbroken iOS6 device without Cydia. You'll need MobileSubstrate and (probably) SSH as well.

If you already know how to do that, grab this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10867582/com...honeos-arm.deb

Nothing much on there explaining what it does or how it works,
    but it's a MobibleSubstrate extension unfortunately not just a plist edit :/

iT0ny found a similar toggle for Turn-by-Turn navigation, that he says "should work" on iP4,
    but doesn't seem to do anything.
    Last edited by raduga; 06-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.

I tired this out, oh boy is it ever laggy. I accept apples decision to leave it out lol. Had to remove the tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    The "instructions" on iguides.ru only describe how to install a .deb package on a jailbroken iOS6 device without Cydia. You'll need MobileSubstrate and (probably) SSH as well.

If you already know how to do that, grab this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10867582/com...honeos-arm.deb

Nothing much on there explaining what it does or how it works,
    but it's a MobibleSubstrate extension unfortunately not just a plist edit :/

The instructions very cleary tell you how to use apt-get update and install mobilesubtrate via SSH...nobody needs your sketchy links

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcbaron15 For This Useful Post:

raduga (06-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,229 Posts

The iOS 6 jailbreak now includes afc2add. Getting the MobileSubstrate .deb isn't hard to find. So, just manually install both .debs at the same time

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

raduga (06-15-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by mcbaron15 View Post
    I tired this out, oh boy is it ever laggy. I accept apples decision to leave it out lol. Had to remove the tweak.

The instructions very cleary tell you how to use apt-get update and install mobilesubtrate via SSH...nobody needs your sketchy links
    "my sketchy link" was the one quoted on their site.

Учитывая тот факт, что Cydia пока не работает на iOS 6 и не устанавливается после джейлбрейка iOS 6 для разработчиков, мы приготовили две инструкции по установке твика без использования Cydia. Первым делом вам нужно скачать Deb файл ( ссылка ):
    But yeah, they now that they have a repo set up, it's probably the better way
    (instead of taking "Первым делом вам нужно" literally).
    Last edited by raduga; 06-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'd rather have the turn-by-turn tweaked on rather than the 3D flyover stuff.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Apple software is starting to become a joke. What's next? Limiting software for MacBooks? Many things have possible because of the jailbreak community. FaceTime over 3G has been out for years. Apple just releasing it to ios6 and only 4S? No turn by turn for maps on iPhone 4? There's turn by turn for third party apps that run perfect but apple rather keep it from the users. Siri even works perfect on the iPhone 4. If it wasnt for the jailbreak community I would have left my iPhone a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    Apple software is starting to become a joke. What's next? Limiting software for MacBooks? Many things have possible because of the jailbreak community. FaceTime over 3G has been out for years. Apple just releasing it to ios6 and only 4S? No turn by turn for maps on iPhone 4? There's turn by turn for third party apps that run perfect but apple rather keep it from the users. Siri even works perfect on the iPhone 4. If it wasnt for the jailbreak community I would have left my iPhone a long time ago
    The reason is because a lot of that stuff is laggy to use. So it's not limiting to be mean. If the maps run great only on the 4s then only the 4s should have it I think.

In a sense I wouldn't scratch the whole maps idea just because my old devices can't use them but my good ones can

The first ports of Siri where not great but as more people found ways to make it work now you see it work just like the iPhone 4s!

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

The way I've always looked at it is that it doesn't matter what a phone does stock, its what it does with a little bit of know-how. That being said, iPhone wins hands down.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Got this to work on my iPod Touch 4th Gen!