+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cricket to Launch First Prepaid iPhone in U.S. on June 22nd

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In less than one month, the first prepaid iPhone in the U.S. will become available. On Thursday, Cricket Wireless confirmed that it will become the nation's first prepaid wireless carrier
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

    Default Cricket to Launch First Prepaid iPhone in U.S. on June 22nd


    In less than one month, the first prepaid iPhone in the U.S. will become available.

    On Thursday, Cricket Wireless confirmed that it will become the nation's first prepaid wireless carrier to serve up the iPhone. Beginning June 22nd, the touchscreen Apple smartphone will be launched with an unlimited plan costing $55-per-month.

    As of this writing, plans call for Cricket to sell the 16-GB iPhone 4S for $500 without a contract. The 8-GB iPhone 4, on the other hand, will cost $400. The unlimited $55 talk, text and data plan applies to both devices.

    "Our customers want the best products available and we are excited to bring iPhone to our pre-paid consumers with an industry leading $55 per-month service plan," said Doug Hutcheson, president and chief executive officer with Leap Wireless International. "Launching iPhone is a major milestone for us and we are proud to offer iPhone customers attractive nationwide coverage, a robust 3G data network and a value-packed, no-contract plan."

    Cricket says that pre-sales will begin online June 15th. But with Cricket's network covering only about 90 million Americans, not everyone will have immediate access to this opportunity.

    Sources: Cricket, CNN Money

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic MXCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    $500?? I'm better off buying an iPhone 4s off them assuming their iPhone's are unlock?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm confused....how is a $55 a month "plan" considered a prepaid phone by Cricket?

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by FilSmith View Post
    I'm confused....how is a $55 a month "plan" considered a prepaid phone by Cricket?
    Because it is non-contract. You can quit the plan at any time. If you pay your 55.00 on june 30th, and dont pay it again by july 30th, your phone service just shuts off till you pay again.

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    This is not the first....I had a pre-paid 1st Gen iPhone.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak? qwertydirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is a "GameChanger".

    Is Cricket GSM?

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Straight talk has supported sim card iPhones with its service for a while now. $30 for 1000 minutes 1000 texts and 30 mb of data. Or $45 for unlimited everything for a month.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertydirect View Post
    This is a "GameChanger".

    Is Cricket GSM?

    Cricket is CDMA. You can use some verizon phones on cricket without doing anything to them.

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Dagnabit T-mobile, you better get that 1900mhz refarm completed soon. it is ridiculous that every single carrier in the US big and small now has iPhone officially except t-mobile. My factory unlocked iPhone 4S on t-mobile running on edge is becoming soooo annoying to use when not at a wifi hotspot.

    I seriously had a better data connection back in 2004 on Sprint than what I am getting with T-mobile edge. Just checked my bandwith... hmmm im getting 5.6KB/s down wow, I am officially going 56K modem speeds here. I feel like I'm in 1998 again... so nostalgic.

    The only difference here is that my 56k modem gave me more reliable and consistant average throughput. Edge jumps around like crazy. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak? qwertydirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Tmo's data network is only good for emails without attachments!!

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cbutters View Post
    Dagnabit T-mobile, you better get that 1900mhz refarm completed soon. it is ridiculous that every single carrier in the US big and small now has iPhone officially except t-mobile. My factory unlocked iPhone 4S on t-mobile running on edge is becoming soooo annoying to use when not at a wifi hotspot.

    I seriously had a better data connection back in 2004 on Sprint than what I am getting with T-mobile edge. Just checked my bandwith... hmmm im getting 5.6KB/s down wow, I am officially going 56K modem speeds here. I feel like I'm in 1998 again... so nostalgic.

    The only difference here is that my 56k modem gave me more reliable and consistant average throughput. Edge jumps around like crazy. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    Amen to that.. I also have a factory unlocked 4s on T-Mobile.. I stick with them because the rates are superior by far and my experience with customer service has always been awesome..

    For voice and text it works perfectly fine for me.. but MMS is spotty .. MMS has always been a pain with my iphones on t-mobile.. it never works out of the box and even when you enter the settings I have weird issues like small photos coming in.. it only works properly when I jailbreak the phone and download the carrier bundle.

    Here's to hoping they roll out the new spectrum SOON

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,605
    Thanks
    2,654
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

    Wow. I had a 3G on prepay and yet this is the first in the US?! Weird.

  13. #13
    iPhoneaholic Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts

    CDMA? I'll pass. I wouldn't buy a phone where I could only use half of it at a time. "you can talk! ....or use Internet." "You can receive picture texts! ...oh but not while your on the phone. You have to hang up before you can download that picture I just sent you. "

  14. #14
    iPhoneaholic Greatbiguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    I'm not too familiar with Cricket but its worth looking into to find out more.
    That Straight Talk and Even T-Mobile Pre-Paid all sound like good options. I would be looking to use a GSM version but definitely worth looking into.
    Thanks for all this info everyone

  15. #15
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    CDMA? I'll pass. I wouldn't buy a phone where I could only use half of it at a time. "you can talk! ....or use Internet." "You can receive picture texts! ...oh but not while your on the phone. You have to hang up before you can download that picture I just sent you. "
    Actually CDMA can support talk and web at the same time, its up to the phone manufacture if they want to support that. So that's a fail on Apples part. The thunderbolt, LG Specturm all support talk and web at the same time on both the LTE and CDMA network.

  16. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone silent1643's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalty669 View Post
    Straight talk has supported sim card iPhones with its service for a while now. $30 for 1000 minutes 1000 texts and 30 mb of data. Or $45 for unlimited everything for a month.
    Not really unlimited with straight talk but good price however

  17. #17
    iPhoneaholic MXCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Wow. I had a 3G on prepay and yet this is the first in the US?! Weird.
    Now a days there's more then a hand full iPhone's on prepaid sim cards but no carrier has yet sold an
    iPhone with a prepaid plan, AT&T Verizon sprint all sell their iPhone's on 2 year plans. That's the point of this article...
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

  18. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,605
    Thanks
    2,654
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Now a days there's more then a hand full iPhone's on prepaid sim cards but no carrier has yet sold an
    iPhone with a prepaid plan, AT&T Verizon sprint all sell their iPhone's on 2 year plans. That's the point of this article...
    In the UK, carriers have been selling prepaid iPhones for years. That's the point of my earlier comment.....

  19. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    Actually CDMA can support talk and web at the same time, its up to the phone manufacture if they want to support that. So that's a fail on Apples part. The thunderbolt, LG Specturm all support talk and web at the same time on both the LTE and CDMA network.
    LTE and CDMA use two different antennas so voice + data is possible. Only CDMA cannot use voice + data.

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic MXCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    In the UK, carriers have been selling prepaid iPhones for years. That's the point of my earlier comment.....
    It's safe to say USA is behind then -.-
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts