+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeks Preliminary Injunction against Samsung's Galaxy S III

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Seeks Preliminary Injunction against Samsung's Galaxy S III

Apple recently filed a motion to block U.S. sales of Samsung’s new Galaxy S III smartphone with claims of the handset being included as part of another ongoing preliminary injunction case against the Galaxy Nexus. According to FOSS Patents, Apple claims the Galaxy S III, which is set to hit U.S. stores on June 21, should be considered a direct successor to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and therefore should be enjoined to the case already underway in California.

If the request is granted, the Nexus injunction suit could end up being a homerun for Apple as it would stop sales of both the legacy Galaxy handset as well as the yet to be released in the U.S., Galaxy S III. Apple procured that the new Galaxy S III which is on sale in the U.S. “clearly infringes at least two of the Apple patents at issue in the preliminary injunction motion for the exact same reasons as the Galaxy Nexus.”

Apple went on to say that “[according] to press reports, Samsung has already sold over nine million pre-orders of the Galaxy S III; indeed, the Galaxy S III has been reported to be the most extensively pre-ordered piece of consumer electronics in history.” As of right now, Apple is still investigating whether the Samsung device infringes on two other patents asserted in the original Nexus injunction motion. Since the S III is set to be released in two weeks, Apple is has limited “its current request for preliminary relief against the Galaxy S III to the '604 [unified search, Siri] and '647 [data tapping] patents, because it is clear that infringement can be shown with respect to these patents based on the current record."

Both Apple and Samsung seem to be continuing the disputes with one another and don’t seem to have any method to resolve their issues in sight. An injunction against the flagship Galaxy S III will likely have a large negative impact on the company’s bottom line so we’ll have to see what the court decides. In the meantime, the filing is the latest development in the companies’ worldwide patent struggle.

Source: FOSS Patents

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

the S3 is already on sale here in australia and heaps of people i know have already got their hands on one. apple will want to get cracking if they want an injunction

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice looking phone but has any one else noticed the 2 color option is the same as apple's iPhone...

Would you like that in black or white??

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Nice looking phone but has any one else noticed the 2 color option is the same as apple's iPhone...
    Would you like that in black or white??
    Nope, seeing as how the colors are Marble White or Pebble Blue. And most recently, AT&T looks like it will offer it in Red also. Apple claiming it should be considered a direct successor to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is playing dumb. It's a successor for the Galaxy S II. The Nexus line of phones have their own successors, like how the Galaxy Nexus was the direct successor for the Nexus S which the Nexus brand is a pure Google phone
    Last edited by Painkiller006; 06-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks

Come on now, their version of Apple's siri is a direct rip off, and if anyone disagrees with that, is living in a cave. This injunction is justified for all the fandroids out there.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Come on now, their version of Apple's siri is a direct rip off, and if anyone disagrees with that, is living in a cave.
    Is Apple's Siri a direct rip off of Google's Voice Actions or what about the notification drop? Perhaps apple should try to compete instead of suing the competition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Is Apple's Siri a direct rip off of Google's Voice Actions or what about the notification drop? Perhaps apple should try to compete instead of suing the competition.
    Again, I see a dumb comment like this again. "Oh what about Google voice actions!?" Do you even know what Siri is for? It is a system, which UNDERSTANDS what you are trying to say. Google Voice Actions is a robotic system consisting of PRESET commands which you have to remember to do anything. See the difference here? No?

I will give you one about the notification "drop" only, but their system of notification transmission is completely unique and not ripped off. Meanwhile, Samsung just directly, not only copies the UI, but the whole system as well.

Edit: Also I am guessing you don't know that Siri was not created by Apple, but rather OBTAINED. They are the ones developing everything now, with proper patents and rights to the technology.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 06-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

ya siri, although gimicy at this point is fairly original in functionality, S-Voice is a rip off. And they mean it is a successor to the Nexus because it is the next phone smasung made to compete in the iPhone space. Also, is it just me, or is this phone REALLY ugly?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

I preordered mine today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

*sigh* apple is like the Miami Heat (basketball team) they win but they're a bunch of crying annoying bittccchhessss!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Again, I see a dumb comment like this again. "Oh what about Google voice actions!?" Do you even know what Siri is for? It is a system, which UNDERSTANDS what you are trying to say. Google Voice Actions is a robotic system consisting of PRESET commands which you have to remember to do anything. See the difference here? No?

I will give you one about the notification "drop" only, but their system of notification transmission is completely unique and not ripped off. Meanwhile, Samsung just directly, not only copies the UI, but the whole system as well.

Edit: Also I am guessing you don't know that Siri was not created by Apple, but rather OBTAINED. They are the ones developing everything now, with proper patents and rights to the technology.
    Yes, I'm well aware Siri was bought by Apple. Siri is nothing more than an upgraded version of Voice Commands, just how S-Voice is an upgraded version of Vlingo. By UI you mean the little mic in the bottom? Im running S-Voice on my Galaxy Nexus and compare to my friends iPhone, the mic seems to be the only thing similar. How are you so certain the "system" was copied as well?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did a little image research and came up with a time line for phones released. Funny how Samsungs new things always look a little like apples old things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chalty669 For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (06-07-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually the GSIII is my upgrade phone in mind when my upgrade comes in October. Also about ripping off, Apple's ripped off features that Android uses. Also no offense, but I personally find Android as a more friendly to use as iOS jailed aggravates me. Here are a few things that Apple has now that Android always had.

Notification Dropdown
    iPhone- iOS 5 as Notification Center
    Android- Since release

Widgets
    iPhone- iOS 5 but they suck
    Android- Release and are actually useful and can have widgets other than Weather and Stocks

Multitasking
    iPhone- iOS 4 (easier to close apps than Android)
    Android- Release but closing apps is a pain

Also one last thing I have to say is the GSIII and the iPhone look NOTHING alike. Maybe the only similarity is that they are both available in both black and white

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    Multitasking
    iPhone- iOS 4 (easier to close apps than Android)
    Android- Release but closing apps is a pain
    It's super easy running ICS

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe the only similarity is that they are both available in both black and white
    Actually it's blue & white. No black! yay!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    *sigh* apple is like the Miami Heat (basketball team) they win but they're a bunch of crying annoying bittccchhessss!!!!!
    Agreed.

Banned
    Thanks

All this proves is Apple have more money than sense and they are scared that there is another device that is better than the iPhone and instead of making a better product they prefer to kill off the competition.
    NOT the smart way to do business and this just proves Apple aren't smart.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    *yawn* there should be a lawsuit limit. Each company is allowed 10 lawsuits a year...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware Siri was bought by Apple. Siri is nothing more than an upgraded version of Voice Commands, just how S-Voice is an upgraded version of Vlingo. By UI you mean the little mic in the bottom? Im running S-Voice on my Galaxy Nexus and compare to my friends iPhone, the mic seems to be the only thing similar. How are you so certain the "system" was copied as well?
    I still don't think you are understanding what Siri is. Since I do not have time to explain, which a simple search would reveal, here are some descriptions. Yes, I know Android's voice actions are "faster," but Siri is still in beta with a lot of potential.

---------------------------------
    Siri uses Nuance speech processing technology on the front end to recognize and capture speech “utterances.” (As an aside, Nuance has its own “assistant” in the form of the app Dragon Go!) Siri’s “secret sauce” involves its capacity to understand your question in a natural speech form rather than relying on keywords or rigid protocols to initiate specific actions. Google’s technology was developed in house and is somewhat more rigid than Siri. It requires certain key phrases or words to invoke particular actions.

Siri Has “Personality”
    What Siri offers that is not equally true for Google Voice Actions or Nuance’s Dragon Go! is broad and deep integration into the phone and a more conversational style of interaction. This is subtle but meaningful in comparing the experiences of using Siri and Google Voice Actions. Siri has personality whereas Google Voice Actions does not. Siri is also generally more intuitive. In terms of most features, however, Google Voice Actions and Siri are fairly comparable — though Siri does more things.

Head To Head: Siri Vs. Google Voice Actions

That was just some of the descriptions, there are several other things you can read about. Samsung is copying the speech processing technology and the "personality" of it, and deeply integrating it into the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's ugly brick =_=