+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FaceTime Over Cellular to Be Limited to the New iPad and iPhone 4S

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Unfortunately, another feature of iOS 6 that has been widely looked forward to will be limited to only Apple's newer devices. FaceTime over cellular networks seems to only be coming
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default FaceTime Over Cellular to Be Limited to the New iPad and iPhone 4S?

Unfortunately, another feature of iOS 6 that has been widely looked forward to will be limited to only Apple's newer devices. FaceTime over cellular networks seems to only be coming to the new iPad and the iPhone 4S. In what seems like a desperate attempt by Apple to keep people upgrading to newer devices every year, FaceTime over cellular networks will join Siri and Maps' new turn-by-turn directions as an iPhone 4S and new iPad-only feature regardless of older devices such as the iPhone 4 being capable of the features.

The iPad 2 joins the party with the iPhone 4 in FaceTime-capable devices that won't be getting the 'over cellular' feature in iOS 6 even though it has an A5 processor. The iPod touch 4G never had cellular service from the beginning, so it is not much of a surprise that this device isn't getting the feature.

Although the news is a letdown for people owning older iOS devices, anyone with the newer iOS devices like the new iPad and the iPhone 4S should be happy knowing that they will have the feature. Older devices will have to wait for a jailbreak-based solution to get FaceTime over cellular networks. As an alternative, an older device could tether (or share a cellular connection) with any other tethering-enabled iOS device to use FaceTime from anywhere without a jailbreak.

Most older iOS device users will be able to make do with third-party FaceTime alternatives such as Skype and Tango as they are widely used by iOS users. Additionally, users can still use Wi-Fi as usual.

Sources: AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another reason for the iOS 5 iPhone 4 users to not update to iOS 6. Viva La FaceBreak!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hey, that's apple: lets artificially limit what the older devices can do. Why? Because we can.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 101JBX View Post
    Another reason for the iOS 5 iPhone 4 users to not update to iOS 6. Viva La FaceBreak!
    I don't know I kinda like the idea of them making this a default feature.... I wish they would integrate something like Zephr into the iphone.

Thanks
    Is it really that hard to understand why it's simply BAD business to allow older devices to have the same capabilities as new ones? If older iPhones can do everything the 4s can, there's little to no reason to upgrade! The new release devices must have at least some exclusive features.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

FaceTime doesn't really affect me but the concept of limiting older devices seriously pisses me off.

I totally understand limiting these functions for the 2G and 3G iPhones, and heck even the 3GS is getting old now but why the 4? As far as I'm concerned the iP4 is still pretty new so why is it being limited from FaceTime over cell data and also Siri? Apple really needs to get this iP4 business straight and stop trying to eliminate users from using it and forcing us to upgrade. I was going to upgrade this year for the new iPhone anyway, that works out for me, but it's still bad practice.

Thanks

Keep in mind that iOS 6 will likely become public about the same time as the new iPhone, so it isn't like Apple is making you buy the very latest phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is bad business in so many ways. iPhone 4 is what brought FaceTime it should get the ability to do it anywhere. iPad 2 is exactly the same as 4s y can't it have Siri? I understand wanting people to upgrade but what about those that can't pay the $500 bill and wait for the new stuff to come out so the others go down? If your going to make something you should support it to its fullest .and since the iPhone 4 came out with FaceTime the 4s brought Siri what's the 5 got?

Thanks

Just use 3GUnrestrictor or My3G....
    ....like we always have in the past!!!

This news isn't a game-changer.

(Assuming an iOS6 untether JB ever comes out)

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

What a joke.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Hey, that's apple: lets artificially limit what the older devices can do. Why? Because we can.
    Stupid move by Apple.
    They dont like jailbreaking so why make it a necessity? They can easily make facetime over 3G for all iDevices but as they limit it then there is now a reason to jailbreak. Stupid Apple AGAIN.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't get why apple does this. Most people that get an iphobe is stuck in a 2 year contract so why not give them all the new features I mean. By the time my contract ends the iphobe 5 should be out so I'll go and get that as my new upgrade. Don't see the point off the iPhone 4 being limited. I can understand why apple won't give it Siri and thats fair to me. But won't the iphobe 5 have better spec and probably a new feature that the iPhone 4s don't/can't have. Gets on my nerves really. I want the new features but I'm not about to pay my contract of early just do that. Even if apple does give the iphobe 4 and Ipad 2 the new features (except Siri) the iphobe 4s / Ipad 3 are better anyway. And I'm sure most people know/understand that anyway. I mean if apple wants me to upgrade then make the networks do a 12 month plan and I would upgrade to the new iPhone every year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan2022000 View Post
    I don't get why apple does this. Most people that get an iphobe is stuck in a 2 year contract so why not give them all the new features I mean. By the time my contract ends the iphobe 5 should be out so I'll go and get that as my new upgrade. Don't see the point off the iPhone 4 being limited. I can understand why apple won't give it Siri and thats fair to me. But won't the iphobe 5 have better spec and probably a new feature that the iPhone 4s don't/can't have. Gets on my nerves really. I want the new features but I'm not about to pay my contract of early just do that. Even if apple does give the iphobe 4 and Ipad 2 the new features (except Siri) the iphobe 4s / Ipad 3 are better anyway. And I'm sure most people know/understand that anyway. I mean if apple wants me to upgrade then make the networks do a 12 month plan and I would upgrade to the new iPhone every year.
    Out of curiosity, have u ever tried to upgrade early? I ask cuz I am able to upgrade annually even though I sign a two-year contract. I've gotten the new iPhone every year!

Wondering if anybody else gets to do the same thing I do...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy2069 View Post
    .......... iPhone 4 came out with FaceTime the 4s brought Siri what's the 5 got?
    Quick reply lol will be something retarded, I'm angry that my new iPad 2 bought January is being left behind already, I thought apple supported its hardware.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I mean let's be real... Anyone who has an iPhone 4(myself included) is gonna get the new iPhone this fall... I think the only ones getting the shaft are the 3G iPad 2 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    Quick reply lol will be something retarded, I'm angry that my new iPad 2 bought January is being left behind already, I thought apple supported its hardware.
    I feel the same way... I bought mines in January as well, and now this?!?
    Last edited by Breezy215; 06-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia will take care of that..lol
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

The Facetime was announced on the iPhone4 then why no Facetime over cellular on the Iphone4..AS Stevejobs said Facetime over wifi for 2010.. cellular data soon for iphone 4 ..Not happy.. Still Jailbreaking
    Last edited by emmanravalo; 06-13-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Mistake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    I mean let's be real... Anyone who has an iPhone 4(myself included) is gonna get the new iPhone this fall... I think the only ones getting the shaft are the 3G iPad 2 owners.

I feel the same way... I bought mines in January as well, and now this?!?

Yea, the real Peter move is to 3G iPad 2 owners but like "battered spouses" under the influence of Stockholm syndrome they will go back to Apple for more punishment! Quite sad really...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple sucks with there limitations.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like to see them make something that would be harder to support with an older iphone... not something that can be easily fixed with a jailbreak.