Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chitika: Features Drive iOS Users to Update, Not Security

Thanks

Default Chitika: Features Drive iOS Users to Update, Not Security

According to a new report by Chitika, iOS users jump to a new version mainly for the enticing features instead of the increased security which is often provided. The analytics firm looked at iOS adoption rates and found that 12.5% of users installed iOS 5.1.1 within the first week and compared it to the 20% who grabbed the feature filled iOS 5 in the first seven days.

“Users of Apple mobile devices are, as a group, much quicker to upgrade their software when a new release touts new features, rather than security fixes,” says Chitika. This seems to make sense as most users don’t feel that they will become victims of a security issue.

Overall, the iOS adoption rate is high when compared to the Android platform. Recent statistics from Google show that 7% of Android handsets run the latest release, which is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The number is miniscule when compared to the 83.3% of iOS users who are using some version of 5.0. With this being said, it is likely many users will be upgrading in the near future as iOS 6 is likely to be released soon. The news was recently revealed as iOS 6 banners have been seen up in preparation for WWDC 2012.

Source: Chitika

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

This is absolutely ridiculous lol.. JB= users upgrade lol...

.. this is a nobrainer.....

who buys a phone for security (average user not cia agent..)... they buy it for features

The 5.1.1 update offered nothing for either my iPod Touch 3 or my iPad 3. I only updated my iPad to jailbreak. iOS N jailbroken is more favourable than iOS N+1 stock. To me at least...

Surely the reason for poor up take on andriod is largely down to the slowness of the handset makers taking the new version and arsing about with it to make it work on their handsets! Not that I care as I update when a jailbreak is available

Quote Originally Posted by bluestrk View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous lol.. JB= users upgrade lol...
    The VAST majority of iOS users DO NOT jailbreak.. Jb'ers make up a VERY small percentage, so the idea that 5.1.1 adoption at these rates has anything to do with the jb is idiotic at best... No brainer is right... Because apparently some of you have NO brain!

Here are some numbers to chew on. Apple sells 100-200 million iOS devices each year (280 mill expected this year) yet Absinthe v2 has only jailbroken just under 1 million devices... You do the math moron!
    Last edited by jbardi; 06-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,088 Posts

I'd be interested in knowing the 'update increase' after the 5.1.1 Jailbreak was released...

It'd be cool to see what percentage of users fall into our small 'niche.'

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Surely the reason for poor up take on andriod is largely down to the slowness of the handset makers taking the new version and arsing about with it to make it work on their handsets! Not that I care as I update when a jailbreak is available
    True... Fragmentation causes major delays for the new Android OS even being available to many users, not counting cheap hardware in so many of these throw away Android phones that are not designed to last beyond one iteration of the OS with their poor, low quality hardware that simply can not run each successive version of the OS.
    Last edited by jbardi; 06-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I just want to know who they actually surveyed. I know I wasn't asked. How many of you were actually surveyed for this? I really don't see how this poll can reflect reality when we know nothing about the sample of people that was surveyed or how the information was collected.

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    The VAST majority of iOS users DO NOT jailbreak.. Jb'ers make up a VERY small percentage
    Care to back this up with some actual evidence? How could you possibly know who has and who hasn't jail broken any of their devices? You've actually illustrated the same problem that I see with this report; how many people have actually participated? Where was it conducted? Etc, etc.

I thought a lot of people jailbroke their devices too, only to find out that only a few out of the people I know or have met. I see iPhones everyday, and most of them look stock.

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    Care to back this up with some actual evidence? How could you possibly know who has and who hasn't jail broken any of their devices? You've actually illustrated the same problem that I see with this report; how many people have actually participated? Where was it conducted? Etc, etc.
    Saurik has jailbreak statistics because he collects info on every device which launches Cydia. So the stats on newly jailbroken devices using Absinthe are very accurate as well as previously jailbroken devices. So who participated? Everyone who jailbroke and ran Cydia participated that's who!

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    The VAST majority of iOS users DO NOT jailbreak.. Jb'ers make up a VERY small percentage, so the idea that 5.1.1 adoption at these rates has anything to do with the jb is idiotic at best... No brainer is right... Because apparently some of you have NO brain!

Here are some numbers to chew on. Apple sells 100-200 million iOS devices each year (280 mill expected this year) yet Absinthe v2 has only jailbroken just under 1 million devices... You do the math moron!
    6 - 12% of iOS users JB their device. It drops to 6% when a new iOS is released but rises steadily to 12% when a new JB is out.
    Many users were already JB on older devices.

Please refrain from calling other users names - it just makes you look ignorant (which I'm sure you are not).
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

The only reason I upgraded to 5.1.1 once the jailbreak was released was because of a feature 5.0.1 didn't have. Single photo deletion from the Photostream.

Quote Originally Posted by curly420 View Post
    The only reason I upgraded to 5.1.1 once the jailbreak was released was because of a feature 5.0.1 didn't have. Single photo deletion from the Photostream.
    Exactly!!! I also upgraded to use iPhoto and the new versions of the iWork apps!!!