+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Black Icon Labels - Change All App Labels to Black Instead of White

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Yet another non-customizable feature of iOS is the ability to change the color of the labels that accompany every application icon on your home screen. Whether on the home screen,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Black Icon Labels - Change All App Labels to Black Instead of White

Yet another non-customizable feature of iOS is the ability to change the color of the labels that accompany every application icon on your home screen. Whether on the home screen, on the dock, or inside of a folder, all of the application icon labels are white with a semi-dark shadowing behind them. A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Black Icon Labels by iOS developer Bradley Friedman will change the color of these application icon labels to black and disable the shadowing.

Black Icon Labels is simple in that it changes the application labels to black without having any customization options to configure. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on your observational view on the matter. On the good side of the plate, it’s less to worry about and you can simply decide whether you want white or black application icon labels. On the bad side of the plate, people generally like customization options such as the ability to choose their own colors or to enable and disable the tweak on demand.

For certain lighter-colored wallpapers, the black application icon labels pop out at you. It’s important to choose a wallpaper that will look good with the black application icon labels, otherwise the application icon labels will be difficult to read. For very light wallpapers, Apple’s white application icon labels with the semi-dark shadowing don’t really look too hot either.

The tweak doesn’t offer any necessarily helpful functionality, as the changes are all cosmetic and not functional. As there are no options to configure, the only way to disable the tweak is to uninstall it from Cydia. If you like the idea of having these black-colored application icon labels, then you will find Black Icon Labels in Cydia from the BigBoss repository for free. Be sure to give it a try!

Name: Black Icon Labels
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Bradley Friedman
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Bradley Friedman

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

There's many free tweaks that allow you to change the labels to like any color. Custom color for example

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Pretty useless ****... It would have took the Developer just a few more lines of Code to make a fully customizable Tweak...
    Last edited by rud0lf77; 05-28-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

How is this even worth a review? We themers have been changing label colors for ages to fit our themes!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rud0lf77 View Post
    Pretty useless ****... It would have took the Developer just a few more lines of Code to make a fully customizable Tweak...
    It would have taken you a few more IQ points to realize it should be "taken" instead of took.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does this have a 3 apple review?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

This review is kind of a slap in the face to themers. We don't get any front page publicity at all. But this "tweak" deserves one for something we have been doing for years now?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,674 Times in 2,383 Posts

The developer of this tweak as well as the reviewer must be new to jailbreak. Well that's understandable...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Why in the world would you wanna remove the drop shadow. Takes all depth away and looks flat as a pancake. Graphically speaking this is retarded.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I love winterboard. Just felt like I needed to say that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 695 Posts

FREE what else do you wont

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    It would have taken you a few more IQ points to realize it should be "taken" instead of took.
    I am German, you Idiot... I guess your IQ is lower than 55...