Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] SimpleWiFi for Notification Center - Wi-Fi Information At Your Fingertips

Default [Review] SimpleWiFi for Notification Center - Wi-Fi Information At Your Fingertips

Of all the Notification Center widgets being released into Cydia since iOS 5ís launch, this new one, dubbed SimpleWiFi for Notification Center by iOS developer Pascal, allows you to see some critical Wi-Fi information right from Notification Center including the name of your Internet access point (SSID) and your local IP address. The widget is also very small, taking up just a small amount of space and keeping your Notification Center looking as spiffy as ever.

Apart from displaying your Internet access point name and your local IP address, the widget also comes with a miniature switch for toggling your Wi-Fi on and off. The switch is extremely small and slightly difficult to grab ahold of, however with a little concentration and nerves of steel, you can avoid going through the maze that is your Settings application.

Since Wi-Fi information is a critical part of any device, this tweak could only be a handy asset to you. OpenSSH is a common piece of software installed on jailbroken iPhones and this widget gives you an easy peek at the IP address you need to use to SSH into your iOS device. The widget also lets you know what router you are connected to if there are several Wi-Fi networks around you.

SimpleWiFi for Notification Center can be enabled or disabled at any time by dragging the widget in and out of Notification Center from the Notifications preferences pane in the Settings application. There are no options to configure for the widget. After installing, you may have to drag the widget into Notification Center via Settings before you can use it. Since itís free, be sure to give this a try!

Name: SimpleWiFi for Notification Center
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-3
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Pascal
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

Fbi surveillance van...win...
    (null)

It's tweaks like this that make my day. Simple, sleek, and well done! Kudos to the dev!

Quote Originally Posted by expl0itfinder View Post
    Fbi surveillance van...win...
    That really freaked me out for a second. That ssid is very similar to what mine is. lol

Thanks

Nice tweak
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Or you could just use the SBSettings drop down window for all this information without installing anything extra. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
    Or you could just use the SBSettings drop down window for all this information without installing anything extra. *shrug*
    Except that doesn't show what ssid you're connected to...

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by tbare83 View Post
    so?

this tweak must of not worked for me because I don't see anything new in my notification.

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    this tweak must of not worked for me because I don't see anything new in my notification.
    you have to turn it on in Settings > notifications

Quote Originally Posted by tbare83 View Post
    Sure it does. Tap and hold the WiFi button in the SBsettings panel, and a sheet appears that tells you the name of the SSID you're connected to.

Also under the "More" settings is an option to show the SSID in the menubar.

Another nice tweak is "WiiCarrier" as it puts the name of the SSID in your iOS menubar. Tap it, and it shows the IP address.

I'm not complaining, just clarifying. The more tweaks like this out there, the better as far as I am concerned. So much of it is free. Choice and innovation is good. Gives us options, and might push Apple to consider rolling some of this UI in for us, too.
    Last edited by Fofer; 05-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Sure it does. Tap and hold the WiFi button in the SBsettings panel, and a sheet appears that tells you the name of the SSID you're connected to.
    Well I'll be...

I still like it visible without having to tap/hold though... And I agree, options are great...

Except that SBSettings still requires Activator as a dependency and not everyone wants to put bloatware on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Except that SBSettings still requires Activator as a dependency and not everyone wants to put bloatware on their phones.
    Activator = "bloatware?" Hahahahahahaaaa! Good one, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Activator = "bloatware?" Hahahahahahaaaa! Good one, mate.
    "Hahahahahahaaaa!" Yes, it is. SBSettings is bloatware because it has a dependency called Activator. I have no need for Activator now that SBSettings has a notification center widget, so I no longer use SBSettings, and will not until they get rid of this dependency.

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    "Hahahahahahaaaa!" Yes, it is. SBSettings is bloatware because it has a dependency called Activator. I have no need for Activator now that SBSettings has a notification center widget, so I no longer use SBSettings, and will not until they get rid of this dependency.
    Oh, you were serious? Methinks you need to look up the definition of "bloatware."

It's basically defined as unnecessary features or dependencies that are not used by the end user. Not having an option of doing away with this dependency now that the software no longer needs it to run makes it bloated. You're obviously fine loading up your devices with crap you don't need. I am not.

You're more focused on the principle than the real-world effects. I just want the software that is most powerful and does the job best, all things considered. You call it "crap I don't need" and I call it an "imperceptible price to pay for the well-chosen software I like best." All of these tweaks are free, I can easily try them all (and do.) Activator has no ill effects on my system whatsoever, and I still like SBsettings best, for the functionality I frequently use it for. All of the other replacements somehow manage to fall short. Get over it.

You're wrong for saying that requiring a not-needed dependency makes something bloatware. You're wrong for obviously thinking everything in life should suit everyone equally. Get over it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast