+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ten Great Jailbreak Tweaks for the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
BiteSMS should be on that list..
    Green Apple
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njosnavelin View Post
    Zephyr was quite a heavily anticipated tweak at the time of its release and its 2.99 price was well known. I believe chpwn only upped the price within the last month (with the 1.3 update) but price changes are not usually relayed to existing customers ( la the Appstore). No need to be a jerk, buddy. Bouchard has written a great article here.
    This is reporting, not posting on a random user board. Was it a great article, yes. Is it worthy of the front page, yes. However, it's still reporting, and when reporting, facts and info need to be checked. If your nightly news reported a story with all the wrong facts you wouldn't say, it's ok, I like this channel would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You'll have to excuse me. The Zephyr page no longer shows the price of the tweak after you own it. At the time I wrote a review on the tweak, it did cost $2.99. Chpwn must have upped the price.
    I wasn't trying to be a ****. I was going to purchase the tweak until I saw the price. I was extremely disappointed to say the least. 4.99 is to much.
    Last edited by mustard05; 05-29-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    People complaining about shelling out FIVE WHOLE BUCKS (WOAH!) to support a developer and (above all) get some neat added functionality on their expensive piece of mobile computing and communications device.

I wonder how much these people charge/get for their working hour.

Say you get 10 tweaks for 5 bucks each.
    How many hours did you have to work to afford this insane amount of dough ?
    Now, how many hours do you think go into MAKING and SUPPORTING a computer program ?

Some think they're entitled to everything for free.
    Those should take a look at how much of their own time is spent doing unpaid labor for others.
    Or maybe examine how they would feel if the already cheaply-priced product of their hard work was just taken from them against their will, leaving them without any compensation.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    People complaining about shelling out FIVE WHOLE BUCKS (WOAH!) to support a developer and (above all) get some neat added functionality on their expensive piece of mobile computing and communications device.

I wonder how much these people charge/get for their working hour.

Say you get 10 tweaks for 5 bucks each.
    How many hours did you have to work to afford this insane amount of dough ?
    Now, how many hours do you think go into MAKING and SUPPORTING a computer program ?

Some think they're entitled to everything for free.
    Those should take a look at how much of their own time is spent doing unpaid labor for others.
    Or maybe examine how they would feel if the already cheaply-priced product of their hard work was just taken from them against their will, leaving them without any compensation.
    Your rant would almost be valid, except the App store is filled with Apps that have major hours of research and development, and still avail for 99 cents, from which Apple takes 30%. Don't fool yourself, greed is greed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Your rant would almost be valid, except the App store is filled with Apps that have major hours of research and development, and still avail for 99 cents, from which Apple takes 30%. Don't fool yourself, greed is greed.
    The true story.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My #1: Activator + Your Brain. I hate it when I see a tweak for sale that accomplishes the same thing you could do with Activator. Go fiddle around with the settings! You'll love it!

I think a quick SMS tweak should be included somewhere in the list. I've been using Bite since iOS5 released.

Good list!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Callbar would be worth the $4 if the support for it wasn't horrible. The worst I have dealt with for any of my tweaks. I've had better support with free ones.

Thanks

Is anyone having problems with aloud (besides me and Anarchy23)? It just doesn't work.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A New DAY View Post
    *SIGH* I remember the good old days before devs started charging stupid amounts for mediocre TWEAKS (not even apps)... $3 for something like Barrel? Give me a break.
    Exactly.
    Jailbreak is free, cydia is free so why charge for tweaks? All they are doing is making money off jailbreaking and something that should be free.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    the jailbreak apps are definitely overpriced. I'm not trying to say I undervalue the programmer's efforts, but if these apps were available legitimately via the app store, you would never get more than .99 for most of these apps (especially Barrel, Callbar, etc.).

Full-blown apps in the app store with mass amounts of functionality by indie developers have been made free, but small tweaks through cydia cost as much as 4 regular full applications. It's kind of ridiculous when you look at it that way. If a programmer wants to make money, perhaps they should look into building a suite of tweaks. There is no reason an app from Cydia's store can't feature the functionality of Barrel, Callbar, Aloud, iFile, etc. for $10. You'd get a huge user-base because it's all in one tidy app that people don't have to go out in search of.
    There's not as much competition on Cydia. Cydia apps rely on jailbroken devices, which means your consumer pool is considerably smaller (and a large percentage of them jailbreak for piracy).

This means that Cydia Store apps don't make nearly as much as some of the better apps on the App Store.

Creating an all-in-one app is NOT easy, seeing how most Cydia devs develop their apps in their spare time.

Also, the major flaw with All-In-One apps is that you end up paying for features you don't/ won't/ wouldn't use. Say iFile is bundles with Barrel for $10, but you don't use barrel - that's $5 more for unused functionality.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Don't like don't buy.... your made up problem is solved.
    If I didn't like it I wouldn't be complaining about the price, wise one. It's just stupid in my mind to waste $3 on something like this that may or may not work in a few weeks when there's a new update versus an actually quality $3 app on the App Store.

[QUOTE=TheDirtyDiddler;6546424]
    Quote Originally Posted by A New DAY View Post
    *SIGH* I remember the good old days before devs started charging stupid amounts for mediocre TWEAKS (not even apps)... $3 for something like Barrel? Give me a break. QUOTE]

ZOMG THREE DOLLAS!!!!11
    An order of McNuggets it soooo much more worth it!
    Well, captain **mod edit: language**, no... But a $3 app on the App Store is 999 times out of 1000 more worth it than a $3 'tweak'. It's turning into a minimum investment of at least $20 to fully customize your jailbroken device with all of these mediocre 'tweaks'.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 05-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

why no NCsettings?! Also, these posts should be organized such that most recent is first.... that's just common sense web design 101.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    the jailbreak apps are definitely overpriced. I'm not trying to say I undervalue the programmer's efforts, but if these apps were available legitimately via the app store, you would never get more than .99 for most of these apps (especially Barrel, Callbar, etc.).

Full-blown apps in the app store with mass amounts of functionality by indie developers have been made free, but small tweaks through cydia cost as much as 4 regular full applications. It's kind of ridiculous when you look at it that way. If a programmer wants to make money, perhaps they should look into building a suite of tweaks. There is no reason an app from Cydia's store can't feature the functionality of Barrel, Callbar, Aloud, iFile, etc. for $10. You'd get a huge user-base because it's all in one tidy app that people don't have to go out in search of.
    You make a damn good point. .99 cents for something like Callbar and I would be more likely to buy it. And for the people saying ZOMG $3 dollars. Ya just 1 tweak, and then another, and then another, they add up bro, I probably have well over a 100 dollars in apps and tweaks combined from the APP store and from CYDIA and what sux is there is no way to get your money back if you dont like the tweak. There are several I have bought and paid for and dont even have them installed either cuz they are glitchy or not supported on the new firmware cuz of a lazy dev that does not update their app like they should. (John Heaton).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    You make a damn good point. .99 cents for something like Callbar and I would be more likely to buy it. And for the people saying ZOMG $3 dollars. Ya just 1 tweak, and then another, and then another, they add up bro, I probably have well over a 100 dollars in apps and tweaks combined from the APP store and from CYDIA and what sux is there is no way to get your money back if you dont like the tweak. There are several I have bought and paid for and dont even have them installed either cuz they are glitchy or not supported on the new firmware cuz of a lazy dev that does not update their app like they should. (John Heaton).
    Exactly, one example is MyStrings.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtmf View Post
    Exactly, one example is MyStrings.
    Exactly! Don't buy any tweaks from John Heaton. IE locktopus.

What's Jailbreak? Michelle Ahern's Avatar
    Thanks

Since jail breaking and updating to 5.1.1, I am on Verizon. My status bar has 4g instead of 3G icon why is this. I tried every app out there to replace but 4g won't go away.anyone else have this issue? I thought only happened to AT&T iPhone 4s.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I second this comment
    Quote Originally Posted by hudss View Post
    Agreed and seconded!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't use either anymore but perpage HTML and winterboard would probably be in the top 15 I guess. Oh and lockinfo or dashboard X.

Thanks

Please ban all those 99%'s. Bunch of lazy, good for nothing complainers that want everything for free. They have no clue the amount of work that goes into creating an app, or much less what it takes to actually have a job. Vote for Obama again and he'll make all apps free.
    LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Ahern View Post
    Since jail breaking and updating to 5.1.1, I am on Verizon. My status bar has 4g instead of 3G icon why is this. I tried every app out there to replace but 4g won't go away.anyone else have this issue? I thought only happened to AT&T iPhone 4s.
    Wrong thread
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide