+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FaceTime Available Over Cellular with iOS 6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple confirmed today at WWDC that FaceTime - Apple's popular two-way video calling feature - is moving up in the world and away from its dependency on Wi-Fi connectivity. Scott
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default FaceTime Available Over Cellular with iOS 6

Apple confirmed today at WWDC that FaceTime - Apple's popular two-way video calling feature - is moving up in the world and away from its dependency on Wi-Fi connectivity.

Scott Forstall, Apple's vice president of iPhone Software, revealed on stage Monday during the WWDC kickoff that iOS 6 will allow iDevice users to make FaceTime video calls over cellular data networks.

For example, iPhone users will no longer be limited to FaceTime usage at home or in public places where Wi-Fi is accessible. This reality confirms another rumor we've been hearing about in recent months as the annual WWDC approached.

Additionally, Forstall said that iPhone users, through iOS 6, will have their phone number and Apple ID unified. In other words, if someone sends a FaceTime request to a mobile phone number, the call can still be answered on an iPad or Mac.

iOS 6 beta will be released to developers today. It will be compatible with iPhone 3GS or later as well as the iPad 2 and 3... not the original iPad as MMi previously reported.

Stay with MMi for more news and updates from WWDC as they develop.

Thanks

So much for My3G and my data plan is gonna b used up on day 1... Maybe 2
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 06-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 4,200 Posts

This is cool now my wife can FaceTime me and I can see my little girl. Since she would no let me jailbreak her phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    This is cool now my wife can FaceTime me and I can see my little girl. Since she would no let me jailbreak her phone.
    Unless she has an iPhone 3GS...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple should really give more props to the JB Devs especially since they routinely "absorb" their stuff into iOS releases. I was doing facetime over cellular on my iPhone 3GS (you heard it right) like forever ago. Sayin...
    Last edited by Lohand; 06-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Apple should really give more props to the JB Devs especially if they routinely "absorb" their stuff into iOS releases. I was doing facetime over cellular on my iPhone 3GS (you heard it right) like forever ago. Sayin...
    Agree.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Unless she has an iPhone 3GS...
    She has a iPhone 4

Thanks

I don't get why this is a big deal. Most people would rather text now a days then talk. So why would you want to look at the person you would rather text. Nice gimmick but I rarely use FaceTime. Smart phones and other electronics are creating a world where we don't interact. Next time you ride a bus, train or airplane just look around. Everyone has got headphones on listening to music or watching a movie or texting, or doing work. So again people don't want to interact anymore so why is FaceTime a big deal. And god forbid the first newscast we see where someone killed someone because that where Facetiming someone instead of looking at the road.

Maybe this is a favor to the phone companies who were pissed off by iMessage taking away from texting. This could easily make people go over on their data plans giving the phone companies the ability to bill for overages.

Only time will tell.

Thanks

Apple should really give more props to the JB Devs especially since they routinely "absorb" their stuff into iOS releases. I was doing facetime over cellular on my iPhone 3GS (you heard it right) like forever ago. Sayin...
    do you really think apple didn't plan this all along and that it wasn't likely veto'ed by the carriers? at&t didn't have the capacity to handle it then, now, they will just get you to burn your data cap faster. please. apple didn't "absorb" this from the JB community.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    LOL my wife is the same way and of course her IT guy at work told her if she jailbroke her phone that she would get viruses. Haha.
    And she knows I have had JB's since the 2g and never had issues.

+1

Thanks
    Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,191 Posts

From what I read on Apple site, 3G facetime only works with iPhone 4s and New iPad.
    I am kinda disappointed about it because I am still using iphone 4

4.FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries (Apple site)