+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Claims Next iPhone Will Have Larger 16:9 Screen

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Rumors of a larger iPhone display refuse to die and like most urban legends have little actual evidence to support their legitimacy. That said, another display rumor has surfaced claiming
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Report Claims Next iPhone Will Have Larger 16:9 Screen

Rumors of a larger iPhone display refuse to die and like most urban legends have little actual evidence to support their legitimacy. That said, another display rumor has surfaced claiming Apple is currently testing two new prototypes of the next generation iPhone.

While it’s not a huge revelation that Apple is testing one of their products before it’s released, the screens of the prototype iPhones reportedly feature a vertical resolution of 1136 pixels, up from the current generation's 960 pixels. The increased resolution also increases the diagonal height of the phone to 3.95 inches, feeding into rumors of a 4-inch display.

These prototype phones are floating around Apple HQ in thick, locked shells in order to disguise the exterior design to “undisclosed” employees. We know of two next-generation iPhones in testing with a larger display: the iPhone 5,1 and iPhone 5,2. These phones are in the PreEVT stage of development and are codenamed N41AP (5,1) and N42AP (5,2). Because Apple reserves certain models for internal-only usage (such as the N96 phone we previously reported on), we’re not sure which of the two devices will make its way into the world later this year. — 9to5Mac
    Apparently the iOS 6 will take advantage of the taller screens by adding support of an extra row of icons. Also, the new resolution puts the iPhone’s screen aspect ratio very close to 16:9, which would mean native support for 16:9 videos.

I don’t doubt Apple employees are testing cloaked devices on the Cupertino campus, but I do doubt that Apple plans on implementing a 16:9 screen ratio in their next phone. It’ll make the device awkwardly long, creat problems for developers and non-16:9 content, as well as kill the scaling ease of the 4:3 iPad screen and the 3:2 iPhone screen.

Source: 9to5Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

That looks hideous! I hope like hell apple doesn't make that mistake, but that's only my opinion. To each their own.

Thanks

i think to make the bigger screen work they need to make it wider

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, "the rumors of a larger iPhone display refuse to die" because you guys refuse to stop writing about it! Dont bash the rumor mill when you are one of its biggest facilitators.

Thanks

I think Apple will have a good design. It did a very good job with the iPhone 4 in my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am all for it. If they keep the pixel density and width the top or btm added space can be used for iOS stuff when running older apps saving devs from redoing layouts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

argh!!!!! iick!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

I highly doubt Apple will be testing anything when the release date is around Fall. Seems too close and I would imagine they already know what hardware is going to be used. Just a matter of getting parts together now and made.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    I highly doubt Apple will be testing anything when the release date is around Fall. Seems too close and I would imagine they already know what hardware is going to be used. Just a matter of getting parts together now and made.
    I guess I assumed it would shown in June and released July?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPIG View Post
    i think to make the bigger screen work they need to make it wider
    I dont think its "horrible" looking. But I agree just a tad bit wider and a tad bit taller. The best of both worlds. no bigger than 4" I already have an iPad i dont need another tablet.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd really be ok if apple did away with the home button. Hell I think I would even be happy with the screen size remaining the same and the home button getting the boot. It serves no purpose that a soft button couldn't provide.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Bigger screen, less possibilities to lose it in the bar... so, no iPhone preview this year.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really like the idea of making the screen itself larger while keeping the phone the same, or nearly the same dimensions. Potentially making the home button smaller, and the display all the way to the edge. That sounds more like an apple idea than that awkwardly long and thin thing. :b

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I'd really be ok if apple did away with the home button. Hell I think I would even be happy with the screen size remaining the same and the home button getting the boot. It serves no purpose that a soft button couldn't provide.
    you mean you dont want a Galaxy Note? HAHAHAHAHA
    cydia.myrepospace.com/AngryPIG/

Thanks

Good to bring up Camera and music controls.

Thanks

If the screen's going to be made larger why would it be done in only one direction? They would dilate it, it would make more sense and it wouldn't look awkward.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

According to FlipBoard they is an article mentioning a leaked iPod touch fifth gen screen which measures up to 4.1 inches. If this is real I bet the iPhone will be the same size.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I totally called this four days ago:
    Why a 4 inch iPhone screen isn’t as Big as You Think.

As my article above states, the actual width of a 4" iphone screen @ 16:9 aspect ratio will only change from 1.94 to 1.96 inches, only a 1% difference. the new iphone WONT get any wider, just taller.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

this is one rumor that i can 100% say this f****** B******* i can see the next iphone have a larger screen but i cant see it being a new aspect ratio for at least the next 4 years. it wouldn't make sense for them to do this it will instantly mess up the thousands of apps on the app store. until apple make a SDK that automatically places buttons and code X amount from X so scaling becomes super easy, this will never happen

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The trouble with a soft home-button is that it provides no means of waking the phone up - so you're down to the lockscreen button ... a major PITA compared to the Homie.
    Touchscreens are enough of a PITA as it is.
    Manufs need to be adding physical controls not removing them.
    An iPhone with three physical buttons would be freaking awesome (say two slightly smaller ones either side of the existing home button) ... or maybe a D-pad.

As this mock-up shows, it's not just screen diagonals that matter, but square acreage.
    The Sony Arc has a rather narrow screen, which is fairly unrewarding - but the Samsung GNote screen is wide aswell as large ... which gives it a truly panoramic feel.
    Narrow screens just feel like looking through a door left ajar ... actually rather frustrating.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 05-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.