Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Network to Support iPhone by Q4 2012

Thanks

Default T-Mobile Network to Support iPhone by Q4 2012

T-Mobile has finally revealed plans for the wireless carrier’s network to offer iPhone compatible HSPA+ 4G service by the end of the year. Neville Ray, T-Mobile’s CTO, recently made comments during a dinner event that T-Mobile will use a 1900 MHz spectrum for its upgraded network that should allow iPhone users to access to 4G speeds.

The company also announced its plans in a press release as well, leaving many T-Mobile iPhone users excited. "As part of the company's network modernization effort, T-Mobile also plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band in a large number of markets by the end of the year," the statement read. "Rolling out 4G HSPA+ services in the 1900 MHz band will also provide customers with the ability to use a broader range of devices, including the iPhone, on T-Mobile's 4G network."

T-Mobile was able to obtain the much-needed spectrum from AT&T as part of the breakup fee of the previously attempted merger between the two companies. Though T-Mobile is largely focusing on upgrading to an LTE network, the company has recommitted some of its 1900 MHz spectrum for its HSPA+ 4G network. Current iPhone models are expected to be able to take advantage of the network as a result. Subscribers who use unlocked iPhones on the T-Mobile network are currently limited to 2G speeds, which is a huge let-down for many.

Ray had mentioned that the company marketing a campaign targeting iPhone users would “make sense” later this year but he didn’t confirm any plans for one. As of right now, T-Mobile is the only major carrier in the U.S. that does not sell the iPhone and has even went as far as blaming the iPhone 4S as being the primary reason for a loss of more than 700,000 contract customers during the fourth quarter of 2011. According to T-Mobile CEO, Phillip Humm, the frequency band incompatibility is the “key reason” that the company doesn’t officially offer Apple’s iPhone. Access to better speeds on the T-Mobile network among iPhone users is something that is around the corner at this point and it is just a matter of waiting.

Source: All Things D, T-Mobile (Press Release)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I'll absolutely go right back to T-Mobile when this happens. Absolutely. I LOVED them, and they were about $40 cheaper so in a year's time, I'd more than save the ETF. I'd also like to keep my 4S until it's pretty much dead, so even more savings to be had. Hopefully by that time, T-Mobile will just offer the iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Sucks?? Not for the unlocked

Thanks

FINALLY! The fact that TMo didn't offer the iPhone, is the only reason I left for AT&T. Once my AT&T contract is up, im switching back to TMo..im sure there are countless users that will do the same. Maybe they will launch the new iPhone with Tmo?? Time will certainly tell

Quote Originally Posted by Cmds187 View Post
    Sucks?? Not for the unlocked
    I hear ya! I bought one factory unlocked iPhone for $700. When it was time to upgrade to the iPhone 4 i tried to sell it..no one would go above $400 for it. Unless you are traveling abroad and need access to multiple networks, factory unlocked iPhones are just over priced bricks to me..for now anyway. Its the only iPhone that you can't make a profit on haha! Not to mention you're stuck with 2G speeds. Until all of the above changes, i'll stick with software unlocks..just saying.
    Last edited by bigboyz; 05-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I hear ya! I bought one factory unlocked iPhone for $700. When it was time to upgrade to the iPhone 4 i tried to sell it..no one would go above $400 for it.
    Why would you expect to make a profit on a year old phone (and a model that has a newer version), even a factory unlocked model? You are going to lose money as something ages.
    Hmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Why would you expect to make a profit on a year old phone (and a model that has a newer version), even a factory unlocked model? You are going to lose money as something ages.
    I have a 4G..i can still sell it for more than the purchase price. I have a 4S..you get the point(i hope anyway) Like i said the factory unlocked is a great idea but there is not turn around for it..you lose $ the day you buy it. That is my point. I keep my phones in mint condition and always turn a profit when I sell them. Only one I could not is the factory unlocked iPhone.

Default 3G and MMS/APN Settings?
    I am extremely excited with a rollout plan to increase my T-Mobile speed to 3g on my current iPhones. The bigger question will T-Mobile support MMS messages on a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 or a 3GS at this time? Will they have an APN to actually install or will we be stuck manually inserting the carrier settings? Will I loose my ability to tether or will they want to charge me extra? Lots of questions and only a few more months to go!
    Last edited by ryanortiz; 05-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.

I have a factory unlocked iphone 4S on t-mobile so I'm thrilled to hear the news.. I always assumed T-Mobile has this planned from the get-go because I didn't think there was any way the government would allow the merger .. so T-Mobile had it in the deal that they would get this if it didn't go through.. a Win Win for them ..

My iPhone before this was the original one from 2007 .. I take good care of my equipment and hope to see my 4s get a long life.. a switch to 4g later this year will feel like an upgrade.

Now for a 5.1 jailbreak.

I have a 4G..i can still sell it for more than the purchase price. I have a 4S..you get the point(i hope anyway) Like i said the factory unlocked is a great idea but there is not turn around for it..you lose $ the day you buy it. That is my point. I keep my phones in mint condition and always turn a profit when I sell them. Only one I could not is the factory unlocked iPhone.
    If the device isn't factory unlocked then it was purchased with a subsidy .. which means it's under contract and you'll have to pay a disconnect fee.. according to AT&T this fee is $325 -$10 for every full month of service you finished.. after a year that would knock off $120 leaving you with a $205.00 disconnect fee.. a new iPhone 4s costs you$ 200 for the base model .. $200+$205 = $405.00 .. not to mention a year of devaluation on top of the cost to buy and cost to break your contract... but you also compound that by the fact the device is locked to the carrier and a software unlock is unstable.. there's no such thing as a stable soft unlock for modern iphones.. ( not even the recent unlock or the gevey sims ) .. the fact remains people will pay more for a factory unlocked device... it adds value ..

If you think you're profiting, you're delusional .. or you found a sucker.
    Last edited by oneduality; 05-08-2012 at 09:51 AM.

where are u selling that u can profit off a factory unlocked? def not in the usa b/c why would people pay more for something they can pay in store for cheaper than u? anything loses money the day u buy it unless it's like rare or a collectors item etc time deal. iphones are a plenty everywhere these days... they are def not hard to find.

[QUOTE=oneduality;6519602]I have a factory unlocked iphone 4S on t-mobile so I'm thrilled to hear the news.. I always assumed T-Mobile has this planned from the get-go because I didn't think there was any way the government would allow the merger .. so T-Mobile had it in the deal that they would get this if it didn't go through.. a Win Win for them ..

My iPhone before this was the original one from 2007 .. I take good care of my equipment and hope to see my 4s get a long life.. a switch to 4g later this year will feel like an upgrade.

Now for a 5.1 jailbreak.

If the device isn't factory unlocked then it was purchased with a subsidy .. which means it's under contract and you'll have to pay a disconnect fee.. according to AT&T this fee is $325 -$10 for every full month of service you finished.. after a year that would knock off $120 leaving you with a $205.00 disconnect fee.. a new iPhone 4s costs you$ 200 for the base model .. $200+$205 = $405.00 .. not to mention a year of devaluation on top of the cost to buy and cost to break your contract... but you also compound that by the fact the device is locked to the carrier and a software unlock is unstable.. there's no such thing as a stable soft unlock for modern iphones.. ( not even the recent unlock or the gevey sims ) .. ultimately unless you're selling the device you paid $199 for new for over $400 .. you're not making a profit when all is said and done =) .. and I don't know anyone who's going to pay you even $199 for a iPhone 4 when the new device costs the same.. that's delusional

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So I have an iPhone 4S factory unlocked on tmobile. Whenever they upgrade to 4G speeds, will I be able to use Tmobiles 3G or 4G or have to get the newest iPhone and buy it factory unlocked (unless tmobile gets the iPhone)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I definitely would switch back to T-Mobile if the iPhone is available for it.

I do find it funny that T-Mobile's new test drive campaign advertises it's 4G to be faster than VZW, Sprint, and AT&T all in which the website uses the iPhone to demonstrate against. But T-Mo is so willing to make changes for the iPhone to be able to use its 4G data.

not sure if tmo will force me to add their data plan

T-Mobile is straight garbage! Worst customer service ever. If I do go to them; pre-paid only. Than again, once they get a hold of few iPhone users prices will be raised and there will be no difference in cost vs. any other carrier.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,070 Times in 6,151 Posts

It's about time. Fingers crossed this will happen.

If they have that worked out by the time my contract is up then I will switch over to them and use my iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    T-Mobile is straight garbage! Worst customer service ever. If I do go to them; pre-paid only. Than again, once they get a hold of few iPhone users prices will be raised and there will be no difference in cost vs. any other carrier.
    Odd, I have been with them for 10 plus years, and never had an issue with them at all (and I have had a few). I mean, they even have special tech support for customers that use iPhones and have issues. A repo on Cydia (http//beta.leimobile.com/repo/) for users that have jailbroken and are missing Cellular Data settings for MMS.
    Thumbs up for me.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

TMO will be constantly playing catch-up. They are finally getting 3G to iPhone users, but no LTE. I suppose for those who don't much care about LTE, it's a decent deal. Too little too late for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    I think you are in the minority here. I had to leave TMO due to reception issues and was sad to leave because of the wonderful customer service I had. They even let us out of our contract 8 months early with no ETF since we were unhappy. And no, we didn't yell or anything. Just explained we were having issues after we moved and they were happy to help.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

This doesn't make any sense. It says that newer models can utilize the 4G network, but unlocked phones cannot. How does a phone even work on T-Mobile if it's not unlocked in the first place? I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked by AT&T, so what does that mean for me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smo69 View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. It says that newer models can utilize the 4G network, but unlocked phones cannot. How does a phone even work on T-Mobile if it's not unlocked in the first place? I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked by AT&T, so what does that mean for me?
    I think you misread it.
    Subscribers who use unlocked iPhones on the T-Mobile network are currently limited to 2G speeds
    T-Mobile also plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band in a large number of markets by the end of the year," the statement read. "Rolling out 4G HSPA+ services in the 1900 MHz band will also provide customers with the ability to use a broader range of devices, including the iPhone, on T-Mobile's 4G network."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast