Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Munster Thinks iOS 6 Will Help Apple Close The Android Gap

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Munster Thinks iOS 6 Will Help Apple Close The Android Gap

Although Apple and Google are likely going to remain bitter rivals in the smartphone space with their competing mobile platforms, the gap between Android and iOS may be closing.

Following Apple's official preview of iOS 6 yesterday at the WWDC 2012 kickoff, no shortage of heavyweight Wall Street analysts find themselves in rare agreement across the mobile landscape this morning. Based on rampant, industry-wide projections, iOS 6 will help Apple absorb some of Android's leading smartphone market share.

"We believe this focus on integrating important web partners continues to meaningfully differentiate iOS from Android," Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray says, adding that the global iPhone market share will climb at least ten percentage points in the next two to three years.

Munster says iOS 6 will help Apple's market share grow faster than Android's overall.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Amit Daryanani agrees. According to Daryanani, Apple may finally have Android's number, particularly in the wake of Apple's introduction of the new iOS Maps app, which could effectively deflate the momentum of Google's competing 3D mobile mapping service.

Sources: MarketWatch, Apple Insider

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't see this "new" iOS map, that basically look like any other map apps out there, effectively deflate momentum of google 3D mobile mapping service? It looks just like TomTom app with Apple look to it. Google map actually introduce new stuff to their mapping service that is actually helpful to users.

What's the release date or month?

oh ofc the only thing google has against apple was navigation haha

Thanks

What gap? How can there really be one since the phone you choose is a preference? If you like what Android offers..well you choose Android. If you like what iOS offers you choose Apple. The gap is created by YOU the media in order to have something to write about. Lets be honest here. People that buy Droid and only use it love it, until they try iOS..that's been my experience although its just and experience i know. I only know one person(i know many with both iOS/Droid) that went from Androit>iOS then back to Android. He is an engineer at my place of work. His reasoning was he is used to Android, not that it is a better phone. To each his/her own i suppose..happy hunting!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    What gap? How can there really be one since the phone you choose is a preference? If you like what Android offers..well you choose Android. If you like what iOS offers you choose Apple. The gap is created by YOU the media in order to have something to write about. Lets be honest here. People that buy Droid and only use it love it, until they try iOS..that's been my experience although its just and experience i know. I only know one person(i know many with both iOS/Droid) that went from Androit>iOS then back to Android. He is an engineer at my place of work. His reasoning was he is used to Android, not that it is a better phone. To each his/her own i suppose..happy hunting!
    Agreed! Personal preference does not make it a "gap". I prefer iOS over anything Android has out right now, that's a personal choice. It doesn't mean there's a gap though. Just one more article trying to compare the two....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    oh ofc the only thing google has against apple was navigation haha
    And live wallpaper, widgets on the screen (some live also), google voice integration, a fantastic notification system, turn by turn on any device that supports Google maps ( turn by turn limited to iPad 2 and newer, iPhone 4s and newer on IOS 6) .... Shall I go on?

I've used both, and have an iPhone 4 here at the house that I gladly replaced with a RAZR MAXX for those very reasons. Even jailbroke the iPhone was nowhere near the MAXX capabilities. And the last rumor I heard was that the iPad original was not even on the upgrade path for IOS 6. For what I use mine for I guess it will be replaced with an Android tablet, as games are not life and death for me.

I came from the android environment to the IOS, and for me IOS is to locked/dumbed down. IOS is great for those who don't demand customization in their phones or do not want to become technically literate to use the power of Android.

It boils down to what the end user wants in their device and the iPhone just didn't cut it for me.... Or my wife who has one forced on her through work but much prefers the MAXX she has because of its capability - and she is not a power user.
    Last edited by Tperry; 06-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

...no (to the article).

A lot of it comes down to price. How many people in the general audience care about most of these features? All my mom needs is Facebook, and calling functionality on her phone. She could be well off with an Android and could have paid for a cheaper phone than to have paid $200+tax on an iPhone. The only reason she has an iPhone is bc I have one and I suggested it. Otherwise, Android has Facebook and 3G/4G capabilities, and can make/receive calls too. A lot of older people are getting into smartphones nowadays, and what matters to them right now isn't all these fancy things. So when it comes down to it, Android and iOS devices have the same basic functions to meet a lot of "basic people" today.

Like others have said, it's down to preference as well. Price and preference.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree. Android 5.0 is in the makings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    I disagree. Android 5.0 is in the makings
    You mean Jelly Bean, yep, it is in the works. Ice Cream Sandwich is still filtering out to the handsets now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I agree. This is just BS for the media to have something to write about.

Thanks

Its all about preference iOS vs OS and I'm sticking with iOS the new Map app looks incredibl3D

Yeah removing Google maps was a step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Don't see this "new" iOS map, that basically look like any other map apps out there, effectively deflate momentum of google 3D mobile mapping service? It looks just like TomTom app with Apple look to it. Google map actually introduce new stuff to their mapping service that is actually helpful to users.
    Look at the post right above this one on modmyi...shows TomTom data actually being used.

I think so.Only personal preference.
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

I don't think ios6 is all that. I was hoping for themes & animated wallpapers.

Thanks

What good is a droid with all these bells & whistles if it can't last over 12 hours with heavy use? Just my personal opinion.

Can iOS 5 User Upgrade To iOS 6 ????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    What good is a droid with all these bells & whistles if it can't last over 12 hours with heavy use? Just my personal opinion.
    Have you owned both? What android phone? You can't compare a low end android to the iPhone. If you are going to do that then my Motorola E815 stomps both.

Mine lasts as long as my iPhone 4 did with the same amount of use. As the iPhone gains more abilities it's battery life decreases just like the android smart phones do. The androids just have been able to do it longer, therefore have had a shorter battery life than the less capable iPhone. The battery in the MAXX is really amazing on up time on one charge.

Interesting read at reference battery time at http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...=mobile-phones

Bear in mind that is according to an independent third party testing for data and company web sites for voice.
    Last edited by Tperry; 06-13-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    Well the iPhone definitely can't last half that time with heavy use But the DROID RAZR maxx can last more than 12 hours of heavy use

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast