+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.1.1 Warning Hints at FaceTime with 3G Support

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default iOS 5.1.1 Warning Hints at FaceTime with 3G Support

Warnings recently found in the latest version of iOS are suggesting that Apple’s plans to bring support for 3G wireless data connections to its FaceTime video chat feature.

Basically, when a FaceTime call is active over Wi-Fi on an iPhone running on iOS 5.1.1 and a user turns off the “Enable 3G” option in the Settings, the operating system presents the user with a warning message that states: “Disabling 3G may end FaceTime. Are you sure you want to disable 3G?” The message was first noticed by the folks over at the Romanian Apple blog, iDevice and despite the warning, FaceTime video calls will continue over Wi-Fi uninterrupted even after 3G has been turned off or on. This suggests that Apple may possible be looking to bring 3G support to FaceTime.

We knew that FaceTime can work over 3G if you downloaded the right file but this new error in 5.1.1 is the one that clearly makes mention of 3G. As of right now, we don’t know if we are testing things or if the carriers would even allow it and if so, how. We’ll have to patiently wait to see if this turns out to be true or if this is just erroneous information.

Source: iDevice

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet! Can't wait!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Of course they want us to use it, they want us to use lot's of data. And they will make us pay for it dearly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This feature was actually available when FaceTime came out, it's called 3G unrestrictor or my3G

Thanks

Good for non jailbroken devices
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Now we just need facetime without the video feature. Why? Essentially VOIP without using cellular minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by oMarvelous View Post
    This feature was actually available when FaceTime came out, it's called 3G unrestrictor or my3G
    It's ALWAYS nice to see Apple removing restrictions. 3G unrestrictor also costs money. This does not.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-19-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 834 Posts

This would be nice if unlimited data plans weren't going extinct

Thanks

May make it more of a usable feature on non jailbroken iPhones! Or for people to tight to pay for the tweaks that allowed this!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bjbinc View Post
    This would be nice if unlimited data plans weren't going extinct
    I know right they made me get off mine when I switched from my grandmothers plan to my fathers plan :/ I wasn't very thrilled about this news but with all of the throttling I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just waiting for Internet companies to start screwing us over

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

With my phones always jailbroken, I forget what features do or don't exist on stock iOS. It's nice to see Apple is finally implementing something that had been accomplished via JB long ago, but like everyone else said it sucks bc carriers have eliminated unlimited data plans. I can only imagine how many people without unlimited data will avoid using FaceTime over 3G.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

facetime has been available over 3g for years. it's called yahoo

Thanks

I made my first video call in 2003 - my second in about 2006 and then again when Facetime first came out.

I might make another one in a few years.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Like everyone had picture mail for years before AT&T would let the iPhone have it.

Thanks

MMS is quite useful - bit video calling is not something I am interested in.
    But Apple do wait and get things right.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Now we just need facetime without the video feature. Why? Essentially VOIP without using cellular minutes..
    Hear, hear!

+1

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Pointless. One video call and you're over your data cap. I have "unlimited" and I can't go over 3gb or I get throttled. There is no way to win. Now, I they counted it as cellular minutes instead, they'd get big points. It'll never happen though.

Thanks

Now that unlimited data plans are a little less rare than unicorns or empty taxicabs on a rainy Friday night in New York City, this might actually happen. The carriers would easily recoup their added costs in overages. Either that, or Apple just updated their error message to reflect the possibility that official FaceTime over 3G might happen somewhere, someday.
    Last edited by Orby; 05-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Pointless. One video call and you're over your data cap. I have "unlimited" and I can't go over 3gb or I get throttled. There is no way to win. Now, I they counted it as cellular minutes instead, they'd get big points. It'll never happen though.
    At least you get some sort of usage before you get throttled. Verizon throttles anyone at any time evidently. I can just barely start a new billing cycle and I'll be throttled. I don't know what's worse, being throttled to the point of insanity (and Verizon's speeds are pretty slow as it is without being throttled) on an unlimited data plan or freely using the data but having a cap.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oMarvelous View Post
    LoL my thoughts exactly. I have been rocking face time with 3g sense day one! Ok maybe day two.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It's ALWAYS nice to see Apple removing restrictions. 3G unrestrictor also costs money. This does not.
    I always find these statements funny..... Haveing a $700 phone and worrying about paying $3.99 for an app is funny to me. IF $3.99 is going to set you back then maybe the iPhone isn't the phone for you.

It's cool that apple is again stealing ideas from the jailbreaking community though. Free R&D by those that are jailbroken and then implement!
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-20-2012 at 12:24 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this is ridiculous. cellular companies are definitely not losing money, and they aren't afraid of infrastructure limitations. there are no limitations! new networks can always be built. they could, however, extend profits by cutting back on advertising. there hasn't been a good cellular commercial since "can you hear me now?"