+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What iOS 6 Borrowed From the Jailbreak Community

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The long anticipated iOS 6 has been announced at today’s 2012 WWDC by Apple’s leading staff. iOS 6 will bring more than 200 new features to iOS (sound familiar?) and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What iOS 6 Borrowed From the Jailbreak Community

The long anticipated iOS 6 has been announced at today’s 2012 WWDC by Apple’s leading staff. iOS 6 will bring more than 200 new features to iOS (sound familiar?) and it will be borrowing a lot of new features from already existing functionality in the jailbreak community. So what is Apple borrowing from the Cydia store this time around? Take a look!

1. FaceTime Over Cellular Networks
    FaceTime has always been a great feature of iOS, but competing video chat services like Skype and Tango have showed Apple that it’s time to make FaceTime a more 'mobile' experience by allowing people to use it even in areas where Wi-Fi may not be available. Edge, 3G, and 4G networks are perfectly capable of delivering video chat services from one device to another. iOS 6 finally brings FaceTime over cellular networks, which could normally only be done by jailbreak tweaks such as FaceBreak or 3G Unrestrictor 5.

2. iOS Facebook Integration
    Facebook is the world’s most popular social networking Web site. It was only a matter of time before the world’s most popular mobile operating system came to an intersection with it. iOS 6 brings Facebook integration to those that prefer Facebook over Twitter and finally allows users to have a more ‘at-home’ social network media-sharing option. Facebook integration is a feature that could normally only be achieved with a jailbreak tweak dubbed Fusion.

3. Siri On The iPad
    While iOS 6 won’t be reaching out to the original iPad or the iPad 2 with Siri, The new iPad is expected to gain Siri functionality with iOS 6. For a long time now, only the iPhone 4S has had rights to Siri. The only way to get Siri on other iOS devices was to jailbreak them and install a Siri port commonly known as Spire. While Siri is coming to The new iPad, there still won’t be any legitimate support for the iPad 2, iPhone 4, or iPod touch 4G.

4. Siri Can Understand Sports
    As demonstrated at WWDC 2012, Siri has become much smarter and is just about out of beta. In iOS 6, Siri can now be asked about game scores for all kinds of sports. With the Siri we are all used to now, this never used to be a reality. Jailbreakers would be able to query Siri about sports, though, with a jailbreak tweak dubbed SiriSports that will allow Siri to fetch game scores from almost any sport and almost any game being played.

5. Do Not Disturb
    iOS 6, as expected, is implementing a ‘Do Not Disturb’ functionality that can be used to silence notifications when you don’t want to hear from them. It is basically a switch that can keep notifications from lighting up your lock screen, causing noises or vibrations, or getting in the way of what you are doing with banner popups. This ‘Do Not Disturb’ functionality was introduced just a little while ago with a jailbreak tweak dubbed BannerDisable.

6. Enhanced VIP Mail Options
    All jailbreakers know what it means to enhance the functionality of the Mail application. Mail is beautiful, but it lacks some common E-mail client functionality, such as that of marking the messages that are most important to you so you can expedite your read and response time to those that are most important first. iOS 6 brings a feature that allows you to mark certain contacts as VIPs and their E-mails will be separated from those that are less important. The jailbreak community is familiar with similar functionality in tweaks like Mail Enhancer Pro, which can color-coat certain messages to let you know that they are more important than some of the other E-mails inside of your inbox.

Even though Apple frowns upon the jailbreak community, it is pretty mind-boggling how they seem to enhance iOS with features that we bring to our iOS devices all by ourselves without Apple’s help.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Close to not needing a jailbreak. but i still need my SBsettings

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Does jean michael cart still work for apple? He could have helped to get these implemented

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    from apples website:
    Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
    ots at apple.com/ios/ios6 in the fine print at the bottom... no siri for iPad 2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SBSettings and BiteSMS features are what iOS 6 should've had to help curb jailbreaking.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

shrug. some of these are no brainers.. facetime over cell? apple planned it long ago, blame the carriers for not permitting it. ios facebook integration? rumored long ago from apple, before their negotiations with facebook broke down. siri on the ipad, did someone actually not expect apple to do this?

it's hard to say some of these items were "borrowed" when they were rather obvious.

Thanks

I'm actually disappointed they didn't steal more from the jailbreak community.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iAdamir's Avatar
    Thanks

You could add "anyattach" that gives the abilities to add files directly from mail app, and "Instasocial", that let you post on Facebook and Twitter directly from notification center !
    Last edited by iAdamir; 06-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    [CENTER]

Thanks

Honestly, there's nothing in iOS 6 that's really making me want to lose my jailbreak on iPhone......might upgrade my iPad for Siri but we'll see....

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
    I'm actually disappointed they didn't steal more from the jailbreak community.
    Honestly, I am too. I was hoping for widgets, quick reply, more customization, new UI...oh well...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-Cat View Post
    Honestly, there's nothing in iOS 6 that's really making me want to lose my jailbreak on iPhone......might upgrade my iPad for Siri but we'll see....
    Same here. I'll update anyway though. Im still at 5.0.1
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Another JB feature I noticed they've got in iOS6 is full-screen Safari... at least for iPhone/iPod in landscape mode.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

When will they ever implement SMS quick reply?
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone Chamillionze's Avatar
    Thanks

quick reply would be nice too

Thanks

Everything!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 723 Posts

So we need to keep developing things for our iPhones so that in hopes apple will use it for their software. I wonder what would happen if we stopped jail breaking. What would their ideas be then?

Thanks

they said over 200 new features. I guess we will have to wait til developers get it so they can start listing the additional features.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Damn I kind of want to update. I use navigation alot do that update would be pretty cool. But I can't lose my biteSMS! I love replying to txts without having to switch out of the current app/game I'm in!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If I enroll my self on the mobile developing program for $100/year will I be able to install iOS6 in my iPad and iPhone 4S?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by endwaro View Post
    If I enroll my self on the mobile developing program for $100/year will I be able to install iOS6 in my iPad and iPhone 4S?
    Yep
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast