Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why iOS 6 Maps Will Make Navigating Easier

Default Why iOS 6 Maps Will Make Navigating Easier

App Store navigation applications have flourished on iOS because of the lack of good navigation functionality in Apple’s stock Maps application. In iOS 6, Apple appears to have finally stepped up their game to something more useable. Google Maps is a terrible way to navigate yourself, as it is dangerous to look at the iPhone screen and calculate your destination on a soundless Google Map.

With iOS 6 Maps, iOS finally gets native turn-by-turn navigation support. The interface is equally as beautiful as it is functionally great. We see in the turn-by-turn mode everything that we would expect in a GPS application. Miles to go, large banners telling us what road we are on, estimated time of arrival, and a live visual of where we are moving. Turn by turn navigation means voice – YES VOICE! – telling us exactly where to go so we don't have to calculate our destination by ourselves.

Apart from turn-by-turn navigation, Maps doesn’t appear to use Google Maps for its standstill views anymore. According to Apple’s Web site, the new Maps uses Apple-designed mapping technology that looks great, uses high-contrast saturated colors, and maintains that professional, simple look that Apple is known for. With it, it is easy to see the landmass you are on with surrounding highways.

The biggest update to the Maps application is the Flyover view. This view seems to take advantage of that virtual reality view that was rumored so long ago. With it, you can see places in high definition detail from up above. It allows you to see great cities from where you would never expect to see them. The new view is equally as beautiful as it is powerful. With it, you can get a better understanding of an area and learn your way around without ever leaving your home.

Without a doubt, the Maps application was recreated from scratch and then dipped in gold. It will make navigation easier by helping us around our local neighborhoods with turn-by-turn navigation, allow us to use a nicer-looking map, and see our location from birds-eye view in high definition. If this isn’t easier than watching a blue dot move around on a Google Map and potentially not paying attention to traffic, then we aren’t sure what could make the Maps application any better!

Will I still be able to find bus routes on the new maps like I can with the current Google maps?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't believe i bought the garmin app...now this...oh well, gives me 3.4 gigs to free up

why drop iphone 4 support? and can you download offline maps?

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully with jailbreak tweeks we can have turn by turn on iPhone 4/3GS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

The biggest question is....

Will it work out of the US? (to the same high level of detail)

Quote Originally Posted by anime007 View Post
    Didnt they say iOS6 was for 3GS and up?

EDIT: Maybe because it uses Siri for the voice? Still no excuse.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Can't believe i bought the garmin app...now this...oh well, gives me 3.4 gigs to free up
    Lol I'd wait and see how much the stock iOS will take up before you plan on using that free space lol

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Lol I'd wait and see how much the stock iOS will take up before you plan on using that free space lol
    Yeah I was thinking about that

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks

So wait... This doesn't affect the iPhone 4?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Google Maps is not terrible

Scott Forstell said "we've had great transit apps in the store. So, instead of reinventing the wheel, we are connecting to these apps from Map". So, you no longer has bus routes built into the Map app, but it seems that you will still easily get it from the Map app.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Griffey III View Post
    Will I still be able to find bus routes on the new maps like I can with the current Google maps?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by anime007 View Post
    Nope, you can on Google maps for Android though.

Two things I'm REALLY worried about:
    Will it be a decent service outside the U.S.?
    Can I use it offline? (I mean downloading offline maps and using GPS navigation)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This turn by turn navigation looks similar to my MotionX GPS Drive in 3D mode, just look a bit more "Applish". I predicted this in another thread, but then it is not hard to guess because that is Apple take whats current and make it look "stylish" and patent it.
    Prefer the new google map version over this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Without a doubt, the Maps application was recreated from scratch and then dipped in gold.
    I highly doubt it was recreated from scratch. Apple is not known for that. Aren't they using TomTom as their map provider?

Happy for turn-by-turn but how will the Flyover help anyone over Street View and the bus schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    The biggest question is....

Will it work out of the US? (to the same high level of detail)
    Don't be silly of coarse it won't

No streetview? wth! Hope google are allowed to have the old google maps as a third party app in the AppStore.

Are there still people without nav in their cars? Who really walks around with a map on their phone trying to find someplace? The only thing I use it for is looking up someplace at work once in awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast