+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] NoCameraGrabber - Disable the iOS 5.1.1 Camera Grabber

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
While many people have updated to iOS 5.1.1 due to the recently updated Absinthe jailbreak tool , not everyone has taken kindly to the new Camera Grabber functionality of iOS
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] NoCameraGrabber - Disable the iOS 5.1.1 Camera Grabber

While many people have updated to iOS 5.1.1 due to the recently updated Absinthe jailbreak tool, not everyone has taken kindly to the new Camera Grabber functionality of iOS 5.1 and iOS 5.1.1. A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed NoCameraGrabber by iOS developer Hiraku is now available in Cydia and will disable the Camera Grabber from the lock screen. However, it does seem to have adverse side effects as made obvious by the screenshots above…

Functionally, the tweak correctly disables your ability to use the Camera Grabber from the lock screen. This can be a good thing because the Camera Grabber, in contrast to the lock screen camera button of iOS 5.0.1 and iOS 5.0, can be easily used by mistake and launch the Camera application when you didn’t really mean to. Unfortunately, it seems to cause a conflict with the slide to unlock bar.

The conflict hides the entire background of the slide to unlock bar, however leaves a goofy square outline around the slide to unlock bar. The problem seemed to be prevalent on more than one device that we tested it on, so it probably wasn’t a tweak conflict.

NoCameraGrabber has no options to configure and is a simple install-and-use tweak that you will need to uninstall to disable. The tweak was created with good intentions of allowing users to disable a potentially disliked feature, however right now it needs some improvements on the graphical user interface. Functionally, the tweak could be feasibly enjoyed by those that don't look too close to details and just want to disable that pesky Camera Grabber.

If you're unhappy with the Camera Grabber, it could be a better idea to simply install a free jailbreak tweak like Redire, which at least gives you the iOS 5.0 and iOS 5.0.1 camera button back instead of the iOS 5.1 and iOS 5.1.1 Camera Grabber. Redire also doesn't cause these adverse lock screen effects. If you’re unhappy with the end results, the good news is that it’s free and you won’t be out any money.

Name: NoCameraGrabber
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5.1+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Hiraku
    Editor's Rating:  1/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-28-2012 at 01:45 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

no lockscreen camera

Thanks
    Yep, No Lockscreen Camera is the way to go. I use it. Works great and doesn't mess up your lockscreen.

No Lockscreen Camera ftw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    no lockscreen camera
    i was just about say no lockscreen camera is better as it dont like that damn *** bos on the end
    cydia.myrepospace.com/AngryPIG/

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you add a clear image 1x104 pixels named CamaraGraber@2x~iphone to the Springboard.app folder along with this tweak it make the locks teen the way it was pre 5.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    no lockscreen camera
    +1

The program written about in this article looks HORRIBLE. No Lockscreen Camera makes the button go away and restores the slider to its proper length.
    Hmm...

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Why get rid of something that is not only super useful, but also causes no inconvenience whatsoever by being there?

Thanks

"Why get rid of something that is not only super useful, but also causes no inconvenience whatsoever by being there?"

Because it looks ugly that's why.

It's appearance on MY iphone inconveniences my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    If you add a clear image 1x104 pixels named CamaraGraber@2x~iphone to the Springboard.app folder along with this tweak it make the locks teen the way it was pre 5.1
    This method doesn't work. I just did it. Even making the graphic 1x1 doesn't help because the gap where the icon was is still there when you switch out the pngs.. You don't need both, you just need No Lockscreen Camera.
    Last edited by exNavy; 05-28-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Hmm...

Thanks

What's the name of the tweak that changes it back to the camera button again?

Never mind, found it. Redire.
    Last edited by Aehmlo; 05-28-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks

Seriously? I made a little transparent image and put it in my theme and, poof, camera icon is gone. Took 3 minutes, including Photoshop. CameraGrabber@2x~iphone.png, 104x60@72, put it in Bundles>com.apple.springboard, respring, totally transparent.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 717 Posts

that before and after ss look bad

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would you even review this POS when it leaves your lockscreen looking glitched?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"Why get rid of something that is not only super useful, but also causes no inconvenience whatsoever by being there?"

My exact thoughts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Why would you even review this POS when it leaves your lockscreen looking glitched?
    1+ that looks horrible