+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] AutoProtect - Make Your Passcode More Intelligent

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default [Review] AutoProtect - Make Your Passcode More Intelligent

While the iOS pass code system can be quite secure as long as people donít see you type it in, it still becomes a pain having to enter it when youíre in a safe situation where there is no chance of anyone getting into your iOS device. A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed AutoProtect by iOS developer FlloTouch will make the pass code system more intelligent so you donít have to enter it at every waking moment of your life that you try to use your iOS device.

So how does AutoProtect make your pass code more intelligent? The tweak makes it so iOS only requests you to enter your pass code when you are not on your home Wi-Fi network. The tweak comes with a preferences pane in the Settings application where you need to enter the name of your home Wi-Fi network. The tweak will actively check your Wi-Fi connections when you change a network and when you are connected to your home Wi-Fi network, iOS will not ask you for your pass code.

The idea behind this tweak is useful because while we are at home, it is usually only our families in the house. This can be either good or bad depending on your home environment. Some people use the pass code to keep family out of their iOS devices as well as their friends and strangers. Other people like to have a family device and keep other people out of it.

For the people that live alone, this tweak is great because it will save you time in getting into your iOS device and keep it secure while you are abroad. If you are interested in making your pass code more intelligent and saving yourself some time from having to enter the pass code all the time, then you should check this tweak out as it works pretty well.

You can enable or disable the tweak at any time to maximize your security.

Name: AutoProtect
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.1
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: Fllotouch
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Cydia

Thanks

Neat, but I wish there was a way to set your current wifi network instead of having to manually enter the SSID.

iPhone? More like MyPhone interstink's Avatar
    Thanks

AGREE with above, Needs a Wifi Network list. The ability to add more then one Wifi would be nice as well. Works good with Stride.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

or try download Exchange Unlock from Cydia... free and works great.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

CleverPin ftw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

Newbee123 (05-10-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only problem is.. the iphone disconnects from wifi when in sleep mode, so when you're at the lock screen it can take 4-6 seconds for the wifi to reconnect. So until it connects you have to enter the code. Very cool though.

Thanks

You can install a tweak like insomnia to prevent that from happening. It drains your battery faster though
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Green Apple
    Thanks

+1 RRoD420

guess i'll just pause for a few seconds before swiping. good concept though

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can see security threats. If I wanted to crack open that iPhone without the passcode, I would just change my wifi SSID to whatever the owner's SSID is. Better yet, I can just create a wifi AD-HOC without password. I'm not 100% sure whether iPhone connects using SSID or mac address, but i'm pretty sure i got connected to wifi somewhere really random because it was named the same as my wifi's name. that means, u can just setup a new wifi name and bypass the password

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I want something that will remember my user name and password for my school schedule online. my school does not allow smart phones to cache passwords and user names for that particular function. Something like password pilot would be nice... except it would store my login and password for my schedule.

ideas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Clever idea, but definitely needs the ability to add additional wi-fi network (say for home and work maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by alyshehata View Post
    I can see security threats. If I wanted to crack open that iPhone without the passcode, I would just change my wifi SSID to whatever the owner's SSID is. Better yet, I can just create a wifi AD-HOC without password. I'm not 100% sure whether iPhone connects using SSID or mac address, but i'm pretty sure i got connected to wifi somewhere really random because it was named the same as my wifi's name. that means, u can just setup a new wifi name and bypass the password
    That really wouldn't work though. Assuming you've password protected your wi-fi network, you may be able to create a network with the same name as the user's home network, but you'd also need to know what password that user used in order for the iPhone to automatically connect to it. Not to mention the unlikeliness of someone knowing the name of your home wi-fi network...

Green Apple
    Thanks

alyshehata, how would you know the owner's ssid to begin with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alyshehata View Post
    You can't bypass a wifi password...
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

CleverPin has been out for a long time now. It does this and it has more options.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Seephour For This Useful Post:

Newbee123 (05-10-2012)

Thanks

I am sure there will be an update for those features.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    You can't bypass a wifi password...
    +1 .. : )

iPhone? More like MyPhone satointl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yellowxboy View Post
    +1 RRoD420

guess i'll just pause for a few seconds before swiping. good concept though
    You could stare at an interesting wallpaper for those 4-6 seconds

Thanks

It doesnt work with ICaughtyou Pro. I still have to put my code in.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Would it be possible for this tweak, or a similar tweak, to use your iPhones location (gps) instead of wifi?

You could save multiple locations, such as work, home, friends house, etc. Then when you are at (or near) these locations, you wouldn't be required to enter your password. As soon as your iPhone leaves one of your designated "green zones", the password would once again be required.

A option to remotely disable the tweak would be nice as well, incase you lose your iPhone in a green zone.

This seems like it would be more useful...to me at least. It is unlikely that I will lose my phone. However, it is extremely likely someone at home will snoop through my phone....So I would rather have my password turned off at work, when it is constantly in my pocket or my hand. Not at home, where it is often laying around, surrounded by snoopy people!
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

This already exists with all those features!