Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pod2g and MuscleNerd Publish Jailbreak 5.1.1 FAQ, Users Can Safely Upgrade to 5.1.1

I'm gonna feel sorry for the gullible peps that buy this crap......and you know there's gonna be some that will!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yep sad thing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    It'll only matter if they closed the holes. Unless they do that, the jailbreak should still work with little to no adjustments.

This is probably why they are telling people to upgrade now rather then wait for them to get the JB out. Apple is probably actively working to patch it. Due to the busy schedules of the JB teams with the upcoming summits this is probably why they are saying to get on board 5.1.1 before apple stops signing it.

Given that there's a way to downgrade back to 5.0.1 for those who previously JB I don't see any reason to not just upgrade now to 5.1.1 before the signing window closes. If for some reason you can't JB when the time comes or if the JB never ends up going public you can always run back to 5.0.1

In all honesty i'm quite conflicted about the release of a 5.1.1 JB. A part of me was quite content giving up my JB because 5.1.1 ran much smoother for me. I'm happy to see they are catering to this new FW for me but sad if it means burning a potential hole for when the new phone drops.

I think apple has gotten me dumbed down over the years cause I was getting along just fine without my JB for a weeks time. Maybe i'll fire up some androids just to get my head back in the game.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

A bit off topic but do I have to be on 5.1.1 to save my shsh/APTickets through tiny umbrella? Or can I just be on 5.0.1 and hook up. I've done this so many times but after the ifaith 5.0 apticket steps I just can't remember.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    A bit off topic but do I have to be on 5.1.1 to save my shsh/APTickets through tiny umbrella? Or can I just be on 5.0.1 and hook up. I've done this so many times but after the ifaith 5.0 apticket steps I just can't remember.
    You can save them with tiny umbrella. No need to go to 5.1.1 to save them.

I wish I could upgrade to 5.1.1, but rpetrich's Rotation Inhibitor and Belfry do not work yet as far as I know, and FullDrop is claimed to not be compatible with iOS 5 at all but works on my iPhone 4 at 5.0.1 (but not my iPad at 5.1).

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    It really should be stressed that if you're on 5.0.1/5.0.1b and jail broken (untethered), there really is nothing to be gained by jumping to 5.1.1.
    Unless there's an app or some hardware that requires it: my new HDMI adapter cable requires an update from 5.0.1 to function.

Quote Originally Posted by c14rlf View Post
    Error 14 this time,

Tried again and it worked, I was using an eBay bought USB charger, so tried the original and it worked!
    Tie-in to MMI article lauding Apple chargers...

Must you use Tiny Umbrella? Doesn't Cydia save blobs? Or is something else required?

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Will this cover 5.1? I'd rather not have to update.

Yep. iPad 3 jailbroken within 2 months of release.
    You speak of the as yet unreleased JB, yes?
    AFAIK, it was shown JB but no JB tool released yet. Did I miss something?
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 05-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    1. Play a track in Music
    2. Put device in sleep mode
    3. Unlock the device
    4. Enjoy the small lag
    I attempted this on my 4S (5.0.1b JB) and could not reproduce the lag you speak of, nor could I reproduce it on any display 4 or 4S I tried today at the local Apple Store that had songs loaded onto them. This makes me wonder if the lag is actually due to some combination of programs/tweaks that you have installed? I mean, if I can't even produce this on a stock device, then this is what I feel is safe to conclude. Perhaps there more you can tell of this issue?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    I attempted this on my 4S (5.0.1b JB) and could not reproduce the lag you speak of, nor could I reproduce it on any display 4 or 4S I tried today at the local Apple Store that had songs loaded onto them. This makes me wonder if the lag is actually due to some combination of programs/tweaks that you have installed? I mean, if I can't even produce this on a stock device, then this is what I feel is safe to conclude. Perhaps there more you can tell of this issue?
    I can vouch for this fellow. it happens stock and jb 5.0.x. it's fine if you unlock it inmediately, but try listening to music for 10 mins, have it locked on the music app, ten after 10 mins of it being locked, unlock it. you'll notice it. it pees me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You can save them with tiny umbrella. No need to go to 5.1.1 to save them.
    From my understanding, TinyUmbrella just saves the data for the current iOS you have installed.. so if you want 5.1.1 SHSH/Aptickets then you do have to upgrade to 5.1.1 to get it.. and you can, again, unless I'm mistaken.. only get them while apple is signing that firmware correct? .. you obviously can't upgrade to 5.1.1 once Apple stops signing the firmware..

So if that is true, my advice would be to upgrade to 5.1.1 with the hopes the JB will be out this week and to make sure you can capture that information before Apple decides to update to 5.1.2 or something .. ( after you make sure you capture your 5.0.1 SHSH/Apticket ofcourse )

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    From my understanding, TinyUmbrella just saves the data for the current iOS you have installed.. so if you want 5.1.1 SHSH/Aptickets then you do have to upgrade to 5.1.1 to get it.. and you can, again, unless I'm mistaken.. only get them while apple is signing that firmware correct? .. you obviously can't upgrade to 5.1.1 once Apple stops signing the firmware..

So if that is true, my advice would be to upgrade to 5.1.1 with the hopes the JB will be out this week and to make sure you can capture that information before Apple decides to update to 5.1.2 or something .. ( after you make sure you capture your 5.0.1 SHSH/Apticket ofcourse )
    I have an i4 so I can update to 5.1.1 and then downgrade back to 5.0.1 to jb, because without spire being compatible with 5.1.1 I'm not going to jb with 5.1.1. There's nothing of real significance in the update. And I think as long as apple is signing that fw you can connect to TU and it'll save the tickets. With iFaith you had to be on the fw to dump the blob and I think it's the same thing with the new version of redsn0w to dump the tickets for a5 devices. I'll try it tonight and report back what the outcome. Unless TU has changed I should be able to be on 5.0.1 and save the tickets for 5.1.1. For some reason Cydia says I have 5.1 saved but I haven't saved any since 5.0 and 5.0.1.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post

Your understanding is incorrect. Tiny umbrella saves the SHSH and APTicket for the current firmware that Apple is signing. It has nothing to do with what firmware your device is actually on. iFaith and redsnow are the ones that extract the SHSH from the current firmware installed on the device (A4 devices only for that).

My iPhone 4S is on 5.0.1 and I have used tiny umbrella to save 5.1 and 5.1.1 SHSH and APTickets.

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I have an i4 so I can update to 5.1.1 and then downgrade back to 5.0.1 to jb, because without spire being compatible with 5.1.1 I'm not going to jb with 5.1.1. There's nothing of real significance in the update. And I think as long as apple is signing that fw you can connect to TU and it'll save the tickets. With iFaith you had to be on the fw to dump the blob and I think it's the same thing with the new version of redsn0w to dump the tickets for a5 devices. I'll try it tonight and report back what the outcome. Unless TU has changed I should be able to be on 5.0.1 and save the tickets for 5.1.1. For some reason Cydia says I have 5.1 saved but I haven't saved any since 5.0 and 5.0.1.
    Cydia saves them for you automatically (sometimes). Similar to how tiny umbrella doesnt need you to be on that firmware to save them neither does cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Your understanding is incorrect. Tiny umbrella saves the SHSH and APTicket for the current firmware that Apple is signing. It has nothing to do with what firmware your device is actually on. iFaith and redsnow are the ones that extract the SHSH from the current firmware installed on the device (A4 devices only for that).

My iPhone 4S is on 5.0.1 and I have used tiny umbrella to save 5.1 and 5.1.1 SHSH and APTickets.

Cydia saves them for you automatically (sometimes). Similar to how tiny umbrella doesnt need you to be on that firmware to save them neither does cydia.
    Perfect -- answered my q -- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    I can vouch for this fellow. it happens stock and jb 5.0.x. it's fine if you unlock it inmediately, but try listening to music for 10 mins, have it locked on the music app, ten after 10 mins of it being locked, unlock it. you'll notice it. it pees me off.
    You didn't say what device you were using, but I'm assuming it's not a 4S. On my 4S (5.0.1b JB), I played a song with it locked (on the music app just as you described) for 20 minutes when I was getting ready this morning. When I unlocked it, there was no pause in the music what so ever, nor was there any lag anywhere during the unlock process. It just went to the music app right away.

Can you say what else was running in the background when you experienced it? Also, what device and what firmware exactly (5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.1b) were you testing on? I'll also test on some display devices again next time I'm near an Apple or a cell carrier's store or any other place that has some on display with music on them, but so far I've been unable to reproduce this at a all.
    Last edited by alanjf; 05-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.

apparently this @legerov individual has posted an untethered 5.1.1:

However, it doesnt seem to be doin too well, I wonder why

I dont see any indication of a jailbroken iphone on 5.1.1

The real jailbreak will not be released till after the Amsterdam meeting.

Edit..
    Last edited by EVO; 05-23-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    I'm gonna feel sorry for the gullible peps that buy this crap......and you know there's gonna be some that will!
    Unlikely. It's not exactly easy to purchase the required software. And you guys do know that the required software isn't really for jailbreaking an iphone. It is just able to do it.

Celeron thanks man but I have an iPhone 4. I'm kinda confused. When I jb in January, I did it via Cydia. When this jb releases, can I upgrade through Cydia or some other way?

Cydia is the app store that is installed when you JB. You can not have cydia installed unless you are already JailBroken.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast