Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Homescreen Contacts - Add Contacts to the Home Screen

Default [Review] Homescreen Contacts - Add Contacts to the Home Screen

iOS has a very nice contacts organization system, however maybe itís just a little too organized and requires too much digging to get to the contact you want. You have to launch the Contacts application, find the contact you want, tap on them, and then look for the buttons for sending a message, launching a FaceTime call, or launching a Phone call. That's a lot of steps, huh?

iOS developer yeahwangy has released a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Homescreen Contacts so you can easily find the contacts you want right from your home screen and get in touch with them via any of the iPhone's built-in communication methods such as FaceTime, Phone calls, and text messaging. As shown by the screenshots above, the tweak adds a new button to the bottom of the Contacts application, which allows you to add the specific contact you are looking at to the home screen. The button is labeled, "Add To Home Screen" and once tapped, the contact will be placed on the home screen with a Homescreen Contacts badge on the icon so you can easily tell the difference between it and other application icons as shown in the screenshot above on the right.

When you tap on the contact added to the home screen, the interface opens like any iOS folder would with a linen background. The interface can then be scrolled through to see anything that you would see from the Contacts application, such as the contactís phone number, e-mail address, and even shortcuts for launching a FaceTime call, sending a text message, and launching a Phone call. This method makes reaching your contacts much easier than browsing through your Contacts application. It's also great for having a speed-dial option on your iPhone so you can reach certain people very quickly on the fly.

The tweak comes with a very simple preferences pane in the Settings application, which is shown above. From here you can choose to have that Homescreen Contacts badge icon enabled or disabled. Disabling this feature will make the contact icons harder to distinguish from application icons. Under this there is a feature you need to use whenever you change the name or picture of a contact. This feature updates the home screen icon with the changed picture and name to match that of the Contacts application. The last option is just an activation system you need to use to activate the tweak after you download it.

Homescreen Contacts works as advertised, offering you a faster contact method for your friends, family, and co-workers. One thing you have to decide before getting the tweak is whether or not you want your home screen cluttered up with contact icons. Homescreen Contacts will not work with the iPad, but it does work with the iPhone and iPod touch and requires iOS 5 to be installed. The tweak looks like it has a lot of potential to make many iOS users happy with their speed-dialing. Visually, using the folder interface gives the tweak a lot of appeal.

Name: Homescreen Contacts
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.0-3
    Requirements: iOS 5, iPhone or iPod touch
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: yeahwangy
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: yeahwangy

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice clean tweak

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

So there's no ability to add a picture to your contact, which would then be used as the icon? If they could add that, this would be a pretty cool tweak/shortcut....Not digging the blank icon on the home screen, pretty ugly.
    El Zurdo

2 bucks?
    Not at all useful enough.
    Just click the phone icon...
    Have a random themeing/jaku question? Hit me up on twitter to avoid an off topic post. I am glad to help.
    @jimbohurt

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    So there's no ability to add a picture to your contact, which would then be used as the icon? If they could add that, this would be a pretty cool tweak/shortcut....Not digging the blank icon on the home screen, pretty ugly.
    There is. You have to set a picture to have a picture for the contact. Notice that my picture is the droplets picture. That's because my contacts picture is of the droplets.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    There is. You have to set a picture to have a picture for the contact. Notice that my picture is the droplets picture. That's because my contacts picture is of the droplets.
    It looks like a generic gray icon without zooming. Bad example choice man haha. Shoulda used a person
    Have a random themeing/jaku question? Hit me up on twitter to avoid an off topic post. I am glad to help.
    @jimbohurt

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Sweet! That makes a lot more sense, might have to check it out now. Thanks for pointing that out and clarifying. I thought it was a just a blank grayish bluish icon until I zoomed in all the way and noticed your infamous tweaked rain drop background......Where again can I get that background?? (kidding)
    El Zurdo

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHurt View Post
    It looks like a generic gray icon without zooming. Bad example choice man haha. Shoulda used a person
    I blame iCloud for making it sync across all my devices. Frowny pants .

Finally! Thanks...

Anyone had issues with this?? I bought it, activated it, resprung and even rebooted but it does not show "Add to homescreen" on my contacts

If I go into settings, it correctly shows as Activated so any ideas?? Only other contact related MS plugin I have is Cyntact that allows the adding of pics etc to contacts. That's it!
    do'h

Every thing in my life is a short cut so why not buying this tweak

Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    Anyone had issues with this?? I bought it, activated it, resprung and even rebooted but it does not show "Add to homescreen" on my contacts

If I go into settings, it correctly shows as Activated so any ideas?? Only other contact related MS plugin I have is Cyntact that allows the adding of pics etc to contacts. That's it!
    Isn't working for me either.

Things like this make me want to pirate tweaks. $1.99 is nothing to me, but it's the principle. I pissed away $2 and haven't heard from the dev.

Awesome.

Same story. Package purchased. Activated correctly. No add button to homescreen. Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi87 View Post
    Same story. Package purchased. Activated correctly. No add button to homescreen. Hmm
    Found the fix...

Instead of looking at your contacts in the Phone app, open the Contacts app. Pick a contact, and you should have the option for 'Add to Homescreen' there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexyy81 View Post
    Found the fix...

Instead of looking at your contacts in the Phone app, open the Contacts app. Pick a contact, and you should have the option for 'Add to Homescreen' there.
    You da man!!! Thank you

I have a different problem...I can add the contacts to the home screen but when I press on the shortcuts it is not opening anything...Any fix for it ?