+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wall Street Journal Report Claims Apple Tapping Suppliers For Larger iPhone Displays

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A new Wall Street Journal report claims Apple’s next iPhone will indeed feature a larger 4-inch screen. Citing sources “familiar with the situation” the WSJ claims Apple has been looking
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wall Street Journal Report Claims Apple Tapping Suppliers For Larger iPhone Displays

A new Wall Street Journal report claims Apple’s next iPhone will indeed feature a larger 4-inch screen.

Citing sources “familiar with the situation” the WSJ claims Apple has been looking to its suppliers for larger screens for the next iPhone with sizes of at least 4-inches. Rumors surrounding the next iPhone, and even the iPhone 4S before it, have long speculated that Apple has plans to increase the size of their iconic handset. However, the rumors haven’t materialized with each generation of the iPhone sharing the familiar 3.5-inch screen size.

Apple is tapping the likes of LG, Sharp and Japan Display to supply the larger screens according to the WSJ’s sources. The larger screens could be in response to the mammoth-sized handset trend high-end Android manufacturers are currently enamored with. However, Mizuho Investors Security Analyst Nobuo Kurahashi points out to the WSJ that the screen isn’t necessarily a response to Apple’s rivals, and won’t likely be the phone’s defining feature.

Dustin Curtis shows the thumb-touch coverage of the iPhone compared to the larger Galaxy S II.

The larger screen rumor comes up during every rumor cycle before every new iPhone launch. In October of 2011, Dustin Curtis presented the reasoning behind his theory on why Apple has stuck with the 3.5-inch display for so long. Curtis makes his main point with an interesting graphic representing the potential touch coverage of the average hand holding the iPhone. On a 3.5-inch screen most people can hold the device in a single hand and nearly reach all four corners of the screen with their thumb with little to no strain. Increase the size to 4.2-inches, now the single hand operation becomes more difficult with the opposite top and bottom corners becoming useless as the user can’t touch them without using another hand. The entire side opposite of the user's thumb becomes useless as well Increasing the phone to 4.8-inches (Samsung Galaxy S III) or 5.3-inches (Samsung Note) makes single hand use restrictive for everyone without giant like features.

Apple may finally increase the size of the iPhone’s screen, but it’s not a bet I’d be willing to put money on.

Source: WSJ [via CNET]

Thanks

I doubt that they're going to ask developers to adjust their apps to a new resolution yet again. I doubt even more that they would keep the same resolution on a larger screen.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

I think the German iPhone 5 mockup will look like the iPad type. Use the thin curved back aluminum and make it faster and more features. My 2 cents. I love how I can touch my entire phone with one hand cause right now I'm typing this while eating a cheeseburger

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe in the "iPhone 5s" would but I don't think the 5 will.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I doubt that they're going to ask developers to adjust their apps to a new resolution yet again. I doubt even more that they would keep the same resolution on a larger screen.
    Can they not just increase the size of the screen and keep the resolution?

Thanks

If they do, I say they go to 4 inches, but definitely not a monster screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Can they not just increase the size of the screen and keep the resolution?
    Yeah but I doubt that they would do that even more than I doubt that they would change the resolution because of how big of a deal they've made of the retina display.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    Maybe in the "iPhone 5s" would but I don't think the 5 will.
    5s ? They would need the 5 first and you know whatever the physical dimensions are of the 5 they will be exactly the same for the 5s. So why mention 5s?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    If they do, I say they go to 4 inches, but definitely not a monster screen.
    BIGGER is BETTER!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Man. I'm hungry. A cheeseburger sounds real good about now.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^^nice!!^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Off topic but I really like the way the first mock iPhone looks. Wouldn't mind that "iPod" type design

Thanks

I'm looking forward to a 4" iphone screen. I think that is the ideal size that could still fit in one hand.

Thanks

I really hope they don't increase the screen size. I would have to look elsewhere for my next phone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    BIGGER is BETTER!!

But...doesn't this depict...uhmmmm...small(er)???