+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Switchy - The Rethought App Switcher Brought to Life!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Switchy - The Rethought App Switcher Brought to Life!

If you are like many who thought iOS’ App Switcher could do with some major improvement, then perhaps a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Switchy by iOS developer John Coates will give your eyes the most relaxing massage they’ve ever had. The new App Switcher-adjusting jailbreak tweak comes from a concept posted on The Verge – Rethinking the iPhone's App Switcher this week. Switchy is in its developmental stages with much more to come in the near future, however the beginning results are already starting to add up to something!

The first part, pictured above, makes the App Switcher much larger. This larger App Switcher gives you more room to see your running applications and decreases the amount of pages you need to page through to get to a backgrounded (suspended in the iOS device’s memory) application you want to re-open. You will also notice that there are now page indicators at the bottom of the App Switcher. This is because the application switching area of the improved App Switcher isn’t even the best part.

Switchy also brings a new look to the iPod interface in the App Switcher. The iPod interface is compatible with many music applications that play music, so applications like Pandora, Spotify, and Grooveshark will also appear here apart from the stock iOS Music application. The larger space given to the App Switcher allows you to see more information about your music including the artist, album, and song name and even gives you the volume bar right from the iPod interface instead of making you page over one more page to adjust the volume like Apple makes you do. Normally, you can only see the name of the song from this view.

The last page of the App Switcher is a settings page. The settings page is currently in development, however it includes a brightness slider, Settings application shortcut, and a kill-all-applications button, which were not in the App Switcher before Switchy was released. The kill-all-applications button is a highly requested feature for iOS because as applications become suspended in your iOS device’s memory, the device can slow down as it becomes difficult for the device to find the memory resources it needs. Having the brightness slider here is also a useful feature since you would normally have to open your Settings application or install a different third party jailbreak tweak to get easier access to your brightness.

As far the future of Switchy is concerned, John hopes to add the toggles and some more settings to the settings section of the App Switcher as displayed on The Verge’s concept article. As the tweak stands now, the kill-all-applications button, brightness shortcut, and spacier interface give it a lot of 1-up’s over Apple’s design. Switchy is fully compatible with Zephyr if you use it.

Name: Switchy
    Price: $1
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: John Coates
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: John Coates

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This got a 4/5 for enlarging the multi task bar and adding a few new options? I was expecting a new UI and everything. This isn't even a new idea!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I really don't see how this is worth a dollar relative to the free stuff that's out there.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

There are no options which sucks, there should be a respring icon near kill all apps, it should be self expanding where the multitask only gets that big if there are 5 or more apps

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is a great idea!! ... Just as long as this tweak doesn't eat up any RAM. I'm a real stickler when it comes to RAM resources and battery. I've managed to only install tweaks that do not reduce battery life and/or free RAM. Is this still in development or is it available?

Why doesn't any review site report on lag or RAM usage when reviewing tweaks? Doesn't anyone care about performance?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I think this is a great idea!! ... Just as long as this tweak doesn't eat up any RAM. I'm a real stickler when it comes to RAM resources and battery. I've managed to only install tweaks that do not reduce battery life and/or free RAM. Is this still in development or is it available?

Why doesn't any review site report on lag or RAM usage when reviewing tweaks? Doesn't anyone care about performance?
    I know. That bothers me too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to see this tweak incorporate what MySwitcher does with being able to change the background of the switcher. With MySwitcher there is only a few color options. It would be really nice to see in a settings panel the ability to choose a background from your wallpapers/camera roll like CustomNCBackground or CustomSiriBackground. That's what I'd like to see incorporated with this tweak. That'd be top notch.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't beat it for $1

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

I've got this right now and it works perfect. It is just as quick as the default switcher and with the improvements added it will be worth more than a dollar. This is a really nice tweak if you're gonna complain don't buy it lol. But I personally like the brightness slider as SBSettings annoys me to use for some reason

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustin942000 View Post
    I've got this right now and it works perfect. It is just as quick as the default switcher and with the improvements added it will be worth more than a dollar. This is a really nice tweak if you're gonna complain don't buy it lol. But I personally like the brightness slider as SBSettings annoys me to use for some reason
    Same here!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems like no one likes anything anymore that has less features than SBSettings (which is now completely obsolete, by the way), and $2 is apparently too much to pay for ANYTHING. So much entitlement and so little perspective in this community lately. Useful lifelong tweaks for a several hundred dollar device aren't worth the price of a processed cheeseburger? Really?

Thanks

It's not about entitlement. I gladly paid chpwn, Maxner, and the PwnTunes dev among others. That being said, it's not our fault that other developers make tweaks that we think are better than this for free. And SBSettings won't be obsolete as long as there are so many useful toggles for it.
    Last edited by brodimus; 05-17-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks

If you notice lately being, all the new devices have great RAM size etc so the change wouldn't be noticeable.
    I still have 3GS and understand where you're coming from about battery and RAM
    I agree with your point though, it's saddening that with the advancements, all the old factors like RAM isn't much of an issue to the majority

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

Love it. I have sbswitcher and it works great. 1 thing though is that I wish the sbswitcher toggles became 2 row like the running apps do. Other then that. Works great with zephyr and sbswitcher. Also launches much quicker on lockscreen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 829 Posts

I agree it's disconcerting. Like how, I've noticed, review sites for games (ahem, TouchArcade, ahem) make no mention if a game does not support the new Retina Display.

There should be a standard set of questions for a review website - then the reviewer only has to write about each element in turn, then add up the score. Simple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wicked tweak makes the switcher far more usable giving you access to more apps to switch to quickly and doesnt appear to affect the speed which is always a bonus!