+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Unleash Stylish iOS Stylus

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Is Apple finally traveling down the stylus road? That could be the case according to new published reports this week. Of course, if you're expecting something of a traditional variety,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple May Unleash Stylish iOS Stylus

Is Apple finally traveling down the stylus road? That could be the case according to new published reports this week. Of course, if you're expecting something of a traditional variety, then you don't know Apple very well.

Our friends at Apple Insider have discovered a patent application straight out of Cupertino that suggests
    Apple is tinkering with technology related to styluses that could be used with the iPhone and iPad. The explorations by Apple even include an optical stylus and a handheld pointer with haptic feedback.

"One embodiment of a haptic input device may include a receiver configured to receive a signal from a touch-based user interface device," the patent application reads. "The signal may include a control signal or a look-up value. The haptic input device may also include a decoder coupled to the receiver and configured to decode the signal from the touch-based user interface device, at least one sensor configured to determine at least one characteristic of the haptic input device, a controller coupled to the one or more sensors and configured to transmit a control signal, a haptic actuator coupled to the controller, and a transmitter coupled to the at least one sensor."

In recent years, Apple has been bombarded with a hefty mixture of praise and criticism for not releasing styluses to go with the company's leading iDevices. Although these patents don't confirm that Apple will use any of these technologies, one thing is for certain: don't count on Apple releasing any old fashioned plastic stylus. If Apple moves forward, you can expect a high-end stylus like nothing you've ever seen before.

Source: Apple Insider

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Not iPhone but probably to use with upcoming iPad so you can write super accurately and draw on it.
    Jobs despised the stylus for the iPhone, I hope Apple don't f**k up without Jobs overseeing what's good and what isn't.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

5 finger stylus glove a la Freddy Krueger?

Thanks

Stylish stylus. Lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It'll be so "high-end" it'll probably end up being overpriced as are many apple devices, though I love them :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Not iPhone but probably to use with upcoming iPad so you can write super accurately and draw on it.
    Jobs despised the stylus for the iPhone, I hope Apple don't f**k up without Jobs overseeing what's good and what isn't.
    Not quite accurate. He hated Microsoft's concept where in order to use a tablet you had to use with a stylus. And that's different than allowing a stylus to be used on your tablet whenever you need it.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe this will be for that 7 inch tablet they're working on.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Try saying stylish stylus ten times fast.
    I hope apple doesn't go down the stylus route. I thought society was trying to move away from the stylus?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

No

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I hope apple doesn't go down the stylus route. I thought society was trying to move away from the stylus?
    Considering how well the Galaxy Note is selling i doubt people will move away from it. But I can see Apple trying to sue everyone else that uses a stylus. Apple will advertise it as "magical" and "revolutionary" lol then all the apple fanboys will start bashing on the Galaxy Note for "stealing" the stylus

Thanks

And then your alarm will go off and you'll wake up and get ready for work.

Thanks

I hope they don't call it iStylus
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

iPen?
    iScribe?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I'd use it in college all the time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    You know what's good and what isn't? Look at your red font for example. j/k

Samsung Note is quite a nice device with a stylus. I think Apple sees the potential in that.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    "Of course, if you're expecting something of a traditional variety, then you don't know Apple very well."

Yeah...it will cost $79, require needlessly-complicated syncing through iTunes, have bizarre restrictions on what it can and can't do, and its patents will include "having a pointy end" and "used to make swiping, writing, drawing, or tapping movements".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Considering how well the Galaxy Note is selling i doubt people will move away from it. But I can see Apple trying to sue everyone else that uses a stylus. Apple will advertise it as "magical" and "revolutionary" lol then all the apple fanboys will start bashing on the Galaxy Note for "stealing" the stylus

Pretty sure the galaxy note commercial I saw advertised there stylus as revolutionary or something like that. Lmao

Thanks

My only beef with a stylus is when it is lost. You become accustomed/dependent on it and then poof..lost! I'll use my fingers as I always have..they don't seem to get lost haha!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    5 finger stylus glove a la Freddy Krueger?
    Cooooool....

Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    "Of course, if you're expecting something of a traditional variety, then you don't know Apple very well."

Yeah...it will cost $79, require needlessly-complicated syncing through iTunes, have bizarre restrictions on what it can and can't do, and its patents will include "having a pointy end" and "used to make swiping, writing, drawing, or tapping movements".
    Lmao! Sad but believable... And that's coming from a proud Apple fanboy! lol
    Last edited by Breezy215; 05-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

The only ridiculous thing about Apple releasing a stylus, I think, is that they will release it as if they are the first people to ever think of such a thing.