+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Evidence Surfaces That Apple's Next Gen iPhone Will Be Called 'iPhone 5'?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's been the subject of heated debate around MMi for well over six months. At first, many believed that the last iPhone refresh (what would become the iPhone 4S) would
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Evidence Surfaces That Apple's Next Gen iPhone Will Be Called 'iPhone 5'?

It's been the subject of heated debate around MMi for well over six months.

At first, many believed that the last iPhone refresh (what would become the iPhone 4S) would carry the moniker "iPhone 5." Of course, we all know now that the "iPhone 5" was never used as the promotional branding of the most recent iPhone.

This reality has led some to wonder if the next refresh will be the iPhone 5. Or, perhaps, will Apple take the chronologically accurate approach and label the next release as the "iPhone 6"? Others have even suggested that Apple may go the iPad marketing route and drop numerical tags altogether. So will the next new iPhone simply be billed as the "new iPhone"?

Over the weekend, some believe a clue to Apple's naming plans surfaced through the company's bid to acquire the rights to iPhone5.com through the World Intellectual Property Organization. For the time being, that domain is owned by another non-Apple entity. And Apple's wants it.

Of course, just because Apple is seeking ownership of this domain doesn't mean it will call the next iPhone the "iPhone 5," but a lot of people are taking this news as indication of Apple's looming plans. After all, just last year Apple similarly went the legal route to acquire rights to iphone4s.com.

Although it's possible that Apple will unveil the next-gen iPhone at WWDC in June, odds favor an October debut. And chances are, we won't know what the next phone will officially be called until that time.

Source: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You got something when you find a prototype in a bar. Now, we got zero. Apple uses to mislead us in several ways due to the anxious people chasing its tale for the "find out" race. I prefer to wait, enjoy the magic moment when happens and not waste time trying to discover the magician trick. Its an expensive, long lasting, well crafted show since 1997 (The Return of the Jedi) so i enjoy that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Saliola View Post
    You got something when you find a prototype in a bar. Now, we got zero. Apple uses to mislead us in several ways due to the anxious people chasing its tale for the "find out" race. I prefer to wait, enjoy the magic moment when happens and not waste time trying to discover the magician trick. Its an expensive, long lasting, well crafted show since 1997 (The Return of the Jedi) so i enjoy that way.
    I agree. Well said.

Green Apple
    Thanks

iphone6.com?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If it's not called iPhone 4XX (where XX is another letter(s)), it will be called iPhone 5, the only logical and sensical name.

And before the inevitable, "but it's not the 5th iPhone" comments....when has that ever stopped products from getting a numbered name when the number doesn't correspond to the nth version.

Video games are a prime example. Assassin's Creed 3 is the 5th game. Halo 4 is the 6th game. Resident Evil 6 is like the 10th game. (I might be wrong with some of those, but the point remains)

iPhone 5 makes sense and any argument to call it iPhone 6 does not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

any argument about what a phone will be called doesnt make sense

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banks4004 View Post
    any argument about what a phone will be called doesnt make sense
    To add to what you said, a news article about what a device may be called doesn't make sense as well.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    If it's not called iPhone 4XX (where XX is another letter(s)), it will be called iPhone 5, the only logical and sensical name.
    with that logic we'd all be buying an iPad 3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It'll be called, 'the new iPhone'...

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 895 Posts

The new iPhone...because Tom cook what's something of his own...but it should be the called the Steve jobs iPhone...because he was the brains behind the iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously I don't care what they call the phone.

Thanks

Holy crap, who would have guessed?
    if they call it the new iphone, ima laugh in their face.

*T*
    Thanks

I care so much

Quote Originally Posted by littlelisa63 View Post
    The new iPhone...because Tom cook what's something of his own...but it should be the called the Steve jobs iPhone...because he was the brains behind the iPhone
    You suck balls at grammar lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

It's funny how no one noticed that apple also named the MacBook Pro the new MacBook Pro. No one cares about this but there is a lot of commotion for the new iPad...

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Banned
    Thanks

Apple are just stupid and have no imagination when it comes to naming things.
    Look at the iPad. They already have an iPad but they had to name the latest one iPad. Did they forget they already have one named that?
    I would expect something stupid like iPhone again. Then what comes next? The new iPhone 3G?

And it is the 6th iPhone so if they name it iPhone 5 they really are stupid.

But who really cares. People thought the 4S was going to be iPhone 5 and there was a big uproar when it got released as 4S so I think no matter what people guess they will change their minds in the end and call it something stipid like iPhone 4T or some stupid name like that.
    How about being original and call it something like iPhone Peter, or iPhone teacup? Something with a tiny bit of thought to it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Apple are just stupid and have no imagination when it comes to naming things.
    Look at the iPad. They already have an iPad but they had to name the latest one iPad. Did they forget they already have one named that?
    I would expect something stupid like iPhone again. Then what comes next? The new iPhone 3G?
    Now THAT made me laugh. I guess Sony is stupid as well to name their systems Playstation, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. How about movies that lead in a part 1,2,3.... Etc. I think to say that they have no imagination is by far the dumbest thing I've read so far.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I liked the Naked Gun series. 1, 2 1/2, 33 1/3. One of Leslie Neilson's best.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And before the inevitable, "but it's not the 5th iPhone" comments....when has that ever stopped products from getting a numbered name when the number doesn't correspond to the nth version.

Video games are a prime example. Assassin's Creed 3 is the 5th game. Halo 4 is the 6th game. Resident Evil 6 is like the 10th game. (I might be wrong with some of those, but the point remains)

iPhone 5 makes no sense. Each iPhones name has a reason 3G had 3G, 3Gs was 3G and speed, etc your argument that 5 makes any sence is just dumb it doesn't mean anything. I think apples a little smarter than you

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The only way your argument would hold up is if there was an iPhone 2, but there wasn't. Apple went from iPhone to iPhone 3G (even though that has nothing to do with the generation) and the number 2 was completely skipped. Why can't the number 5 be skipped? The iPhone 4 was the only iPhone to be named after its generation and it was named so because it was the 4th gen iPhone. If Apple named the next iPhone "iPhone 5" that would be extremely stupid IMO.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.