+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] GoogleDaSH - A Dashboard X Widget You Can Google From

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Google is a valuable tool that many of us use on a daily basis, sometimes without even realizing it. It’s often considered the go-to Web browser site as well, since
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 735 Posts

Default [Review] GoogleDaSH - A Dashboard X Widget You Can Google From

Google is a valuable tool that many of us use on a daily basis, sometimes without even realizing it. It’s often considered the go-to Web browser site as well, since it’s such a popular search engine. Now, with a free Dashboard X widget dubbed GoogleDaSH by iOS developer iMokhles, you can search Google from your home screen or from Dashboard X’s Activator-based interface. Unfortunately, the widget is not a Notification Center widget, so while the widget may appear to be free at a first glance, you will still need to purchase Ori Kadosh's Dashboard X jailbreak tweak to use it.

GoogleDaSH is easily enabled and disabled by invoking Dashboard X’s add or remove widget functionality. After you install GoogleDaSH, you can hold down on an empty part of your home screen to enter jiggle mode and then hold down on an empty part of your home screen once more to bring up a list of available widgets from which you will see GoogleDaSH. Once you tap on it, it will appear on your home screen.

The widget is simply a transparent bar. Tapping on it will bring up the iOS keyboard and allow you to type in your query, which will be sent through Google using Mobile Safari. As soon as you tap the return key, Mobile Safari will load up with your query loaded up with Google’s search result.

GoogleDaSH has no options to configure and it requires iOS 5 to install. To be happy with the widget, you will have to be a frequent Google user and be able to put up with the rather simplistic design of the widget. Since it’s free, you can give it a try and see if it goes along nicely with your iOS device!

Name: GoogleDaSH
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5, Dashboard X
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: iMokhles
    Editor's Rating: / 2.5/5

Sources: iMokhles

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Still wondering if I want to fork out the 2 bucks for dashboard x. Does it use a lot of resources? That's why I'm afraid of buying it

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 735 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Does it use a lot of resources?
    Not really.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Still wondering if I want to fork out the 2 bucks for dashboard x. Does it use a lot of resources? That's why I'm afraid of buying it
    I use Dashboard X, bought it not long after it came out. It's amazing. My iPod experiences NO lag from it, which is amazing. I would recommend you buy it

iPhone? More like MyPhone gotzaiPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

It's really an awesome tweak! Your apps running in the background takes up more memory than dashboard X.

Thanks

Been wanting to buy it also

Do the widgets they offer cost money also

Green Apple
    Thanks
    basically all notification center widgets work and I don't think any of the current widgets cost money

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GoogleDaSH not searchable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtpl View Post
    I use Dashboard X, bought it not long after it came out. It's amazing. My iPod experiences NO lag from it, which is amazing. I would recommend you buy it
    Hi guys,

I have successfully installed Dashboard X onto my home screen, however wen I go to add widgets a pop up appears to open Cydia. Upon doing this, and subsequently searching for GoogleDaSH (and any other combination of words that may yield results) but there's nothing in my results field?

I have the BigBoos repo, but am at a loss as to how to proceed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Adam

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    Been wanting to buy it also

Do the widgets they offer cost money also
    A few widgets are at a cost, however the majority are free. Weetrackdata pro is one tweak that costs.

What's Jailbreak? StarrMatthieu's Avatar
    Thanks

Good job!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Not really.
    Alright thanks

Thanks

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_La_Adam View Post
    Hi guys,

I have successfully installed Dashboard X onto my home screen, however wen I go to add widgets a pop up appears to open Cydia. Upon doing this, and subsequently searching for GoogleDaSH (and any other combination of words that may yield results) but there's nothing in my results field?

I have the BigBoos repo, but am at a loss as to how to proceed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Adam
    I had the same problem, delete ur bigboss source and add it again through the sources menus from the home page of cydia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default save your money
    Save your money and DO NOT buy this. My phone used to NEVER crash, and after I installed Dashboard X and started using it, my phone started crashing all the time. iPhone 4s iOS 5.0.1. No response from developers. Latest update, still no fixes. I have wasted too much of my time on this app, and I hope others learn from my mistake and stay away from this app until it matures. Who knows when that will be.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    **Mod edit: warez indication edited, quote removed.**
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk4Jesus View Post
    Save your money and DO NOT buy this. My phone used to NEVER crash, and after I installed Dashboard X and started using it, my phone started crashing all the time. iPhone 4s iOS 5.0.1. No response from developers. Latest update, still no fixes. I have wasted too much of my time on this app, and I hope others learn from my mistake and stay away from this app until it matures. Who knows when that will be.
    It works fine, must only be an issue with you. Myself and many others have it working flawlessly. Unless of course you pirated it.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 05-30-2012 at 01:43 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good idea but My Favorite the "Dashboard X" tweak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cristian_12_ View Post
    Good idea but My Favorite the "Dashboard X" tweak.
    This is a widget for dashboard x

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

**Mod edit: warez indication edited, quote removed.**

It works fine, must only be an issue with you. Myself and many others have it working flawlessly. Unless of course you pirated it.
    Not pirated at all. I pay for everything that costs. I paid for Dashboard X which I am unable to use. I supported the dev's hard work. Must be another Cydia app I have that it doesn't play well with Dashboard X. Interesting. Thanks for letting me know about your success with it.
    Last edited by kbk4Jesus; 05-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.