+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Quick Glance At Some Minor and Major iOS 6 Changes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
just saw this for the first time, so I will be able to DL iOS 6 on my iphone 3GS?
    Green Apple
    Thanks

just saw this for the first time, so I will be able to DL iOS 6 on my iphone 3GS?

Thanks

As long as the iPhone GUI is so ugly (big nasty clock, stupid dark blocks at top and bottom of lock screen, ridiculous slider) Ill be jail- breaking. And biteSMS, at least for QR, is the absolute deal breaker. Oh, and VolumeStep (have you tried that? It lets you adjust how big or small the jumps are between volume adjustments). There will always be reasons to jailbreak. This OS is like the others Apple has brought out, lots of stuff but not whole lots of real functionality. For those of us who don't live on the cutting edge of social networking, a lot of it will be useless. They changed the Settings layout? Whoopee.

Thanks
    why does the iPhone 3GS get the update but the third generation iPod touch doesn't?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

guys calm down just cause apple didnt support the older devices doesnt mean jailbreak devs wont port half of it over. they will port most of it that doesnt use up ram because thats the main reason they dont port stuff.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome new additions! Can't wait for the release!

Thanks

I can wait to upgrade my 4s and iPad 2 and 3 looks really nice I believe the one reason I will jailbreak now is only to use the tether app
    pain & time and glory

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDuke View Post
    Why is the iPhone 5 called the iOS 6?
    I've got a headache with this comment. Seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 826 Posts

Looks good. None of this seems difficult to theme

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I really wish that Apple would get rid of all of the gloss in the UI

Green Apple
    Thanks

My impression of most people here ... "Gripe, Gripe, grumble, grumble, wank wank wank ..."

Seriously, no one is ever happy. While there may be some features that I would like to see, Apple has consistently upped their game and brought good updates to the table. And the JB community seems to think that there are more of them than there really are. Just because a few thousand (out of millions) of users use a JB app does not mean that functionality needs to be rolled into the iOS interface.

And as for JB'ing in general, I am a tech head geek that loves to mess with his toys, but I haven't used a JB in well over a year because I got sick of having to reformat and reinstall every month or two just because some poorly coded app crashed my phone or caused a process to hang in the background, draining my battery. It really isn't worth the headache. And then having to wait to update and get the improved performance and new toys that non JB folks got with every iOS update ... painful.

I bought my car stock ... Could I add a bunch a crap to it to make it potentially "better"? Sure I could, but I am happy with it the way it is. Same goes for my iDevice. It does what I need it to do. I personally can't wait for iOS 6. And to you JB'ers, have fun with your crappy Google Maps and ginormous GPS apps. I'll be using the new Maps app and enjoying all the benefits of the new iOS while you're still waiting for an untethered JB 10 months after iOS 6 comes out ...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    No Streetview in Maps is the biggest drawback for me. For me Streetview was one of the greatest improvements to digital maps.
    I don't suppose Apple would allow Google Maps in the app store so I could just use it when I needed Streetview. Apple maps seems quite good but without Streetview I think I'll resist upgrading - not much for the iPhone 4 and I can't on my original iPad. But my iPad3 is turning up any day and Siri is tempting....
    I agree - no Streetview is a significant step backward. Most of us that need turn-by-turn directions already have Navigon, TomTom, etc., (which also work offline, i.e., in areas with no cellular reception). Ok, so we now get tight facebook integration built right into the iOS, but having never used facebook, I just can't get excited about that.

I'm also very surprised that we didn't get any kind of shortcut widgets. SBSettings was the most-requested feature and Apple even made a special effort to kill off all 3rd party apps that allowed shortcuts. Now I'm just wondering why? Are shortcuts going to be the one must-have feature in iOS 7?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Love the new music ui.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattOnDemand View Post
    I've got a headache with this comment. Seriously.
    I mean REALLY...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ummm. A lot of stuff missing if you other commenters were looking for a recap. Go here Apple - iOS 6 Preview

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izzy1990 View Post
    You forgot about the phone.app features has decline with text and remind me later something i have always wanted
    We didn't forget. As you can see, the demo device is an iPod touch and doesn't have a phone feature.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    My impression of most people here ... "Gripe, Gripe, grumble, grumble, wank wank wank ..."

Seriously, no one is ever happy. While there may be some features that I would like to see, Apple has consistently upped their game and brought good updates to the table. And the JB community seems to think that there are more of them than there really are. Just because a few thousand (out of millions) of users use a JB app does not mean that functionality needs to be rolled into the iOS interface.

And as for JB'ing in general, I am a tech head geek that loves to mess with his toys, but I haven't used a JB in well over a year because I got sick of having to reformat and reinstall every month or two just because some poorly coded app crashed my phone or caused a process to hang in the background, draining my battery. It really isn't worth the headache. And then having to wait to update and get the improved performance and new toys that non JB folks got with every iOS update ... painful.

I bought my car stock ... Could I add a bunch a crap to it to make it potentially "better"? Sure I could, but I am happy with it the way it is. Same goes for my iDevice. It does what I need it to do. I personally can't wait for iOS 6. And to you JB'ers, have fun with your crappy Google Maps and ginormous GPS apps. I'll be using the new Maps app and enjoying all the benefits of the new iOS while you're still waiting for an untethered JB 10 months after iOS 6 comes out ...
    Wow, there’s so much wrong here I couldn’t even begin…

Yes, there are some people complaining, but it is because there was no “Wow” feature that took everyone by surprise. The bigger surprise was what has been overlooked. From what I hear from actual developers though, it seems they are beyond happy with the new iOS.

You’re right, not everyone needs to jailbreak, but does stating that the functionality of many JB apps should be rolled in to the iOS mean we thing there “are more of us than there really are.” While anecdotal, every single person I’ve shown the Quick Compose & Quick Reply feature of BiteSMS has asked the question “When will Apple make that a part of the phone?” It is an incredibly intuitive feature. Should every JB app be rolled in to iOS? No, but based on the past Apple sure has thought so for some features.

You reformatted your phone that much? Wow, you must have been installing like mad from Cydia. While I try out a new app every once in a while, my phone stays pretty much the same as the day I jailbreak. Winterboard is just too much for my 3GS & I don’t miss it, while Springtomize gives me tons of options without the slowdown. Most updates are incremental as best & if you can’t have the patience of waiting for a jailbreak, well, that’s a personal problem. In the end it’s okay, for you jailbreaking wasn’t worth it, for me & countless others it is. That’s the bottom line.

Most people do not buy their car stock; you get some options at least. Whether the dealer or the manufacturer adds to the car or not, most people aren’t buying stock. Maybe you have, but I doubt it. As for touting the new Maps & shunning GPS apps, you realize with say, Navigon, I can download 1 state at a time? You also realize that because the maps exist on my phone I can use them without a cellular signal right? Not everything is better because it is stock, FYI.

As to your comment about waiting for iOS6, we all have choice on that. For me, I’ll be upgrading to the New iPhone when it is released & in doing so will lose my jailbreak for a time, but again I’m patient. & every person who jailbreaks can make that choice too. Is it worth losing my jailbreak to go to iOS 6? If yes, they can go if not, they can stay! We all have that choice & to infer that we’ll all just be “waiting for an untethered JB for 10 months” is idiotic.
    Last edited by Tario70; 06-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

I think i'm going to install the beta firmware but i'm not sure...

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkzero View Post
    I think i'm going to install the beta firmware but i'm not sure...
    I wouldn't. Too much incompatibility.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

WTF, there' s no Street View anymore, that' so lame. iOS6 is possibly the most boring update ever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    They also got rid of how the app store closes when you download something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!