Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Censoring the Word "Jailbreak" in U.S. iTunes Store

Default Apple Censoring the Word "Jailbreak" in U.S. iTunes Store

Apple has started censoring the word “jailbreak” in the US iTunes Store. Seriously, go search for any song or album with “jailbreak” in the title and it will come up “j*******k.”

Notable iOS hacker @planetbeing made the jailbreak censoring observation last night. However, Apple appears to be only censoring the use of the word jailbreak in the US iTunes store. Additionally, not every instance is censored. Thin Lizzy’s classic record Jailbreak has its title censored for the new deluxe edition, but the album’s description contains the word “Jailbreak” uncensored. Also, older versions of the record aren’t censored in any way.

Other notable/hilarious examples of censorship include an episode of The Roy Rogers show and an episode of the Real World. For those not familiar with The Roy Rogers show, it was a harmless western themed comedy. Definitely worthy of Apple’s censorship.

Apple’s aversion to the jailbreaking community is well documented. The constant push and pull between the hacking community and Apple is as rewarding for jailbreakers as it is enthralling. But, censoring a harmless word regardless of its context is ludicrous. Censoring the word jailbreak even in the context of “hacking” is reprehensible.

I guess this means the iOS Hackers Handbook won’t be available in iBooks anytime soon.

Source: @planetbeing [via MacRumors]

That wreaks of paranoia.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what, J*******k you!

-_- they are making it sound like a swear word

That's weird.. They didn't censor the "Jailbreak" or "Jailbreaker" app in the Appstore. Why would they sensor a song?

I guess this means the iOS Hackers Handbook won’t be available in iBooks anytime soon.

Really? Really?

This site has gotten worse and worse on the writing.

iTunes - Books - iOS Hacker's Handbook by Charlie Miller

They might be censoring the word Jailbreak because it means to break out of Jail/Prison. Maybe its not all about the iOS jailbreakers.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
    They might be censoring the word Jailbreak because it means to break out of Jail/Prison. Maybe its not all about the iOS jailbreakers.

yeah, thats probably it, lol....

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vladpire View Post
    yeah, thats probably it, lol....
    I agree, now that Apple has censored the word people will think twice before breaking out of jail/prison.
    Thank you Apple, I will sleep soundly tonight!

They stopped that. All things with Jailbreak are now written on iTunes again.

Actually last week the iOS Hackers Handbook was available in in iBooks...

Quote Originally Posted by iM1sf1t View Post
    Actually last week the iOS Hackers Handbook was available in in iBooks...
    I wish I would have bought it. You can probably find a PDF to use on iBooks. Apple sucks.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh no, it's the end of the world............................................. .......................

In the App Store the word "Jailbreak" or "Jailbreaker" /should/ be censored. Why? Because the people that are naming apps, not games, things like Jailbreak or hack are simply playing on a certain group of people's gullibility to make money. That is no better than when all of those crappy clones were in the top 25, like the Temple Run clone that made a ton of dough because the icon was similar, the description was vague and the screenshot was also vague. It is a slippery slope though, if they censor jailbreak, then why not wifi scanners, network tools, etc. Then why not any utility?

What doesn't make sense is that the censored items were in the iTunes store, not the App Store, right?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That's kinda immature of apple to do something like that.
    It's not like it's a bad word in any sense.

If it is then, j*********k you apple!

new curse word: J*******K

This is too funny

(and a little bit scary)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

One word: ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    In the App Store the word "Jailbreak" or "Jailbreaker" /should/ be censored. Why? Because the people that are naming apps, not games, things like Jailbreak or hack are simply playing on a certain group of people's gullibility to make money. That is no better than when all of those crappy clones were in the top 25, like the Temple Run clone that made a ton of dough because the icon was similar, the description was vague and the screenshot was also vague. It is a slippery slope though, if they censor jailbreak, then why not wifi scanners, network tools, etc. Then why not any utility?

What doesn't make sense is that the censored items were in the iTunes store, not the App Store, right?
    No, Apple shouldn't have approved those apps to begin with, or should kill them from the app store. Censoring existing items does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I agree, now that Apple has censored the word people will think twice before breaking out of jail/prison.
    Thank you Apple, I will sleep soundly tonight!
    Lmfao

Please Apple! Be seroius. Sounds like a internal employee joke... G*t t*e f**k o*t...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast