+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Raises Curtain on 3D Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Google Raises Curtain on 3D Maps

On Wednesday, Internet search giant and Android maker Google rolled out the red carpet to lead the grand unveiling of that which is being touted as the future of mobile mapping services.

Google’s ubiquitous mapping service will be overhauled with three-dimensional images of major cities to create a mobile mapping experience like no other... at least, perhaps, like no other until Apple unveils iOS 6 next week and steals Google's thunder with a comparable maps offering.

Nonetheless, Google had its moment in the sun today as the company demonstrated the 3D imagery inbound for mobile devices in the coming weeks.

There were impressive new features on display as well, including offline use and better 3-D maps. Soon people with phones using Google’s Android operating system will be able to pinch bits of maps on the screen and zoom in and out of things like city plans when they are not connected to the Internet.
    "I'm very proud of Google Maps...which is available on a variety of platforms today, and we will make Google Maps as widely available as we can," said Brian McClendon, vice president of engineering for Google Maps, who headlined Google's press conference today. "The power of Google Maps has been developed over a number of years. The search box is more powerful than a geocoder."

Source: NY Times

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple can release their own Maps app all they want, its just going to be a clone of Google Maps. It'll do the same stuff and look pretty much the same. My bet is that Google will make their app available and people will use it over Apple's own offering, unless Apple blocks it from the AppStore.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 06-06-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Language

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

At last it came it ! Apple will manage without google maps

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple's map would not be as good as this, aerial mapping can not be as detailed as street mapping. My guesses is Apple's aerial mapping would be similar to what exists right now, maybe with a tiny bit of Apple twist to it.

I find Google's new offering quite a bit more useful. Because when I need to find a place I can actually see what the shop looks like or landmarks so I know I am nearly there. If they offer voice direction I can see myself using this quite a bit, right now I am using Motion X GPS Drive just because there is voice direction for the maps.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Google is doing other odd things with their Map/Earth products:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/06/go...:street-view-1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Golfinglenn's Avatar
    Thanks

I do miss Google maps from my droid days :-(.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Shame Google doesn't patent as much or on as many vague things as Apple. Would love to see them sue Apple for the potential clone of Google Maps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Apple can release their own Maps app all they want, its just going to be a clone of Google Maps. It'll do the same stuff and look pretty much the same. My bet is that Google will make their app available and people will use it over Apple's own offering, unless Apple blocks it from the AppStore.
    .. I don't like how you think maps is googles whole thing. Like they own it. Actually people probs won't prefer it cause they won't have turn by turn navigation. It shows you don't realize that apple doesn't just block everything. It's immature to assume thu would

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I don't think Apple would block it from the App Store, and Google probably will make it a separate app. However, I doubt if they'll make it as good as the one available as a native app in Android because that is one of their selling points. That being said, they may not even bother to make an iOS version and hence then be able to say that there is no free mapping/gps option as good as theirs available on the iPhone, unless Apple has something extraordinary lined up, which wouldn't really surprise me that much seeing as how they are damn good at what they do.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    This may be a stupid question, but how does this differ from what google maps can already do? Ive used the street view many times before to see what buildings look like. Is this an expansion of that?