Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iPhone Charger More Sophisticated Than You Might Expect

If it were a picture of a cow i'd still read it!

Thanks

i miss the cable with the lock where you had to squeeze to unplug

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Let's try to stay on topic here rather than finding things to say about what the article is lacking, or how it was executed. Try talking about how you feel about the topic at hand here: Do you appreciate your iDevice charger and is it indeed "more sophisticated than you'd expect?"

On topic: I've had many knock-off generic cables (always use the original outlet head though) and those break within weeks. Tried a Belkin and an iLuv from the store, also didn't last. I tried these because my original Apple cable broke after years of use. Went back to using the original. The cables have changed since the first iDevices (they've improved greatly). The ones I have now don't do that annoying thing where the cables start to get exposed because the outer portions start sliding down (from the actual end that plugs into the iDevice).

This article has a lot of fluff and minimal detail.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not a fan of the material they use for the outside coating of their charging cables. It breaks easily, becomes dirty and has to be often replaced because the inner cabling starts showing through.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, all the cables I've had have been used properly. I had one in my car to use through the USB port so I could use my iPod which eventually became torn. The others I've had were all torn as well from normal wear and tear.

I have one now from belkin seems to be made out of heavy duty plastic material and is doing well. I wish Apple would use better material for their charging cables, including their headphones which are complete garbage.

Thanks

"So with better quality and more expensive parts than most smartphone and tablet chargers on the market today, the new teardown is perhaps making some iDevice users more appreciative about the gadget's design and a little better about how much they may have paid for an iPhone charger at one time"

There is something wrong with this sentence, it made my head hurt

How can you make I device users a little better about how much they may have paid?

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    i miss thRe cable with the lock where ayou had to squeeze to unplug
    I feel just the opposite, I hated those cables. My friend had one and I almost ripped the dock right out of my phone before I realized what was going on
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 05-21-2012 at 11:10 PM.

my $1 charger off ebay works like wonder for the past year.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmski View Post
    Cheers for that insightful rant, just assuring you that I take very good care of my phone,

And simply googling iPhone cable breaks easily I am instantly reassured that I'm not the only person to find out how shoddy iPhone cables are..

http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/m...-iphone-cable/
    Anything breaks easily when you abuse it. You even went the extra mile to google "iPhone cable breaks easily".......what a funny lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Not only is the article NOT about the cable, but the cable in the image looks to be 3rd party
    Could be first gen cable. I still have one that I use at work in case my phone dies at work. It had the side squeeze lock.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    I don't think it's irrelevant; in fact, I agree with him/her.
    It's a guy bro..... His name is Michael....

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Why read an article just to waste all of our time nit-picking an irrelevant point?
    Wow, you got your golden thinking cap on today booster.....

That cable isn't third party. I have one exactly like that that came with my iPod Classic from '07. It's just old. But it hasn't broken and there are no exposed wires. As long as you don't stress that part of the cable and constantly pull on the cable it self trying to remove it from your device, it shouldn't break. Just my two cents. Lol.

Thanks

haha! What is this article about again? We all know about the sync cable by now right?? haha! If you didn't know now you know I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    At least they didn't post an image from a cable that hasn't been made for 8 years... oh wait they are. There is a certain level of professionalism expected from a news site.
    Considering none of the writers for MMi are paid I think they do a damn good job. If you want higher quality writing then maybe you can convince the owner of mmi to make it a paid site so they can adequately compensate the writers.

So if the charger is that awesome, maybe that explains why my $1.50 monoprice car charger has a tough time with my iphone4. Charges for a little bit, then it says charger isn't supported or some bs. Then I unplug it and plug it back in and it charges for a minute and then back to not supported. Hmm if its not supported then it shouldn't fit the port at the bottom.

I do notice that it charges more regularly if GPS and Wifi are turned off. Less current draw perhaps? That's my guess.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The iPhone cables are shoddily made, no matter how you cut it. The point between the phone connector and where the cable begins are very weak. When you are charging your iProduct, the end always break off because it has no strength to handle the every day wear and flexing.

Strengthen the cable, especially at the ends, and that should solve the problem. A simple fix.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Rokesomesmeefer;6536292]My cable, the original cable that came with my 3GS, is still being used to charge both my iPad and iPhone 4. You do realize you're not supposed to hold the cable and swing your iPhone around like a lasso, right?

I agree, I still have and use my 3G cord and charger for my ip4 and it is still in good condition.

If you do need new charger than you can but them off phonepartsusa for 5$ and they are not knockoffs.
    The headphones with mic and volume control are 6.95$.

I don't know if anyone already caught this but that cable is actually the charger when you plug your cable directly to a pc/mac. The ac adapter only converts electricity for the iPhone, then sends power thru the charger. So the picture you're all talking about is actually the charger, same item they give for iPods without the ac adapter!
    Last edited by Slmchrist; 05-22-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    My cable, the original cable that came with my 3GS, is still being used to charge both my iPad and iPhone 4.
    Still use my 2G cord for my 4S at work. Has nothing wrong with it either and it is a longer cord than current generations.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Let's try to stay on topic here rather than finding things to say about what the article is lacking, or how it was executed. Try talking about how you feel about the topic at hand here: Do you appreciate your iDevice charger and is it indeed "more sophisticated than you'd expect?"

On topic: I've had many knock-off generic cables (always use the original outlet head though) and those break within weeks. Tried a Belkin and an iLuv from the store, also didn't last. I tried these because my original Apple cable broke after years of use. Went back to using the original. The cables have changed since the first iDevices (they've improved greatly). The ones I have now don't do that annoying thing where the cables start to get exposed because the outer portions start sliding down (from the actual end that plugs into the iDevice).
    And this is exactly why people are complaining about the image. The article is NOT ABOUT THE CABLE. You've just validated every complaint about the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Slmchrist View Post
    I don't know if anyone already caught this but that cable is actually the charger when you plug your cable directly to a pc/mac. The ac adapter only converts electricity for the iPhone, then sends power thru the charger. So the picture you're all talking about is actually the charger, same item they give for iPods without the ac adapter!
    No it's not, the pc/mac becomes the charger. The cable is just the delivery medium.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 05-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    My cable, the original cable that came with my 3GS, is still being used to charge both my iPad and iPhone 4. You do realize you're not supposed to hold the cable and swing your iPhone around like a lasso, right?
    I do that sometimes and none of mine are broken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast