+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Patent Troll SimpleAir Reaches Settlement With Apple and Ten Other Companies

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Patent troll SimpoleAir settled a patent dispute between Apple and a number of technology companies with a licensing agreement ensuring the trolls will continue to abuse patents for financial gain
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Patent Troll SimpleAir Reaches Settlement With Apple and Ten Other Companies

Patent troll SimpoleAir settled a patent dispute between Apple and a number of technology companies with a licensing agreement ensuring the trolls will continue to abuse patents for financial gain whenever possible.

SimpleAir released a statement today claiming it had settled its patent dispute with Apple and entered into a confidential agreement to license its patents to Apple. The patents in question relate to mobile notifications, and have been at the heart of the suit first levied against Apple and 10 other companies by SimpleAir in September, 2009.

According to court filings dated April 21, 2012 SimpleAir reached settlement agreements with all the parties involved for patents 6,021,433, 7,035,914, 6,735,614, and 6,167,426. The first two patents are both entitled "System and Method for Transmission of Data," and the following two are entitled "Contact Alerts for Unconnected Users." SimpleAir’s complaint claimed Apple and the other companies were infringing on "generation, processing, and/or delivery of content, notifications, and updates to or for mobile computing devices," found in the patents.

SimpleAir literally is a patent troll. The company is known as a “non practicing entity” or NPE. This title means that SimpleAir has no other business outside of hoarding and licensing patents. The company, based in Texas, is currently engaged in a separate suit with Microsoft Motorola, Samsung, and a number of others involving the same patents. The case is ongoing, but if the Apple ruling is any indication SimpleAir might be in for more SimpleProfits.

Source: CNET

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow these guys are some major ********.
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks

I'd have to say its a pretty smart buisness

Thanks

I agree with both of you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't resist posting this

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Wow these guys are some major ********.
    Apple owns a ton of patents (that they probably never intend on acting on) so are they any different?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Apple owns a ton of patents (that they probably never intend on acting on) so are they any different?
    Exactly. Apple is sueing Samsung because Samsung's phone is rectangular in shape. Apple is just as big if not bigger of a troll than SimpleAir.

Thanks

Lol "literally is a patent troll."

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

Yes! There a company that make devices/consumer goods. The other company does nothing but file paperwork for patents.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Yes! There a company that make devices/consumer goods. The other company does nothing but file paperwork for patents.
    Yes, apple owns thousands of patents they did not submit, they simply bought them off another company. Again, what makes them better than this so called patent troll?

I bet they will defend the patents they own (if they submitted it to the patent office or not) so why can't any company do the same?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Key word is "probably". The difference is that Apple may use them in future devices if the need arises. Patent trolls will never apply those patents into anything, guaranteed! Apple, from what I've read, usually wants patent infringing parties to stop selling their devices. Patent trolls wants them to sell more devices because they make money on licensing fees. if all the companies tries to work around these patents, these trolls would not exist (no licensing monies).

I really don't see why patents can't have a expiration date of like 5 years or something. If the patent is not applied or implimented to a product/software, in other words, not being used, then it's up for grabs or will be nulled.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Theirs a difference between child like actions and patent trolling. Apple gets patents for preventing getting sued. Sure they sue others but all companies do. The other company however buy patents simply to sue. It's a company that makes profit by suing

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Key word is "probably". The difference is that Apple may use them in future devices if the need arises. Patent trolls will never apply those patents into anything, guaranteed! Apple, from what I've read, usually wants patent infringing parties to stop selling their devices. Patent trolls wants them to sell more devices because they make money on licensing fees. if all the companies tries to work around these patents, these trolls would not exist (no licensing monies).

I really don't see why patents can't have a expiration date of like 5 years or something. If the patent is not applied or implimented to a product/software, in other words, not being used, then it's up for grabs or will be nulled.
    Well said thank you!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Whether someone invests in a patent through their own R&D or pays someone else for their R&D (through simple purchase), they're entitled to protect that investment.
    If developers couldn't protect their hard work, they'd lose any financial incentive for doing it in the first place.
    Someone should tell the anti-patent lobby that Communism has had its day.

The issue of Apple trying to patent shapes, letters, movements and reality itself is a separate one on which the US Patent Office needs to get a freaking grip.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneThereforeIAm For This Useful Post:

alanjf (05-25-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    While I mostly agree with you, the question I have to ask is, can you say for certain what SimpleAir's might really be, that they have no interest what do ever in putting those patents to use somewhere down the line? I think it's easy to just label something or someone a troll (band wagon syndrome) , which out really knowing all of the facts.

I thought there was an expiration, just that it's way too long, or perhaps I'm thinking of copyright.