+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Claims Apple May Finally Drop Google Maps in iOS 6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
*Image courtesy of 9to5Mac* A new report by 9to5Mac claims Apple’s next version of iOS will drop Google Maps support in favor of Apple’s own mapping software. Rumors surrounding Apple
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Report Claims Apple May Finally Drop Google Maps in iOS 6

*Image courtesy of 9to5Mac*

A new report by 9to5Mac claims Apple’s next version of iOS will drop Google Maps support in favor of Apple’s own mapping software.

Rumors surrounding Apple dropping Google Maps in favor of their own mapping software resurfaced last year with Apple’s acquisition of C3 Technologies. According to 9to5Mac’s source Apple’s Maps app will provide a “cleaner, faster, and more reliable experience.”

While these claims can’t be confirmed and won’t be until Apple actually does release their won mapping solution, C3’s mapping technology does offer some interesting advantages which the company once described as “Google Earth on steroids. Using declassified missile targeting methods C3’s mapping solution creates detailed 3D maps allowing for realistic flyovers that can even rotate the angle of view. This is in addition to C3’s street-level imagery captured with a multi-camera system.

While C3 is the latest Apple mapping acquisition, Apple has previously acquired mapping companies Placebase, and Poly9. Apple’s activity in the mapping sector may finally bear fruit this fall with the release of iOS 6.

Source: 9to5Mac [via PC World]

Thanks

About time they updated the maps. The different route options is nice but is not adequate.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple will most likely use this to do turn by turn navigation which they will let you use for a "small fee".
    Apple is always working on a way to get into your pocket book.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nah, unison999 - turn by turn will just be a feature unique to the new iPhone (guessing here). They've got to have something unique to the device besides just a new design (like how Siri was unique to iPhone 4S, FaceTime unique to iPhone 4, Video capture unique to iPhone 3GS, GPS unique to iPhone 3G).

Thanks
    Thanked 9,514 Times in 5,841 Posts

Exciting. Could be a game changer.

Thanks

lol - I guess apple might actually catch up to a feature offered on some of the cheapest phones for a long while now.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Apple will most likely use this to do turn by turn navigation which they will let you use for a "small fee".
    yep. just like with iMessages. damn hands all over the insides of my pockets, they are.

Thanks

trolls anyone?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I know no one will know until this is actually out, if it even does come out, but do you think this will be an efficient way to get directions and such? Meaning I love wasting time browsing google earth, but I would never use it for directions and find google maps on the iphone pretty useful when needing directions but is not something I just randomly use to look for interesting things.

Thanks

Wonder if it will have turn by turn directions ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hadzo View Post
    lol - I guess apple might actually catch up to a feature offered on some of the cheapest phones for a long while now.
    Like what? All the cheapish phones that I have had that had gps maps and turn by turn was pay-per-use. I mean some android phones had it but it is google's software to start with. And Apple has let apps in that do turn-by-turn into the appstore. So I am not sure what your statement is directed at or what they are catching up to.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Looks cool. If it showed the actual buildings and whatnot, finding a building I'm not familiar with would be much easier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I could be wrong, but I think paid nav is about dead. With so many free options, it's basically been forced. I'm so glad Apple told AT&T to stick the preloaded crapware up their a**es!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Damn can't even wait till you hear about it before you let your Apple hate out. Well better let it out now because when it's free you will have to find something else to hate.

Thanks

Whatever it will be it will be awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product! By the way to the naysayers talking about Apple wanting your $$> they are a business and all business' want your $$ haha! At least Apple is compatible with the most common needs, unlike android and kindle. Charging you for wave players or exchange compatible apps..ridiculous.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hadzo View Post
    Yep. Those cheap phones have been offering advanced 3D imagery using declassified missile mapping technology on their beautiful quarter-inch screens for more than a decade! Tell me more about how Apple is lagging behind!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If this is true Apple is being military grade maps to consumers. I really hope it lives up to the hype.