+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Devs Not Worried About Next iPhone's Bigger Screen

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Devs Not Worried About Next iPhone's Bigger Screen

If the rumor mill is correct, Apple's next-generation iPhone will deliver at least one significant hardware change over previous generations of the device. According to the incessant speculation from industry and supply chain sources, the next iPhone will deliver a bigger screen at 4-inches.

Despite this key component to the anticipated refresh, developers are apparently not overwhelmingly worried about new demands placed on developers as a result of the expanded screen.

But what do the developers who will have to deal with the implications of a larger screen think? I talked to a few iOS app makers, and interestingly, many of them are not convinced Apple would actually “pull an Android,” as one developer put it, and make it more complicated to design for a bunch of different screen sizes (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4/4S and something new).
    It seems the consensus among developers is that the modestly larger screen won't require developers to revisit earlier works or massively retool their creations, as Apple will all but certainly leave the aspect ratio or pixel density as they currently are.

“Changing the aspect ratio would be a lot of work for development teams. We found that maybe 50 percent of iOS development is [spent] in layout,” app maker and business owner Sam Shank, CEO of Hotel Tonight, tells Bloomberg. “If we had to do two versions of that, the current aspect ratio and a new aspect ratio, and had to lay it out again, that would add considerably to our development time.”

Source: Bloomberg/Businessweek

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Well... dev's could just black out part of the screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    And undoubtedly have their apps rejected by Apple.

I wonder how much of a difference you could really see in a half-inch screen bump if they kept the same pixel density.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    And undoubtedly have their apps rejected by Apple.

I wonder how much of a difference you could really see in a half-inch screen bump if they kept the same pixel density.
    Quite a bit I'm sure. If you have a flat screen tv or even your pc monitor play with the aspect ratios and you'll see. I think they'll have to change the pixel ratio with a bigger screen IF the want to keep it retina.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Users
    Users would not like that, and think the app as low quality.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

i wish the new iPhone looks like that mock up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that if the screen size is increase it won't affect the retina display as much, as the images are already double the size of the actual visual size. What Apple will probably do is leave the current apps with their current images size, but for new apps, they will need to meet the new screen size requirements.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm losing my mind. For some reason I read this as "jailbreak devs not worried about next iPhones bigger screen" lol

I don't think Apple would "pull an Android", but I do believe they will introduce a bigger screen to compete with the current market of smartphones out there. I just dont think Apple can keep the same size screen forever; that's like forever using VHS and expect it to fly.

Thanks

Not feeling the mock up as the home button is too large. Only thing I care for is the fact that the glass is gone on the back..haha! I would like a larger screen and no glass on the back of the phone. I work in IT and we get a ton of phones back that are shattered. No Droids come back that way..just saying. Build it like the current iPad and make it smaller(no brainer) Would be cool to make more of a color variety also, as not everyone covers their phone with large rubber/plastic housings we call cases

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Not feeling the mock up as the home button is too large. Only thing I care for is the fact that the glass is gone on the back..haha! I would like a larger screen and no glass on the back of the phone. I work in IT and we get a ton of phones back that are shattered. No Droids come back that way..just saying. Build it like the current iPad and make it smaller(no brainer) Would be cool to make more of a color variety also, as not everyone covers their phone with large rubber/plastic housings we call cases

+1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Kind of kills the purpose of having a bigger screen but I suppose that's a possibility if apple lets them do it. Apple might make them change it after a while just like they did with retina.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

All the pictures of a larger iPhone screen are ugly.