+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My Xbox Live App Updated with Wi-Fi Console Controller Option

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default My Xbox Live App Updated with Wi-Fi Console Controller Option

Microsoft recently updated its iOS My Xbox Live application with a new feature that allows users to navigate their Xbox 360 over Wi-Fi with their iPhone. Version 1.5 of the free application is a 22.58 MB download that requires iOS 4.3 or later and is now available on the App Store.

According to the official description, you can “use your iPhone with Xbox to connect, control and discover content on your console. Connect your iPhone for access to a quick list of our most recent console activity. Control your content with play, pause, fast forward, and rewind media controls. Find fresh entertainment to play in the new Discover section.” Other additions to the My Xbox Live app include improved authentication for increased stability and high high-resolution images for the new iPad. It should be noted that remote control functionality is not yet available on the iPad but is said to be available in the near future.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 gaming console also serves as a media center with PC connectivity and also provides the ability to rent movies and TV shows along with music and applications. That being said, it seems to be competing with Apple’s own Apple TV set-top box and adding features such as iOS control compatibility will continue to keep owners of both devices more content. It’ll also reduce the need for those who have an Xbox 360 to want a device such as an Apple TV.

In the recent Microsoft media presentation at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the company showed the ability for remotely connected tablets showing and displaying content such as facts real-time alongside a show or movie being watched. Another demonstration showcased a new version of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer for Xbox 360 being controlled by a smartphone, a function very similar to that found with the iPhone and the Apple TV. SmartGlass was also an added new functionality to games like “Madden NFL” from EA Sports. This feature allows users to stream content from their iPhone or iPad to their Xbox 360, similar to Apple’s AirPlay feature. Last but not least, in another demonstration, an iPad-like tablet was being used to select plays and even draw up new ones for use in the game on the Xbox 360 console.

Features such as this will only help the consumer as Apple will most likely try to one-up the competition in the future.

Source: iTunes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if you can start playing games with it there will be a lot easier hacking...

iPhone? More like MyPhone lbroskee's Avatar
    Thanks

My iphone can connect to the xbox using data too, so u dont need wifi, it just helps speed it up

Thanks

Xbox = useless
    A paid subscription that requires an update to be applied before u can even log on, practically every day it seems. makes it so annoying that I don't even use my Xbox anymore

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhase4G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
    My iphone can connect to the xbox using data too, so u dont need wifi, it just helps speed it up
    Yeah it still does pretty well even with just using 3g. I was messing with my roommate while i was at work haha was really fun