+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NETGEAR Genie App: Print From Any iDevice With Any Printer

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
NETGEAR’s Genie App upgrade just made the mess that is AirPrint compatibility and Networked printing a lot less ugly. The new Genie App upgrade allows users to print from any
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default NETGEAR Genie App: Print From Any iDevice With Any Printer

NETGEAR’s Genie App upgrade just made the mess that is AirPrint compatibility and Networked printing a lot less ugly.

The new Genie App upgrade allows users to print from any computer, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to any networked or USB printer on their home network. The AirPrint compatible printer restrictions iOS users have been forced to suffer through are no more.

NETGEAR Genie, available for both Mac and PC, is essentially a home network control hub that allows users to monitor all facets of their home networks. The latest upgrade extends that control to printer functionality making any printer connected to a PC, wirelessly, or directly to a NETGEAR ReadySHARE print-capable router AirPrint compatible.

The update effectively eliminates the need to upgrade older printers to ensure a user’s printing solution is AirPrint approved. Most importantly, users do not need a NETGEAR router to take advantage of the AirPrint function. Users only need to download the Genie app for their Mac or PC and select which printers they want their iOS devices to be able to print from. These printers will show up as options in the iOS device’s print function.

Advanced features like parental controls, ReadySHARE, and advanced router settings won't work with non-NETGEAR routers, and older NETGEAR models. But, the elimination the AirPrint requirement is enough to warrant a download.

Source: Coolest Gadgets, NETGEAR

Thanks

I tried it and works great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Just downloaded it. Works flawlessly. Just pick ur printer and BAM! Ready to print from iPhone. Why didn't Apple just make it so iDevices can print to any wifi printer.. so dumb.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I had to use a convoluted workaround. This looks MUCH nicer. Apple should have offered this THEMSELVES from the getgo. It's ridiculous that they don't.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow! works perfect! Long overdue program.

Banned
    Thanks

Nice that we finally got a work around for stupid Apple dumb decisions. AirPrint should work with all wireless printers so why would they limit it to 8 or so printers??? I'm sure a monkey runs Apple as most of what they do is just plain stupid.

Anyway, the app works very nicely as Air Print now works BUT it doesn't log into my Netgear router. It says there is an update which I know there is, it can see my network but it just refuses to log in. Thats from the PC app and the iPhone app both refusing to log in.
    At least Air Print now works.

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmm....not working for me.

Thanks

I was amazed it worked seamlessly! May have knocked my wifi thermostat offline but everything is working again after a reset. Nice!

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonkjon View Post
    hmmm....not working for me.
    Never mind, I think I got it......
    "I own this block now!"-unknown Buuf gangster

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Piece of cake!��

Banned
    Thanks

It is so pathetic that I can get AirPrint functionality for my non-AirPrint compatible printer by simply checking a box in 3rd party software, yet Apple refuses to provide the same functionality as a stand-alone, downloadable app. It's things like this that make me want to say "SCREW YOU, Apple!" I don't even have a NETGEAR router so other than enabling AirPrint, this software is completely useless to me.

Thanks again Apple... douche bags...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    It is so pathetic that I can get AirPrint functionality for my non-AirPrint compatible printer by simply checking a box in 3rd party software, yet Apple refuses to provide the same functionality as a stand-alone, downloadable app. It's things like this that make me want to say "SCREW YOU, Apple!" I don't even have a NETGEAR router so other than enabling AirPrint, this software is completely useless to me.

Thanks again Apple... douche bags...
    I DID just say Screw You to apple. I just brought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 and its heaps better than an iPad. It looks heaps better and the stock features are so awesome. And to jailbreak you tick a box and to root you download an app from the google play store.
    Its SOOOO much more user friendly than an iPad I'm really surprised it took me so long to get one.
    Just about everything that Apple locks out of the iPad the Android tablets come stock with.

Thanks

What am I missing? None of the features seem to be available if you don't have a netgear router.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks
    Default Should be "Print from any iDevice with any printer and a Mac/PC running this software"
    Pretty cool app, but the headline needs to be clarified:

You CANNOT print to any printer from any iDevice with just the iOS version of this software. You have to have a computer on the network on and running this software for that functionality, or you need a supported NETGEAR router (there are 9 as of this posting) if you would rather not have to have a computer on.

For anyone like me with a different branded router and iOS devices you want to print from without a computer running simultaneously, this does not get it done.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats pretty cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So I have installed the software on my laptop. When I click one the AirPrint tab it says I need to have iTunes and adobe reader installed. Both are installed, so I clicked refresh but it never shows me the screen to select my printer. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Been waiting for this for sometime now! Finally!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha