+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Your iPhone Can Be Hijacked Over Its Cellular Network

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T’s cellular network is vulnerable to malicious hackers that ultimately hijack your data, along with 47 other cell phone carriers, allowing the hijacker to intercept information such as calls, text
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Your iPhone Can Be Hijacked Over Its Cellular Network

AT&T’s cellular network is vulnerable to malicious hackers that ultimately hijack your data, along with 47 other cell phone carriers, allowing the hijacker to intercept information such as calls, text messages, and cellular data as discovered by some researchers from the University of Michigan. The vulnerability affects all AT&T smartphones including Android phones and the iPhone and even includes computers using cellular connect cards. The vulnerability is a problem because once the data is intercepted, a malicious hacker can inject malicious data into the traffic passing between devices and ultimately leaves the user unknowingly affected.

This kind of hijacking gives the malicious hacker the ability to redirect phone users to duplicitous Web sites, which attempt to mimic those of legitimate ones to steal user login credentials and scam people out of their money. According to Ars Tecnhica, the vulnerability is caused by a firewall system that AT&T (and other carriers) implemented to attempt to keep hackers out of the cellular data. That being said, the security measure is ironically the cellular carrier’s Achilles’ heel:

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Technica
    "The TCP sequence number inference attack opens up a whole new set of attack venues," the researchers from the University of Michigan's Computer Science and Engineering Department wrote in a research paper scheduled to be presented at this week's IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. "It breaks the common assumption that communication is relatively safe on encrypted/protected WiFi or cellular networks that encrypt the wireless traffic. In fact, since our attack does not rely on sniffing traffic, it works regardless of the access technology as long as no application-layer protection is enabled."
    Since the attack is performed by intercepting data, the information the user sends out never actually reaches the server it is supposed to. In the instance of being hijacked, the information the user sends out goes right to the hacker and is then sent back to the user with the hacker’s special spice mixed into the data. For example, a user trying to send information to a banking server would, in reality, be sending information to the hacker and receiving non-legitimate feedback. The cellular firewall system acts as a go-between for the user and the hacker.

The hijacking vulnerability is just another reason why users should not rely on an open, public network to do their banking, personal Facebooking, and other things that can cause detrimental damage to a person. Cellular networks are as public as unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Banking and Facebooking should be saved for your personal computer on wired or secured Wi-Fi networks such as that in your home as this will be a way of guarding yourself from this cellular hijacking.

Sources: Ars Technica
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Very misleading title.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow hate on ATT much? That can be said on just about any device regardless of encryption, you just have to know how to get in.

Thanks
    "47" is a large number of other carriers to be placing so much heat on AT&T. The title really should be edited for clarification because this looks really, REALLY bad.

Thanks

Old news this has been on tv in the uk a couple of years ago!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the title is soo mis-leading. Why doesn't it also say, Verizon iPhone Can Be Hijacked Over Cellular Network.. or Sprint? Just delete the carrier name and it will be a better title.

Thanks

Well this is maliciously happening to me as we speak! Old news or not, I would like to know how to stop it. I've already lost my job and my GF of 4 years in part to this. I've damn near lost my mind. It doesn't matter what I do as far as the device. I've used an iPhone 4 forever and swapped for a Skyrocket ... Just a day or so and strange stuff started happening again. Gave that to my mom for Mother's Day and got an Old 3GS... Not even JAILBROKEN and blam... They find a way in...
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Green Apple
    Thanks

Epic fail on the title. Even your article says "The vulnerability affects all AT&T smartphones, tablets, and computers using cellular connect cards, including Android devices and the iPhone." So why title it "AT&T iPhone....". Your bias is obvious. Why not list all other "47" providers too? Maybe title it "Data interception problematic on 47 cellular carriers".

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holyloktar View Post
    Epic fail on the title. Even your article says "The vulnerability affects all AT&T smartphones, tablets, and computers using cellular connect cards, including Android devices and the iPhone." So why title it "AT&T iPhone....". Your bias is obvious. Why not list all other "47" providers too? Maybe title it "Data interception problematic on 47 cellular carriers".
    Because that would be incorrect, as AT&T + 47 other carriers would be 48 of them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

What is this, junior high? Sheesh. Just fix the thread, and let's stop such juvenile chatter... smh

Thanks
    Thank you, this looks much more professional.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Because that would be incorrect, as AT&T + 47 other carriers would be 48 of them.

And yet, the title was changed. (Now, if we can get that slanted img altered this might pass for real journalism) ;-)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

A majority of the titles on this board are very misleading. That is just the style of Mmi! That is also why I wouldn't consider Mmi reputable!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RoloDiva13 View Post
    And yet, the title was changed. (Now, if we can get that slanted img altered this might pass for real journalism) ;-)
    The image up there right now? They changed from the Anti-AT&T one when they changed the title, the one up now isn't bad.

Also, I wouldn't go as far to call the site not reputable. This is a legit story and something that needs to be brought to the attention of cell phone customers, the OP just REALLY did not put a lot of thought into the way he worded the title.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Way to blame the user at the end there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Grylls View Post
    The image up there right now? They changed from the Anti-AT&T one when they changed the title, the one up now isn't bad.

Also, I wouldn't go as far to call the site not reputable. This is a legit story and something that needs to be brought to the attention of cell phone customers, the OP just REALLY did not put a lot of thought into the way he worded the title.
    Hey Bear,
    No, not the one up now. The one I'm referring to had the AT&T globe with a bright red slash mark through it and the word "FAIL" also in red font right below.

I am glad it was replaced. Thank you to the author.

Thanks

Very informative, insightful and SCARY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Way to blame the user at the end there.
    ^This too. It's not like every cell carrier out there tells you when you sign your contract, "hey we don't know how to secure our channels so if you're going to use this phone, use it on your own network, not ours, or you're getting your identity stolen." This post is the first I've seen on the subject ever. But, MMi is one of just 3 news sources I lurk frequently.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turnamental View Post
    Well this is maliciously happening to me as we speak! Old news or not, I would like to know how to stop it. I've already lost my job and my GF of 4 years in part to this. I've damn near lost my mind. It doesn't matter what I do as far as the device. I've used an iPhone 4 forever and swapped for a Skyrocket ... Just a day or so and strange stuff started happening again. Gave that to my mom for Mother's Day and got an Old 3GS... Not even JAILBROKEN and blam... They find a way in...
    I'm curious as to what happened?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I get the sense that the author is anti-ATT. Who are the other 47 cell phone carriers with this same security issue?