+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ITC Judge to Employ "Cheech and Chong" Test in Apple v. Samsung Patent Case

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Judge Thomas Pender, expert in international patent law, and purveyor of the "Cheech and Chong" test. Thursday an International Trade Commission judge said Apple and Samsung’s ongoing patent case may
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default ITC Judge to Employ "Cheech and Chong" Test in Apple v. Samsung Patent Case

Judge Thomas Pender, expert in international patent law, and purveyor of the "Cheech and Chong" test.

Thursday an International Trade Commission judge said Apple and Samsung’s ongoing patent case may be decided by what the judge referred to as the “Cheech and Chong” test.

The judge in question is one Thomas Pender, according to Bloomberg. Pender commented that the case may come down to the aforementioned “Cheech and Chong” test first tried during the Salem witch trials, and later inspired the comedic duo Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong. The test consists of identifying an object using the following qualifications: “Does it look like it, feel like it, and smell like it?”

For the 1970’s pop culture novice Cheech and Chong famously applied the above test in an attempt to decipher whether or not a substance they believed to be dog feces, was in fact dog feces. After applying each step of the test to the substance, they ultimately agreed the substance was feces and were happy they didn’t step in it.

The case to which Pender will likely apply this rigorous form of testing involves Apple’s allegations that the Samsung Galaxy Tab and smartphone lineups copied the look and feel of the iPad and iPhone.

Apple’s lawyers claim Samsung copied not only the overall design, but even “the smallest detail of the iPhone.” Samsungs retort claims the company arrived at the designs of their Galaxy products after spending $3.5 billion and decades of research. I really wish I was the R&D department that blew $3.5 billion and when asked what we came up with, just held up a spray painted iPhone. And got away with it.

Judge Pender will hear the Apple v. Samsung case through June 6 and will deliver his ruling on Oct. 5. Presumably demonstrating his conclusion via the Cheech and Chong test.

Source: Apple Insider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 06-01-2012 at 12:48 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

"I really wish I was the R&D department that blew $3.5 billion and when asked what we came up with, just held up a spray painted iPhone. And got away with it."

That's exactly what I was thinking!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I was really hoping the "Cheech and Chong test" would force all of Samsung's lawyers, execs, and r&d, to all get super high....and THEN testify how they REALLY came up with "their" design... That would have been awesome! And a much better method of getting Samsung to tell the truth!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Decades of research for plastic?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is it me or is the writing in this article kind of slanted... I know this is an iPhone enthusiast site but I thought impartiality was still the order of the day when it came to journalists and their articles? Maybe I'm giving the writer too much credit by calling him a journalist.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ednometry View Post
    Is it me or is the writing in this article kind of slanted... I know this is an iPhone enthusiast site but I thought impartiality was still the order of the day when it came to journalists and their articles? Maybe I'm giving the writer too much credit by calling him a journalist.
    Well lately there is a lot of copy and paste on this site, that might be straight cut and copy from another site.
    To say Samsung could easily have copied LG Prada instead of iPhone, after all they were the first to come out with smartphone with current configuration and yes even before iPhone came out. It is more feasible since they are both Korean company and before Apple was even on people's cellular radar. One might even say LG have a case against Apple iPhone copying their design.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ednometry View Post
    It's just you. Go back to your Samsung forum if you don't want to hear the truth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default At a lost for words, but here are some anyway...
    Mr. Swanson is brilliant and so, there is no need for Judge Pender (and Apple and Samsung to spend all these monies), as he has convincingly settled the infringement matters!
    Quite frankly, I am not sure if my comments are relevant, as I believe this forum is biased towards all things Apple. I read it because I DO OWN an iPhone 3GS, but also want to LEARN more about new technologies. That said, I do read it with a huge grain of salt!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Well lately there is a lot of copy and paste on this site, that might be straight cut and copy from another site.
    To say Samsung could easily have copied LG Prada instead of iPhone, after all they were the first to come out with smartphone with current configuration and yes even before iPhone came out. It is more feasible since they are both Korean company and before Apple was even on people's cellular radar. One might even say LG have a case against Apple iPhone copying their design.
    I can assure you the only copy and paste going on involves direct quotes. Also, if you want to challenge "journalistic integrity" I invite you to read some of my previous work. While I have professionally moved into more video production, I still enjoy and love writing about technology/iOS/jailbreaks. Here's a few links to some original content. This story required me to make satellite phone calls to a student doing doctoral work on deep ocean drilling rigs in Antarctica. Here's another about special needs children. Oh and here's an entry to a blog I did for The New York Times in 2009 during my junior season at WMU.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Umm, I don't think it's exactly the same, the OS is different and there is no physical home button.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    I can assure you the only copy and paste going on involves direct quotes. Also, if you want to challenge "journalistic integrity" I invite you to read some of my previous work. While I have professionally moved into more video production, I still enjoy and love writing about technology/iOS/jailbreaks. Here's a few links to some original content. This story required me to make satellite phone calls to a student doing doctoral work on deep ocean drilling rigs in Antarctica. Here's another about special needs children. Oh and here's an entry to a blog I did for The New York Times in 2009 during my junior season at WMU.

While I don't think he was challenging your whole body of work, he makes a valid point. My resume isn't as impressive as yours, but I do have a journalism degree. The point of a news article is to distribute the relevant information. Your personal opinion on the right or wrongdoing of Samsung really has no merit in the story. I could understand following up the post with your own critiques and opinions, but putting it in an article to sway other people's opinions violates the very principles you represent as a journalist.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Piazza331 For This Useful Post:

alanjf (06-01-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Umm, I don't think it's exactly the same, the OS is different and there is no physical home button.
    Hey bro I copied your paper word for word, but don't worry I changed the name and student ID... I'm not a moron.
    Last edited by Norb; 06-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

It sounds like this judge can smell the bull**** coming out of Samsung's mouth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    While I don't think he was challenging your whole body of work, he makes a valid point. My resume isn't as impressive as yours, but I do have a journalism degree. The point of a news article is to distribute the relevant information. Your personal opinion on the right or wrongdoing of Samsung really has no merit in the story. I could understand following up the post with your own critiques and opinions, but putting it in an article to sway other people's opinions violates the very principles you represent as a journalist.
    In understand the backbone of journalism is objectivity, but the nature of blogs, and the aggregate news cycle is incredibly removed from the nature of true journalism. This article in particular isn't intended to sway the reader on way or another, more than it is intended to show how utterly ridiculous this patent war has gotten. So ridiculous in fact an ITC judge deems it unworthy anything better than a Cheech and Chong reference.

Thanks

Guys, lay off. If you want better journalism than this, why don't you just make your own FREE news site? He doesn't influence your own free thinking, but just shows how ridiculous this is getting. Nice job, Phillip.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    if you want to challenge "journalistic integrity" I invite you to read some of my previous work. While I have professionally moved into more video production, I still enjoy and love writing about technology/iOS/jailbreaks.
    Your past articles are not necessarily what in question here, but the current one.

Are you really trying to say that comments like
    I really wish I was the R&D department that blew $3.5 billion and when asked what we came up with, just held up a spray painted iPhone. And got away with it.
    are objective and unbiased?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    It sounds like this judge can smell the bull**** coming out of Samsung's mouth.
    Agreed.
    El Zurdo

Banned
    Thanks

Only an *** or an apple fanboy would say that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a copy of the iPad. considering not only the 20 or so differences between the two--Samsung released a tablet before anybody ever even thought of an iDevice let alone an iPad.

Id like to ask the apple cult where did they get the idea for......

- a portable multimedia device that plays music & video, displays photos, accesses email, surfs the web and can run mobile apps? I did all this on my Compaq iPaq (yeah, the original iDevice) back in the late 90's.

and yes, there were multiple "app stores" back then.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

alanjf (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 363 Posts

gotta agree that the apple fanboys are agreeing that apple will come out the winner of that test. I was thinking yay finally apple would lose. You pick up those devices and can easily see, yes they're similar, but they're definitely different. i love my iphone, but i still understand the apple is a money grubby greedy monopoly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Only an *** or an apple fanboy would say that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a copy of the iPad. considering not only the 20 or so differences between the two--Samsung released a tablet before anybody ever even thought of an iDevice let alone an iPad.

Id like to ask the apple cult where did they get the idea for......

- a portable multimedia device that plays music & video, displays photos, accesses email, surfs the web and can run mobile apps? I did all this on my Compaq iPaq (yeah, the original iDevice) back in the late 90's.

and yes, there were multiple "app stores" back then.
    The iPaq came out in early 2000. Solid point though.
    Gives thanks...Do you?