Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Killing Legacy Unlimited Data Plans For 4G LTE Users

Default Verizon Killing Legacy Unlimited Data Plans For 4G LTE Users

Fran Shammo explaining to Verizon customers why they don't matter.

Verizon is killing unlimited data for anone upgrading to their 4G LTE network. Which, will eventually be everyone.

Verizon's CFO Fran Shammo announced during the 40th annual J.P. Morgan Technology that consumers moving onto the company’s 4G network will be forced to give up their grandfathered unlimited data plans. It seems rather fitting that Verizon would make such an anti-consumer announcement at an event hosted by J.P. Morgan.

In case customers thought this move was made to enhance their user end experience, Shammo made it painfully clear the move toward tiered and shared data is for profit only.

“A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited. When they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us.” — Shammo
    You can hate on AT&T all you want, but at least they allowed grandfathered unlimited users access to their 4G LTE network. Verizon is using the lure of 4G to destroy unlimited data and in its place institute a “Data Share” model. Under the shared data model families and businesses will have access to a shared pool of data instead of tying the data cap to a single phone.

Verizon still hasn’t announced pricing for their data share plans, but expect them to do horrible unspeakable things to your bank account. Shammo claims the industry has crippled the smartphone market by restricting data usage to individual devices, but I suspect it has more to do with "restricting" Verizon's profits.

“If I can add as many devices as I want, that is more efficient from a family perspective and a small business perspective” — Shammo
    One can only assume that by more efficient, he means “get screwed over without realizing it.”

Source: AppleInsider

Just another reason Verizon can suck mine and will never get my business! I'd tap a message out on a rock and through it b4 I'd give them my business!

Once AT&T hears of this, they will do the same. Nobody wants to be the first, but now that Verizon took the lead, AT&T can safely follow suit.

What about existing 4GLTE users on Verizon? Will they be forced forfeit their unlimited plans too?

Well I guess if I renew with them I will lose my unlimited 3G, both my wife and I currently own the iPhone 4. I do have a decent Internet connection at home so I can make do with smaller data on my plan if it comes to this.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Once AT&T hears of this, they will do the same. Nobody wants to be the first, but now that Verizon took the lead, AT&T can safely follow suit.
    Um your an idiot... AT&T did it first like 6 months ago

If AT&T Tells Me It's 4G Or Unlimited Data I'll Stick With My Data I Could Careless About Having 4G If I Gotta Worry About How Much I Actually Use It

Sad to say but its Sprint and Clearwire for me......I switched over to Sprint for the unlimited data I don't see why 4G is so fantastic with out unlimited DATA all those fancy apps and drain your data usage in a day. I also bought the Clear Spot Apollo before I switched because I was running out of data within a week and there was 3 weeks left in the month to go. Sprint/Clearwire is the best for me and my needs they are. The mobile hot spot is awesome as long as you are in Wi-Max coverage City.

All I know is that when the next iPhone comes out, I'm buying it unlocked/without a contract. I'm on AT&T, and I'll be damned if they try to take my unlimited away. If they keep me grandfathered, I might bite and sign a new contract. Maybe.

Your the dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Um your an idiot... AT&T did it first like 6 months ago
    Um your the idiot. AT&T only caps you at 3gb right now. If you want to get a 4G capable device and keep your unlimited plan you can. Get our facts straight before trying to look good and call someone out on something you clearly know nothing about.
    Last edited by smoothcreak; 05-16-2012 at 11:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two lines and don't talk much, so a $50 700 minute plan will do. VZW's individual priced 10Gb 4G data package is $80, but on smartphones, they double the data limit to 20Gb. Times two plus the minutes, add a line and taxes puts the bill at about $240...the same as I pay on AT&T, granted I have 1350 minutes (and eleventy thousand rollover minutes), but I get throttled at 3Gb and average 6Gb used. For the same price, I get no throttling, 20Gbs per line, an LTE network 6x the size AND get to keep an iPhone?! Where do I sign?! If 20Gbs of a completely mobile 40-70Mbps connection isn't enough, maybe you and your media habits are the problem...not VZW trying to prevent people from using their mobile network to replace their home ISPs. The only people I know (and I'm a nerd with a circle of nerd friends) who go through more data than that, torrent, tether (big time...like power a college frat house and all occupant's laptops) and use their mobile data for things like XBOX Live gaming. IE; not VZW's intended purpose for THEIR network. High demand + limited supply = high prices. The laws of economics don't change, no matter how bad you wanna stream super important stuff like Hulu 24/7.

Thanks

I see AT&T following them on this one. In the long run, they only care about themselves and their company's interests. Can't really blame them for that. All the more reason to go contract-less/pay as you go.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smoothcreak View Post
    Your the dumbass

Um your the idiot. AT&T only caps you at 3gb right now. If you want to get a 4G capable device and keep your unlimited plan you can. Get our facts straight before trying to look good and call someone out on something you clearly know nothing about.
    It's spelled 'you're'.
    Now... what were you two saying?

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Just another reason Verizon can suck mine and will never get my business! I'd tap a message out on a rock and through it b4 I'd give them my business!
    *throw

It won't be long before the only time you are really forced to use the data is in your car. Even gas stations are offering free wifi now.

The only way data usage is an issue several years from now is if they win the battle over ISPs and the traditional DSL/Cable Modem goes the way of the Dodo. For the time being, however, it is frustrating to see the wireless providers making these changes.

and through it
    The word is throw.
    Hmm...

+1

thats bs even on my old att ipad 3g plan grandfathered me into unlimited lte on att's side if verizon does that ill just keep my unlimited 3g(been with em since broadband started n was $100 a month)

Glad I'm on sprint the coverage in my area is great. Just hope sprint Doesn't kill the unlimited data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast