+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sources Claim Apple is Preparing iPhones with Bigger Screens

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Sources Claim Apple is Preparing iPhones with Bigger Screens

According to Bloomberg, Apple is set to introduce a new iPhone with a larger screen and an overhaul design that Steve Jobs “worked closely on” before passing away.

According to people who are familiar with Apple’s plans, it appears the Cupertino California company has ordered screens from suppliers that are “bigger than the 3.5-inch size” that the iPhone has been sporting since its debut in 2007.” The report noted that “Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had worked closely on the redesigned phone before his death in October” and another source claimed that Jobs had played a “key role in developing” Apple’s next-generation iPhone.

If Apple was to perform a major redesign of the iPhone, it would be the device’s first re-design since the iPhone 4 arrived in mid-2010. The previous design found incorporated into the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, was also kept for two years before the current form factor was introduced. With three mainstream media outlets reporting similar claims in the same week, the likelihood that Apple will expand the screen on its best-selling handset appear to be high. Previous reports indicated that LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display are al readying production lines for 4-inch displays bound for Apple’s next-generation iPhone. Furthermore, according to a report from Reuters, the production of the new screens could begin as soon as next month, ahead of full production of the next-generation iPhone in August.

Analysts have suggested that Apple’s interest in a larger-screen iPhone comes in response to pressure from increasing screen sizes offering by competing Android handsets. The next-generation iPhone is widely expected to hit the market in the fall, roughly one year after the sale of the iPhone 4S. We’ll have to wait and see how much truth there is to the information by being patient.

Sources: Bloomberg, Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad to hear that the iPhone is going to be bigger. Not sure how I feel about a smaller iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's going to be interesting to see how they increase the screen size without lowering the ppi below the magic 300 or adding any significant fragmentation. Hopefully 9:5 as imagined by a caller on The Verge.

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    I'm glad to hear that the iPhone is going to be bigger. Not sure how I feel about a smaller iPad.
    Nobody is making you buy it With a smaller and cheaper iPad, Apple will completely dominate the tablet market, well more than they do currently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    I get it, like your girlfriend, you wish everything were bigger, not smaller. That is the right approach.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

4.0 inches ?
    Welcome to 2009, Apple.
    4.7" to 5.0" screens are currently doing it for consumers.
    Apple's problem lies in producing just one size phone - and with screens, one size most definitely doesn't fit all.

Every other manufacturer does small, medium and large variants - difficult to understand why Apple refuses to see the writing on the wall here.
    It can't be a profit thing because while it saves on manuf'g costs to have one size, the net is negative because you lose all the customers who don't want the size you're making.
    From which we must deduce that it some kind of cult thing.

Apple needs to understand that cult status is not a function of limiting choice, but of producing excellence.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    4.0 inches ?
    Welcome to 2009, Apple.
    Apple's problem lies in producing just one size phone - and with screens, one size most definitely doesn't fit all.

Every other manufacturer does small, medium and large variants - difficult to understand why Apple refuses to see the writing on the wall here.
    It can't be a profit thing because while it saves on manuf'g costs to have one size, the net is negative because you lose all the customers who don't want the size you're making.

Apple needs to understand that cult status is not a function of limiting choice, but of producing excellence.
    5" screens are ridiculous does that automatically mean they should just go to a 6" iPhone? No that's what tablets are for. Phones are for phones tablets are for tablets. Don't keep getting bigger just because the other guy is. I went and saw the Samsung note. That thing is retarded (huge).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    5" screens are ridiculous does that automatically mean they should just go to a 6" iPhone? No that's what tablets are for. Phones are for phones tablets are for tablets. Don't keep getting bigger just because the other guy is. I went and saw the Samsung note. That thing is retarded (huge).
    Look, tell it to the guys who are buying big-screen phones.
    Whether you love or hate them, big screens are outselling small ones.

The problem for me is that I always wonder whether large-screen hatred comes from the same Apple fanboys who if Apple only made 4.7" screens, would hate small screens.
    That's why I always find the screensize conversation on Apple forums difficult ... because it's difficult to have a useful conversation with any kind of fanboy.

Not saying you are one - just explaining why this conversation often ends up with people making themselves look ridiculous ... and apparently not realising or perhaps, caring about it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 1,696 Posts

Owning both a 4s and the HTC One X I can honestly say the display on the X is so much clearer and nicer to look at. 4.7 inches seems to work perfectly. I too looked at the note and think it is bizarre. I still prefer theming on ios but that aside its a no brainer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Dummy For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (05-18-2012)

Thanks

'according to unnamed sources'... Post-death Jobs is going to become like post-death Disney: I look forward to reports of him being in cryogenic suspension under Apple HQ.

Thanks

Its called natural progression I suppose. Apple has to compete with what is currently out there. Android phones get bigger by the hour. Soon enough they will introduce and iPad sized handset ahhaha! I mean come on..back to the Zach Morris phone? Just make the screen bigger Apple and leave the body alone..thanks in advance!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Its called natural progression I suppose. Apple has to compete with what is currently out there. Android phones get bigger by the hour. Soon enough they will introduce and iPad sized handset ahhaha!
    Hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I mean come on..back to the Zach Morris phone? Just make the screen bigger Apple and leave the body alone..thanks in advance!
    Hey, maybe we could have the WHOLE front as a screen ?
    Can you imagine picking it up is no longer just picking it up - it's opening something up too.
    Why not have a screen that's larger than the body ?
    Maybe a lateral holographic extension ?

I think wanting a larger screen in the same sized body is known as wanting to have cake and eat it.
    Unfortunately, only one at a time is possible (currently).

Thanks

Praying the don't go the way of Android. I want a smart phone not a smart phone parading around like a mini-tablet.

Thanks

About time! I would love a 4" iPhone

Thanks

4.0 inches ?
    Welcome to 2009, Apple.

4" welcome to 2009? Um hello, it's 2012 and Apple's 3.5" devices are the #1 selling phone on the market to date by far - none of these other 'big' phones even compete in sales. Hate when people jump in conversations taking what's being produced as fact over looking at numbers. Apple doesn't have to increase their screen size to compete with anything, they could drop this next phone with the same 3.5" screen an it'll still outsell every other phone that's out there. Who the hell wants a bigass brick in your hands for a phone? Get a tablet, or glasses if you can't see the 3.5" screen clear as can be, geez.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 979 Posts

Regardless if 'other' companies are making phones w/ bigger screens...Apple is still making a killing off its 'mediocre' 3.?" screen it's been sporting for 5 years!!!

Bigger doesn't mean better...at least that's what my wife tells me... :-z

J/K! Hahahahaha!!!
    Last edited by thazsar; 05-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hehe

Hey, maybe we could have the WHOLE front as a screen ?
    Can you imagine picking it up is no longer just picking it up - it's opening something up too.
    Maybe a lateral holographic extension ?

I think wanting a larger screen in the same sized body is known as wanting to have cake and eat it.
    Unfortunately, only one at a time is possible (currently).
    Holographic projections won't come for a few more years. Hopefully by 2015 we'll have them

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    4" welcome to 2009? Um hello, it's 2012 and Apple's 3.5" devices are the #1 selling phone on the market to date by far - none of these other 'big' phones even compete in sales. Hate when people jump in conversations taking what's being produced as fact over looking at numbers. Apple doesn't have to increase their screen size to compete with anything, they could drop this next phone with the same 3.5" screen an it'll still outsell every other phone that's out there. Who the hell wants a bigass brick in your hands for a phone? Get a tablet, or glasses if you can't see the 3.5" screen clear as can be, geez.
    First, go Google the word 'irony'.
    Then go check out smartphone sales trends by screensize.
    The reason Android phones sell against the superior iPhone is BECAUSE they cater to the sector of the market ignored by Apple : - the sector that wants a screen bigger than 3.5".
    If Apple DID cater for that sector, I'd probably never even bought the selection of Android phones I did.

They could drop the next iPhone and every succeeding iPhone with a 3.5" screen and watch their market share decline to a hard core of Apple fanboys.

And as to Who the hell wants a bigass brick in your hands for a phone, that would be me and everyone who's bought a smartphone with a screen larger than 3.5" ... a pretty bigass percentage of the market that Apple's missed out on.

But I have a 7" tablet and an iPad - both of which serve particular size-specific roles.
    I can see my iPhone-4 screen clear as day - but I can see my HTC Evo 3D's 4.3" screen even clearer.

Apple's orientation will grow increasingly commercial and within three years, they'll start offering the iPhone in a variety of sizes ... and you won't have to poop your diapers every time someone voices their desire for one with a larger screen.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 05-18-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 857 Posts

At this point I don't much care about an extremely over-priced smartphone - please bring on a new iPod Touch, Apple!

Thanks

Default Oh Yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    I get it, like your girlfriend, you wish everything were bigger, not smaller. That is the right approach.
    AGREE !!

Once you have had BIG, you won't go back...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 979 Posts

Hehe

Maybe they need to make a screen that wraps around the entire body! It'll be never-ending screen explosion!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    AGREE !!

Once you have had BIG, you won't go back...

Nice! +1