+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TomTom and 'Others' Provide Mapping Data for iOS 6's New Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default TomTom and 'Others' Provide Mapping Data for iOS 6's New Maps App

Apple’s new iOS 6 mapping has been beautifully done. The maps are gorgeous, informative, and quick at loading. Apple also let us know at WWDC 2012 yesterday that they are no longer using Google Maps as a mapping service in their native iOS Maps application and that they are now using their very own solution. So who exactly are they using for mapping services now?

Taking a look in the Maps application in iOS 6, Apple credits TomTom and ‘others’ for providing mapping services for the new Maps application. TomTom is a well-known GPS mapping service that powers many vehicle GPS units and even has their own App Store application. It’s not specified who the ‘other’ providers are for Apple’s new Maps application.

Citing MacRumors, TomTom has included a press release that answers the question in full:
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTom
    "TomTom has signed a global agreement with Apple® for maps and related information. No further details of the agreement will be provided."
    The turn to TomTom for a mapping service was a very good move for Apple because TomTom is a reliable GPS service. The addition of turn-by-turn navigation in iOS 6 (limited to certain devices) will make a much better navigation system than Google Maps ever did because it’s safer to have directions spoken to you rather than trying to conclude where you are and where you must go on a phone screen while driving.

Sources: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So basically reworked TomTom with a few Apple flair thrown in.
    Guess Apple added a gag clause so TomTom can't comment on the deal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

This looks really nice, but I'm really gonna miss Google's StreetView. As a professional truck driver, I was using StreetView a lot to plan my approach to unfamiliar shippers and receivers. I can't remember off hand whether or not it's integrated in Google Maps' web app...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Thing is if tomtom didn't comply than they would get nothing. No ones going to buy heir app from ios6 onwards but at least being under apples wing they make some money

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Not really a gag clause. They announced the partnership even before the conference. Apple Maps app is powered by TomTom and yesterday, they were interviewed saying something along the lines of how happy they were to be working with apple, and they think they can really add some dynamics to their maps application. Not really a gag clause..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

yay so it will be reliable!

Thanks

haha! Been seeing this more and more with iOS..taking and existing feature on other phones or taking a hack from Cydia and tweaking it. I hope we don't know all of the updates for iOS 6 as of yet. Reason being im not impressed with any of them. Guess we will be blown away with the redesign? Guess i'll have to wait and see.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Google maps was never designed for turn by turn directions. Sure, it's a better navigation system but it is Apple's fault for using Google, not Google's.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    This looks really nice, but I'm really gonna miss Google's StreetView. As a professional truck driver, I was using StreetView a lot to plan my approach to unfamiliar shippers and receivers. I can't remember off hand whether or not it's integrated in Google Maps' web app...
    I suspect Google will release their own maps app. They recently announced new features as coming soon to android and iOS, I'm sure they knew they were being dropped from Apple's maps app at the time...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Probably better for TomTom. Instead of getting the money from the relative few who buy their app, now they'll get a cut from every single iOS 6 device.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    They are releasing sky view which will be like the streetview offered by google maybe better

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    haha! Been seeing this more and more with iOS..taking and existing feature on other phones or taking a hack from Cydia and tweaking it. I hope we don't know all of the updates for iOS 6 as of yet. Reason being im not impressed with any of them. Guess we will be blown away with the redesign? Guess i'll have to wait and see.
    Same here... I need Apple to hit us with something totally new & unique, not just something revamped.. Oh well, forward march to October!! Hut-2-3-4 Hut-2-3-4.....

Quote Originally Posted by izzy1990 View Post
    They are releasing sky view which will be like the streetview offered by google maybe better
    Don't get me wrong, sky view looks nice & all, but street view is the shiznit!!! It helped me so many times find what a place looks like, not just pinpoint an address... It was like being able to visit your destination ahead of time to know what to look for.
    Last edited by Breezy215; 06-12-2012 at 04:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never paid for any GPS app for directions and live traffic, let alone TomTom. Apple may have incorporated TomTom into the new Maps app, but I'm not sure if it will beat Waze.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Google will be releasing a maps app with street view for ios and android

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA....figures Apple couldn't even do their own Map app without outside help. Go figure. So innovative...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA....figures Apple couldn't even do their own Map app without outside help. Go figure. So innovative...
    Ok, your comment is the dumbest of the day.
    Apple isn't a mapping company. Yes they bought some and they probably helped with the new map app but Tom Tom has a huge amount of experience and data. Do you think McDonalds slaughters its own beef?
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks

At the moment this switch is a negative. The new Apple Maps lose all transit routing info, a big loss for many, and effectively gain nothing because there are a number of goog quality nav apps already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But will the new maps format be able to get downloaded locally (like Tom Tom, Navigon) so it only uses your GPS, or similar to google maps where it uses your GPS And rips right through your data plan?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

TomTom maps are the worst I have seen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now, if they just hadn't passed that law banning the use of cellular devices while driving.