Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ITC Dismisses Kodak's Patent Infringement Case Against RIM and Apple... Again

Default ITC Dismisses Kodak's Patent Infringement Case Against RIM and Apple... Again

Apple and Koda once partnered to produce the first consumer digital camera the "Quicktake 100."

The International Trade Communion ruled in favor of Apple and RIM in a patent dispute with Kodak.

Administrative Judge Thomas Render reaffirmed a decision made last year stating that Apple’s and RIM’s image preview functions did not infringe on patents held by Kodak.

"I hereby reaffirm on remand that no violation of Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended, has been found in the importation into the United States, the sale for importation, or the sale within the United States after importation of certain mobile telephones and wireless communication devices featuring digital cameras, and components thereof, in connection with claim 15 of U.S. Patent No. 6,292,218." — Judge Thomas
    While Thomas’s decision could possibly absolve Apple and RIM from any legal and financial damage, he did note that both companies’ preview functions were infringing on Kodak’s intellectual property. However, he also decided Kodak’s claim was invalid because the technology it protected was “obvious.”

The ruling still needs to be approved by the full ITC panel and could potentially be reversed, but it looks like Kodak’s hopes of milking their patent library during their bankruptcy proceedings is becoming increasingly meek.

Source: CNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I'd be happy to refer you guys to a reputable copy editor who will review article submissions before they're posted. The decrease in writing quality on this otherwise very helpful site is a little disappointing of late.

Wow, so this judge dismisses it because its "obvious" and yet so many obvious things have stood up in favor of Apple suing others. Apple sure does deep pockets. I mean, if a rectangular shape isn't one of those obvious things, I have no idea what is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Wow, so this judge dismisses it because its "obvious" and yet so many obvious things have stood up in favor of Apple suing others. Apple sure does deep pockets. I mean, if a rectangular shape isn't one of those obvious things, I have no idea what is.
    There are things that are "obvious" after seeing it done and there are things that are obvious because it's the first thing that pops into your mind... like you know... wanting to see a picture after you take it.

Go look up tablet computers before the iPad and come back after you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    There are things that are "obvious" after seeing it done and there are things that are obvious because it's the first thing that pops into your mind... like you know... wanting to see a picture after you take it.

Go look up tablet computers before the iPad and come back after you are done.
    I was thinking of things more like pinch to zoom which was demoed many times on multi tough surfaces before iOS ever existed. How about the color black on a phone. How about a touch screen phone. Palm had those way before. Using a method like swipe to unlock on a device with no buttons to prevent pocket dialing. Hell, even that was around before iOS. How about touching a phone number in an e-mail and the dialer coming up. Sorry, but all these things are common sense obvious things and yet they have managed to get them defended but when another company does it, its piss off, its too obvious.